Sponsored by:

Is Piston Slap A Fault/Defect

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2003, 09:10 PM
paul28
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anybody offer any advice please?

I have recently purchased an Impreza Turbo 1998 Model from a Subaru dealer that has piston slap along with a other few problems.

I am trying to exchange the car for another model as I am not happy with the car, as I am entitled to under Subaru's warranty type thing (30 days ownership, less than a thousand miles covered) . To reject the car it has to have a proven fault. The only problem is that the dealer is being really awkward saying that this is a trait/characteristic of this model/year and car, and will not cause any problems. I have took the car to another dealer who says this is a problem and they would have fixed the problem before putting it on the forecourt. Another dealer I phoned also said a similar thing. Really all I need to establish is whether it is a fault or a characteristic because if I take the dealer to the small claims court an independant mechanic/engineer will have to judge piston slap as a fault not a characteristic to force the dealer to rectify it. Basically he is saying he is not bothered what other dealers think and he has told me to take it to the small claims court as I will just be wasting my time and money! It appears that I do not have a leg to stand on after buying an expensive car from a main dealer.
Old 16 September 2003, 09:34 PM
harrymonk
Scooby Regular

where abouts was the dodgey dealer
Old 16 September 2003, 09:34 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

I suggest you do a search on this forum for piston slap (sorry, don't know how to embed a link to the relevant posts, or I would do it here), there are a lot threads on the subject, particularly with regard to MY97/98 cars. From the posts I have read, it appears that this is a known defect with some 97/98 cars, and some owners have (I believe) been sucessful in getting this problem repaired under warranty.

However, I would check out the posts for youself, and see what other owners have to say. There are a number of Subaru engine experts who contribute to this forum, so they should be able to give you the facts.
Old 16 September 2003, 09:36 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

My car had a new short engine a couple of years back, FOC under warranty by Subaru, for this very problem. This leads me to believe that Subaru recognise it as a fault. The dealer, IMO, is trying to blag you, call his bluff and I think you will win.
Old 16 September 2003, 10:45 PM
paul28
Scooby Newbie

Red face

Sulli I appreciate the advice, the main thing that annoys me about my situation is that this dealer is highly regarded on Scoobynet and SIDC for their excellent customer service reputation. People seem to travel for miles to buy a car from this dealer for their supposedly brilliant reputation. What would they think if the dealer sells cars on to unsuspecting customers who are not technically minded with cars that have a major defect that should of been rectified before hitting the forecourt. To me there is very little protection when buying a used car, I went to this dealer because I thought they had a good reputation. Really I should of bought it private for thousands less as I would of had the extra funds to pay for the large repair bills.
Old 16 September 2003, 10:58 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Tempted to name and shame Mate?
Old 16 September 2003, 11:02 PM
paul28
Scooby Newbie

Yes I am but after doing a search on here it appears that a lot of you guys seem to think that sun shines out of this sales managers ****, would be a shame to burst the bubble wouldn't it
:-)
Old 17 September 2003, 12:08 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

A lot of those people may change their opinions if they find out who you are talking about.

Name them - or maybe phone the dealer tomorrow, say you've checked on Scoobynet, and you're now confident that slap is a known defect, then say you'll name them unless you get some satisfaction!
Old 17 September 2003, 02:25 AM
KaraK
Scooby Regular

I had exactly the same problem with my MY98 - see this thread http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=217397

Eventually after much bitching I got it sorted, my dealer the cheeky ***** charged me half the cost of the repair. Although they did offer to swap the car. Have a look on the Citizens Advice site, I know when I was looking it had lots of useful things there about second hand cars and your rights etc.

Oh and name the dealer, would be very interested to hear if it's mine!

Will maybe post more info later, am a little busy atm.
Old 17 September 2003, 02:49 AM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

How about getting an independent mechanical inspection (RAC, AA etc) and slapping (no pun intended)it under the dealer principle`s nose.

If the sales manager is being difficult then ask to see the dealer principle.
Old 17 September 2003, 07:23 AM
donutman
Scooby Regular

take it back on saturday morning when he is busy and give him the keys (take some pics).make a great big sign like a A board type that you can wear and then walk up and down all day outside the showroom.
Old 17 September 2003, 07:43 AM
paul28
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Cheers guys I really appreciate this advice as this situation is really distressing. And the dealers attitude throughout has being nothing short of disgusting, these people know the legal system like the back of their hand there is just no protection whatsover for the individual, it is really up to the policy of the individual dealer with regards customer service. If like this dealer that has no morals whatsover you are screwed. These 30 day exchange policies are not worth the paper that they are wrote on if you read the fine print. Keep the great comments guys as hopefully this sales manager will be reading this as he often posts on here, he will know who I am!
Old 17 September 2003, 08:43 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a little curious how you understood it to be PS in the first place?
When you test drove the car, was it already warmed up for you and also when you picked it up after buying it?
Was it the next morning that you heard the dreaded chuffing?
I would suggest contacting IM and tell them the story to see if it puts pressure on this dealer.

If you've paid by CC or HP then you have the opportunity to go through the money lender rather than the dealership to put the purchase in dispute to withold money to the dealer until the problem is resolved. This may focus their mind on sorting the problem.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if in the end a compromise is reached with you paying a % of the repair. Ultimately I guess it is buyer beware and without a proper inspection from the start it can be a big risk.

Nick
Old 18 September 2003, 01:06 AM
KaraK
Scooby Regular

paul look on the citizens advice site - when I had my trouble I found lots of useful information on there regarding your rights and second hand cars.
Old 18 September 2003, 12:10 PM
Group Captain Smudger
Scooby Regular

I did a search on the net for piston slap a while ago as I thought I might have had the dreaded symptoms. There was a good piece about it from an American engineer type. Basically he said it shouldn't be regarded as a problem on modern car engines. I'd only suggest that you read it if only to put your mind at ease (sorry can't remember the website address).