Sponsored by:

quick get away

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2003, 04:23 PM
mrjoff
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Ok, i'm running in my new wrx so am not trying to destroy the engine or anything, but what is the best way to get a smooth get away from the lights? So far it either seems to lurch forward and then basically stop or goes but with no pull at all. i didn't have any problems when I test drove one or in my elise so is it just a running in / getting used to turbo thing? Please note I am not trying to waste people at the lights here, just wanting to drive it smoothly!
Old 16 September 2003, 04:34 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Pulling away smoothly shouldn't be any harder in an Impreza than it is in any other car. Are you saying the clutch is engaging inconistently, or that the engine is dying/inconsistent?
Old 16 September 2003, 05:01 PM
Glenn Coombs
Scooby Regular

I also find it much harder to get off the line quickly in the impreza than in any of my previous cars. I'd just put it down to the clutch being crap (cold start juddering etc).

If I don't give it enough revs then everything bogs down and if I give it too much then the clutch slips. Occasionaly though I get it just right and it absolutely flies away Shame it isn't very consistent though...
Old 16 September 2003, 05:02 PM
mrjoff
Scooby Newbie

Smile

I don't know really it just isn't as smooth as the tester, its only done 270 miles so far so maybe just need to give it a bit more time to loosen up? It is more noticeable when you are trying to make a slightly more enthusiastic get away though.
Old 16 September 2003, 05:28 PM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

think I know what you mean (but standby for the guys who know what they're really talking about to correct). A 'normal' sedate pull away is no problem in Impreza - i.e. just as easy as any car with a moderately heavy clutch action.

The tricky bit is trying to do a reasonably quick but not smokin' start. Easy to
A. not dial in enough power ("bog" as above) or
B. overdo it and amaze yourself at the AWD as it shreds ashphalt.

The answer (IMVHO) - practise the 2,500-800 revs/ease in approach (mines a PPP) Any more and I get B as above.

PS last time I floored it out of roundabout I put a stonechip deadcentre in Morgan Aero8 Press Demo windscreen driven behind me by my father.... right in sightline - handy for BrandsHatch track day we were heading to!
Old 16 September 2003, 05:44 PM
Glenn Coombs
Scooby Regular

I find that the difference with the impreza is that the revs tend to drop more than I am expecting as the power is applied leading to it bogging down. Not had this with other turbo equipped cars. Maybe it is something to do with the 4 wheel drive. Or maybe it really is just because my clutch is crap...
Old 16 September 2003, 06:18 PM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

im finding same problemin my STi8, pulling out of a junction, car approaching [ not madly close] so of course i want to pull out quickly so as not to force him to brake and also quiclkly cos after all, i bought the bloody thing to pull away quick its an impreza lolol
so how do i do it ?? step by step as im a retard here. ??
i seem to pull away in 1st and it seems to plod for 1 long second [ thats a long time !] then the revs pick up and it pulls away.... but from standstill it seems a bit flat, im getting it ppp'd but some driving advice would be appreciated
paul
Old 16 September 2003, 06:42 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Always difficult to describe something like this, much better to sit in the passenger seat and criticise!

If you are talking about genuinely quick starts, the method that works for me is to dial up around 4500rpm, hold it for a couple of seconds to get a bit of positive pressure in the intercooler, then progressively open the throttle right out while feeding in the clutch.

The key here is the word "progressively", and it's easier to demonstrate than say in words. If you literally stamp on the throttle at the same time as releasing the clutch, you will let all the boost that's stored in the inlet tract into the engine in one hit, causing an intial jump forward, but hesitation as soon as it's gone and there's no more air following it.

Feed it in a little more progressively as the load comes onto the engine and it'll reach the turbo more progressively, which will speed that up more efficiently, which which will bring more boost in more quickly etc. etc.

All this said though, sluggishness pulling away does seem to be a bit of a theme with the MY03's, so part of the problem may be due to the way the cars are mapped. Not driven one yet so not in a position to comment. With a bit of luck someone who's done so will know more.
Old 16 September 2003, 08:51 PM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

im hoping the ppp kit will rectify some of this problem...... the 0 to 60 time will be reduced apparently to around 4.5 secs.. !
paul
Old 16 September 2003, 09:14 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

...In the hands of a skilled driver, who won't be too concerned about mechanical sensitivity!
Old 16 September 2003, 09:27 PM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

so what about in my hands then ??? lolol
Old 16 September 2003, 09:33 PM
Phil WRX 01
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem with my01 wrx . Iam not that confident in fast take off from lights reason being my scoob just seems to jump forward pause then take off .
The first week that I had the car I come up against a saxo vtr at the lights he began reving his engine so I thought YES! I'will show him . Much to my amazement he got a way first because of the take off problem .
I have been practising at the weekend and it does help to give it a little more throttle than you would with prevous cars ie not scoobs .
I had a ford focus 1.8 i 16v zetec before I purchased my scoob and had no problem with take off.
Old 16 September 2003, 09:44 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

my scoob just seems to jump forward pause then take off
See above about not "stamping" on the throttle. Makes a world of difference. Either that or give up trying to blow little normally aspirated cars off!
Old 16 September 2003, 09:49 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I have noticed it a lot more in my 03 than I did in my previous STi's.

Try using about 500 revs more than you think you really need. 2000 revs may sound high but its probably about right.

Feed the clutch in slowly, but not slow enough to let it slip if you know what i mean.

Mine bogs down like a bitch and its just a case of getting used to it.
Old 17 September 2003, 05:28 PM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

things seem to be getting a little better using the 2000 to 3000 revs and feeding the clutch so as to give the engine revs progressivley, anyway i seem to be able to pull away now a little sharper without that lag and lull/flat spot that i usually experience, so thanks for the advice, its taking me a bit of practice, but its defo better, i imagine things will be much easier/responsive when i get it prodrived in a couple of weeks after me holliday [me missus is going ape cos all i keep saying is i cant wait to get back from me hols to get me car done lolol], after its prodrived i hope the inc in torque and the fact that ill be able to hear my zorst note and so gauge my revs better without having to keep glancing at the rev counter will help !
paul
Old 17 September 2003, 07:03 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Cool

You'll probably find it's down to 2 things:

1) sod all power below 2500 rpm
2) AWD

IMHO, DO NOT TRY TO SLIP THE CLUTCH@5000rpm - V Good way to destroy it

If you're used to 2 wheel drive (Probably 1 wheel drive really (NOT LSD)) then you're also used to the excess wheel speed being burned away by wheel spin until the car is up to speed. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN IN AN IMPREZA

It does take some getting used to, I still occassionally bog mine after 50K miles driving it....

Best way is as 'gm' advises, don't use full throttle straight away - no car likes this at low revs, but as described previously, most cars cope with wheel spin or clutch slip - no chance here I'm afraid

Then again - That's one of the reasons why we have them

Mark
Old 17 September 2003, 07:14 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft
rev the engine to approx 5000rpm then side step of the clutch m8 watch it go then

ps only joking m8 dont do it lol
Old 17 September 2003, 08:05 PM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

so what i said earlier [bout two threads ago] is the right idea then ????
cheers an sorry to need an abc here but i wanna get it spot on lolol
paul
Old 17 September 2003, 08:08 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Practice, practice, practice. Most of the fun with these cars is learning for yourself how to get the best out of them. Getting a complete "A-Z of Subaru driving" off us sort of defeats the object!
Old 17 September 2003, 09:02 PM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

ok then grease how about....................erm....just the a an b ??
paul
Old 17 September 2003, 09:17 PM
Jon306TD
Scooby Newbie

I think the same principal is true for all turbo cars. Ok i have a 1.9 DT but, you need to have the turbo spinning and slip in the clutch and bang, off ya go. On the DT the turbo spins up at 1900RPM and by 2100 its flying, so i aim for 2100 slipin and off it goes and smokes anyone behind Scoobies spin up at around 3k.

-J
Old 17 September 2003, 09:47 PM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

thanks for that jon ill bare that info in mind
paul