Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice please - selling BMW for WRX SL?

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2003, 03:26 PM
tab
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I currently own a BMW 325ti (new shape compact) its pretty quick 0-60 just short of 7 secs and almost 150 top end. I'm planning on changing to new shape WRX Sl with PPP, will this be much quicker? handle better? and be a worth while change over? I'll go for the SL model as i'm too used to leather and luxurys of a BM!
Old 16 September 2003, 03:36 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

I think you'll be surprised by the difference in performance. The WRX with PPP is seconds faster through the gears and will repeat the feat in all wheathers. The BM's not a bad car, just made with a different mindset.

IMHO The WRX is all about getting from A to B as fast as possible in all weathers. The BMW is about getting from A to B reasonaby quickly with a nod towards style and image.

What you'll miss out on, on the BMW side is a nice interior, residuals, the WRX being an attention grabber(good and bad) and cheaper running costs.

However once behind the wheel you won't care how much it costs to run or how it looks inside.

Test drive one, you know you want to. It's the only wy to be sure.

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 9/16/2003 3:37:18 PM]
Old 16 September 2003, 04:22 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

I've just sold my 323i (old shape) and bought an 03 WRX (no PPP yet).

Its much more direct in handling. Not much faster at the mo while I run it in (although just occasionally I've put my foot down a bit, which was fun

I do miss the BMW insides though. I'm convinced I'm going to break the boot every time I close it, and when it rains it sounds like you are in a caravan (not much acoustic treatment)

Still a lovely car though.

Oh, and my wife hates me now
Old 16 September 2003, 04:35 PM
tab
Scooby Newbie

I think i'm gonna test drive one with PPP, hopefully it'll be as fast as it looks on paper, my other choice would be a TT but I almost left one of them in my BM and that put me off big time ! Has anyone got a pic of the interior in the SL model as there isn't one on the Subaru site or anywhere for that matter !
Old 16 September 2003, 04:40 PM
Pro Boy
Scooby Regular

WRX with ppp to replace bmw
Old 16 September 2003, 04:43 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

I'd imagine it'd look a little like the US version
http://www.subaru.com/servlet/resear...command=photos

Why not try an STI while you are at it.

STI interior is here
http://www.subaru.com/servlet/resear...command=photos
Old 16 September 2003, 04:51 PM
tab
Scooby Newbie

I was thinking about STi but WRX with PPP is as quick if not quicker than standard STi plus the ride is not as hard and it'll be cheaper to run as I do over 20k miles a year (this was all told to me at Subaru by the way so i imagine its the truth?)

Ideally I would buy an STi with PPP but its too pricey and I think i'd rather an Evo 8 or just about squeeze a 2nd hand M3.

Old 16 September 2003, 04:58 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Don't be too disappointed if the performance is not what you expect with a demonstrator.

Many are very low mileage, and they loosen up a hell of a lot with a few miles on them.

I tried a PPP demonstrator and was really disappointed, as it felt a lot slower than the 20,000 mile company WRX MY01.

I subsequently bought one 9excellent deal from stan palmers!), and now its loosening up nicely

simon
Old 16 September 2003, 05:05 PM
MrFlibble
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Tab,

After trying a WRX PPP, I was going to change my 330i Sport for one as the performance and handling are superior and I could manage to live with the interior (better on the SL) and slightly poorer brake feel. It hasn't got the upmarket feel of the 330, but it's much 'funkier' (imo).
Trouble was, I then tried the STi PPP and after that, the WRX wasn't quite so alluring! I strongly suggest you test drive both! (then think about JDM models...)
btw JDM STI arrives soon!