Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPP: WRX MY03 balance

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2003, 08:30 PM
T_McC
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, so I am probably going to go for the PPP anyway, but I wanted to get some response on some questions I have relating to the effect that the upgrade has on the standard MY03 WRX cars set-up. Sure, Prodrive recommend 18"ers, but I don't want to go there (probably little benefit to anyone other than the Prodrive coffers).

Now, if I'm right, the PPP basically aligns the outputs closely to those of the 'base' STI. What I'm worried about is that the STI clearly has a number of mods relative to the WRX that help it (potentially) carry the extra output better - wider tyres and stiffer suspension for example.

So my concern is how do these subtle differences affect the capability of the standard WRX set-up to carry the PPP ? Does it cause the car to become noticably unstable in any way ? I wouldn't like to modify the turn-in capabilities of the standard WRX.

I expect that Prodrive have done their homework on these issues, but would welcome any comments out there relating to this issue.
Old 15 September 2003, 08:55 PM
jimmy wrx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Imho prodrive/subaru have not done the FULL "homework" on this one .The 03 wrx needs to be harder on the suspension as standard ,so with ppp it just cannot cope !

I would ppp pack it and have it lowered by subaru(I think about £200-£300) .Perhaps some strut braces too .
Old 15 September 2003, 09:09 PM
jimmy wrx
Scooby Regular

Keep the 17's they will do the job
Old 15 September 2003, 09:19 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

I asked for some similar info as I'v had the PPP fitted to my 03.Have to say at Brands there was lots of body roll and the car definately needs stiffening up. Several ppl have reccomended changing to Braided hoses, Mintex 1155s or equivelant,adjustable dampners and braces.

Not sure about 18"s and lowering tho.

Just need to pass the good news to my lovely lady!! :frog:
Will be ringing Wilsons 2moro to find out costs. I'll post them up ASAP
Old 15 September 2003, 10:59 PM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

Certainly I've noticed a tendency for the power (at full whack) to overwhelm the front wheels on bumpy terrain, when turning sharply...

I would think that lowering the ride height and/or stiffening the suspension would add a lot of benfit and help the standard WRX setup cope with the added power...

Why oh why didn't I just save myself the money and buy and STi instead?!
Old 16 September 2003, 07:39 AM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Silverback is this your first Scoob??
Old 16 September 2003, 10:32 AM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

Surely it depends what you want out of your car.
If it's outright performance/handling - then above is right, esp last view "why didn't I go for STi"!

If however you want more easy natured for everyday use, with the ability to outgun most cars on the road when required, a great soundtrack and want to follow the 'stealth' ethos, the PPP on WRX is fine.

Surely you have to be pushing a bit too hard on normal roads to notice the roll? Agree re Brands (there last wk) but then I didn't buy it to thrash on the track.

WRX03 PPP
aka The Silver Stealth Wagon
Old 16 September 2003, 12:31 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

I make you right about what you want from the car. But I think its great to have the best of both worlds. I can take my car to the track and have a bit of fun and its still forgiving enough to be driven every day.

However IMHO I think uprating the pads and the dampners isn't going to impair the every day performance too drastically. Lets face it for most of us 2/3 track days a year isn't going to kill the engine.Besides why did we buy Scoobys in the first place?