Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 door Wagon or 4 Door Saloon WRX ? advice plz.

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2003, 11:29 AM
wantaforesterturbo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking forward to early next year, when I think I should be able afford a 1 year old WRX, I'm currently driving a Golf.

I've read a little on here about people having their cars targetted by evil car scumbags, would you say the 5door is 'less desirable' to them?

I need the car to get to work,and to take me mountain biking every weekend, anybody know if I can get a bike in a Saloon, as I think the seats are fixed?

Is the wagon viewed as capable as the saloon? or like 5door Golfs is it classed as a bit 'family' and not as sporty as the 4door?

Wagon with PPP seems quite apealing.

Cheers,

Andrew.
Old 15 September 2003, 11:33 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I've got an 03 wagon and had an 00 saloon.

The wagon is *much* more practical. The downside is that the track is narrower (15mm IIRC) which may affect handling, but I reckon that the wagon is still a hell of a lot better than the MY00 saloon handling wise.

You won't fit bikes in the saloon easily. You can get a carrier tho - in fact I have one that I'm not using.

Wagons rule and are a bit more stealthy. Everyone assumes they're quite a bit slower. hehehehehe
Old 15 September 2003, 11:36 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

wanted a WRX and went for the WRX stationwagon so I could get items in the back - like a lawnmower -
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/phillipc/mower.jpg
Old 15 September 2003, 11:43 AM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

agree with Chiark!
I had classic wagon - upgraded to WRX03 with PPP
superb - and much to be said for 'stealth' factor
i.e. (IMHO with no proof whatsoever)
less overt in terms of go-faster wings etc so hopefully less appealing to tea-leaves, old bill's laser etc

MTB easily fits in back - possible even with one seat down rather than both (wheels off) but haven't tried.

Roof rails a bonus if want to carry more (windsurf etc - though can just fit 2.65m board inside if interested!)

Not aware of any truly discernable performance difference on the ordinary road. Tracking might make slight diff on track. Looks wise - do prefer the blistered arches on 4 dr - but goes against the stealth school of thought!

Old 15 September 2003, 11:44 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I dunno, these crazy New Zealanders and their passion for alternative/extreme sports... That's actually car jumping with power mowers, innit? Hint: remove the tail gate otherwise you'll never make it
Old 15 September 2003, 11:55 AM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just a thought - would a bike rack fit onto a saloon WRX around/on top of the spoiler? I know the one I have wouldn't work on, say, a P1 style spoiler....
I quite often have 2 bikes in the back of my wagon though. Sorry - that's a clasic wagon I've got. must be same size though?

Go on. Get a wagon!

[Edited by Franx - 9/15/2003 11:56:18 AM]
Old 15 September 2003, 12:00 PM
philc
Scooby Regular

chiark - the handles of the mower fold down

back to the question; a friend drove my wagon and then a saloon around a grass track and altho' times were similar, she said that the saloon had a better feel thru the twisties (may be solved by fitting a sway bar across the back pillars?)

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/phillipc/pmcwrx2.jpg
Old 15 September 2003, 12:05 PM
virgin
Scooby Regular

Got a 00 wagon,done some research ,0.1 of a second slower,and a few kilo`s heavier, did hear a story about it handling better than a saloon because of the extra weight in the back,But i dont beleive that, as for thiefs,there all into the saloons,cant imagine many family men wanting to buy a bent wagon.

Main advantage is the stealth factor, and people dont try to antaganise you
Old 15 September 2003, 12:05 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Franx - yep. I've got a paddy hopkirk carrier that'll fit on any sufficiently *high* spoiler - like the standard MY00 or P1, or STI... The straps pass under the spoiler quite easily
Old 15 September 2003, 12:32 PM
wantaforesterturbo
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the replies, I'm VV tempted by the fact that the wagon tends not to stand out so much.

I only need to carry one bike in the back, but it looks like the paint round the boot on the saloon could get damaged easier by forks and chainrings.

Andrew
Old 15 September 2003, 01:09 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Unless of course they are ram raiders in which case turbo wagon`s rule!!!!!

James 00MY Wagon!
Old 15 September 2003, 02:56 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Got an 03WRX wagon and quite often lug two mountain bikes around in the back. I have a full-depth 'CarBox' load-liner which means I can just chuck everything in - muddy bikes, muddy gear, tools, etc. - without getting any crap on the light grey interior. It's like having an enclosed pickup. Best bit is being able to stop on long trips back from riding for food, etc, without the security risks of leaving the bikes on an external bike rack.

Not sure about the stealth issue. I still seem to get a fair bit of attention in mine - both good and bad.

Handling-wise I don't know having never driven the saloon in anger. But I've had my wagon for about 6 months now and am still 'probing' it's limits

If you do it be sure to get the PPP fitted too!!
Old 15 September 2003, 03:31 PM
jimr
Scooby Regular

Had a wagon for 5 months and I don't regret buying it for 1 second. Like mentioned above they go well, loads of room in the boot for all the toys and not many folks on the road realise you can have a reasonably quick sports wagon (Ok to the normal road users a family estate) and there's some fun to be had there when they try giving you a run for there money and you just leave them for dead. Wagon gets my vote!!!!
Old 15 September 2003, 03:38 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

u can get load liners and a sill protector - either rubber for practicality or tarty stainless steel. Guess which I've gone for