Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Saab Scooby Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2000, 07:03 PM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

The new Evo has hit my doormat this afternoon...

Page 13:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
Followings GM's acquisition of 20% of Subaru, the association is already bearing fruits. Although Subaru's unique boxer engine makes platform sharing difficult, GM is keen to use Subaru's 4WD technology in other cars. Saab, whose current range is exclusively FWD will the company in the GM fold to benefit, and not before time - good as the Swedish company's hottest models are, they often suffer from rampant wheel spin and torque steer. The next generation 9-3, which will include even more powerful variants, will at last have chassis capable of transmitting the action to the road.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds exciting hey?

Cheers,

Chris.

[This message has been edited by ChrisB (edited 10-05-2000).]
Old 10 May 2000, 07:20 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Do Saab supply the flat cap with the Subaru logo on it.

My guess is that they would use the Legacy platform as a basis for this. The impreza is too small. Besides, the impreza platform is Subaru's crown jewels. It *is* only a 20% stake after all

Old 10 May 2000, 07:20 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

This is something I would look forward to. I've always had a soft spot for Saabs (my father has owned them for years). Especially the old style 900 Turbo. Quite a few similarities actually

1) Storming engine - The last of the old 900s (the Ruby special edition). Had 185bhp delivered through the front wheels. Could give a scooby a run for its money. Obviously in a straight line and not from a standing start though

2) It also, was pig ugly.

Regards
James
Old 10 May 2000, 08:05 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

I like SAABs new engine, variable compression 1.6 litre generates 225 bhp
Old 10 May 2000, 08:21 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I had a black 900 2.3 convertible as my last company car a couple of years back - the moral of the story is always test-drive a car before buying/leasing one....

It was a good car to pose in (for pulling pensioners - you would not believe the interest from the over 50's) but in the driving seat (and moving), it was pretty grim....

The interior and especially seats are far better than the Scoob but everything else is pretty (read VERY) poor.

The 9-3 convertible is apparently much better (one of my friend's has one) but reliability seems to have nose-dived (two head gaskets, one new hood anyone... )

If you are into "older" ladies (or gentlemen), it is a sound purchase

Thanks

Gavin

Aged 29 and three-quarters

[This message has been edited by GavinP (edited 10-05-2000).]
Old 10 May 2000, 11:34 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Hey! I had an old-shape Saab 900 before my Scoob. Classic lines (not 'pig ugly') and an engine whine like no other (except a Triumph Dolomite) due to chain-driven gearbox. Had to go as it (a) wasn't a turbo and (b) had over 150k miles on the clock. I nearly went for a turbocharged Saab to replace it, but in the end a MY00 Scoob was the solution. FWIW I'm 26 and don't own any flat caps.
Old 11 May 2000, 01:42 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Dont be nasty to SAAB, they were doing turbos while subary were still making farmers trucks. My farther had a 900 Turbo and it was a superbly fast, agile well made and practical car. He now wants a Scooby...
Old 11 May 2000, 02:06 PM
swa
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah nice one GT
Maybe we should start a new thread like the RS one ... ehmm ...but different.

How many scooby owners dads had SAAB Turbos??

Mine had an early 99 Turbo - any colour you like as long as it was BLACK. That was the coolest BLACK car ever!! (imho)

He used drive the living sh$te out of it. And I just Grinned

Hes only seen photos of my Sub but hes real green!!

Swa

PS I liked the old shape 900 too but not the newest ones!!

PPS Ever read a mag review of a SAAB 900 conv? They? described the car as being joined in the middle by a ball joint the scuttle shake and twisting was that bad. Maybe they should have put Rose (sp?) joints on it to help it out!!? ho ho Just being silly now so I'll....,,,,
(coat is on again)
Swa

Old 11 May 2000, 05:00 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

OK, I'll admit it. In addition to the Saab I had, my dad had two (count 'em) Saab 900 Turbo 16Ss. Got through a lot of front tyres, and outrageous torque steer.
Old 11 May 2000, 05:43 PM
NickF
Scooby Regular

I had a metallic black Saab 900 16S Turbo 3-door, with Abbott suspension, freeflow exhaust and a Detection Techniques chip, sticking power to around 210bhp and torque to 220ish.

MASSIVE lag (real put-your-foot-down-before-the-apex stuff)but the only car I've come across which would wheelspin in the wet in third when the turbo kicked in. And, of course, this was the car which introduced the phrase 'torque steer' to my vocabulary.

Crap on motorways (suspension was too hard, exhaust too noisy) and it didn't handle all that well, but it accelerated like you wouldn't believe - slower than a Scooby, but then this was 10 years ago. It drank fuel, ate tyres and a gearbox (shouldn't have had that chip then!) and cost a fortune to insure, but it was lots of fun, as much as anything else for the turbo whistle.

Oh yes, and my dad was green with envy!

Nick
Old 11 May 2000, 08:52 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Talking

Have another look at the Scoob in the picture with the article in EVO, Prime candidate for an ALK if ever I saw one!

Mike.
Old 11 May 2000, 10:48 PM
PhilHulse
Scooby Regular

I have a SAAB 9.3 turbo convertible. Goes like stink, had it 2 yrs 35000 mls. had 2 services and one new set of front tyres. Otherwise hasn't cost me a bean. Handling is its only fault. Excellent machine but oh so boring. Can't wait for my P1.
Old 11 May 2000, 10:49 PM
I Stancer
Scooby Regular

Cool

My dad had a 99 turbo 2dr I drove it on my 17th birthday and many times after that ( and before but thats another story ) it was a superb car ,but with no power steering it was heavy to drive.
Way cool motor in those days !we are both farmers and wear flat caps ( farmers crash helmet )every day .
Can we get help for this ?
Old 12 May 2000, 07:22 PM
Francis Griffin
Scooby Newbie

Red face

OK, I'll own up. I had a 9000CSE low pressure turbo before my Scoob. Nice for doing the miles on the motorway, but once I had test driven the Impreza it had to go.

FG