Sponsored by:

Road surface dressings

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2003, 08:52 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I am ANGRY [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] VERY VERY ANGRY [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Today I travelled down an A road that had recently been dressed with the **** the local councils seem to think is ideal for road surfaces. It was white lined so had obviously been surfaced some weeks ago. Now, there were no "loose chippings beware" signs but down the centre of the road and generally all over there were bloody loose stones which were pinging off every chuffin car that passed. I slowed to 40mph but still managed to get FOUR damn stone chips on 1/ windscreen 2/ drivers door 3/ offside rear door.
I am NOT happy. Okay worse things happen like car jacking and theft etc and I accept that BUT this type of road dressing is TOTALLY AVOIDABLE IF ONLY THE COUNCILS . GOVT SPENT MONEY PROPERLY. This surface cr@p was already worn in parts false economy or what? I did not pay the best part of £20K to let the local friggin councils use my tyre contact patch as a damn Steam roller to bed this **** in. OI ! Councils, put decent road surfaces down or I WILL NOT PAY MY ROAD FUND FOR THIS **** TO BE PUT DOWN BATTERING MY CAR AND EVERYONE ELSES!!!! I am not a happy bunny [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 30 August 2003, 09:27 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Red face

15 views and no comments See, this is typical, if we all accept this antiquated form of road making then the authorities will continue to use it. IT NEEDS MASS PROTEST TO STOP THE USE OF TAR AND STONE CHIPPINGS. Its an old method, we are in the 21st century for gods sake. This stuff must be lethal for motorcyclists. LETS PUT A STOP TO THIS PRACTICE NOW !!
Old 30 August 2003, 09:35 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

The Highways Agency (who look after road maintence) are seriously underfunded

I know that's absolutly *no* excuse, I spent 3 hours cleaning tar of my car a couple of weeks ago from this very same type of incident [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] If it's not that there's at least 1000 holes to aviod.

If the govt. could sort decent funding maybe road maintence wouldn't be such a joke
Old 30 August 2003, 09:46 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Accept that Jen but somehow they manage to fund new road building programmes, how about dealing with the existing roads we already have Under funded ? Key issue here may very well be beaurocracy. Too many pen pushers contributing very little for a lot of money. Sack em all
Old 30 August 2003, 09:52 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Angry

haha

the roadfund licence generates at least £26000 000 00

in revenue for hmg and its as tone says to be spent on the roads

and it is!!!!!!!!!!!!! speed cameras... cheap tar pebbles.

quangos and lining the ttreasurys coffers.... have you ever noticed that thay allways plead poverty... but as soon as a new gov arrives a massive surplus is found...

its allpart of the plan to get you off the roads... but then the real masterstroke is... with no revenue from roads theyll just tax you to death... and tone and his crones will redecorate there houses again..

if they pump 3 billion into the nhs and nothing happens what hope have we got!!!

prehaps the french have the right ideas.... we play sheep and get nowhere

mart
Old 31 August 2003, 01:17 PM
jonnyconcrete
Scooby Regular

This has happened all over the bristol area, the council has throw down some cheap tarmac and then covered it in loose stone in literally four or five major roads. I cringe when I am forced to drive over a road like it and will take a detour of many miles to avoid a road they have butchered. Another pet hate of mine are the road gritters but don't even get me started on that gripe.

JC
Old 31 August 2003, 01:28 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Thumbs down

There was another thread on here last week on the exact same subject. It's an example of the contempt with which road users are treated.
Old 31 August 2003, 01:34 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

It is a seriously crappy road surface and you should complain.
Road that I regularly cycle down had this done to it - previously the surface was ok, not perfect but not a pot-holed mess so did NOT need done. I phoned up and complained as cycling down it was a nightmare due to a)loose chippings b)the new surface disappeared from random areas leaving some of the new surface and then areas with the old area - nice and bumpy ! Bloke at the council (Edinburgh) that I spoke to was perfectly pleasant but said that cyclists were given little consideration when road surfaces were being considered (not exactly a positive opinion but the guy was being honest) and secondly that type of road surface gives a high level of grip. If the road surface breaks up (being tar and chip it's liable to do so) then complain as the company that laid the road will have to deal with it. I enough people complain then councils might just might get the message.
Old 31 August 2003, 02:03 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

the roadfund licence generates at least £26000 000 00
Yeah - ok, not too sure about the figure - but how much *actually* gets spent on roads?

Speed Cameras are a completely different issue, they're dealt with by the police force, the Highways Agancy deals with maintence.

Not everything "roads" is under the same thing, and definatly not under the same budget.

Central government decides the budgets, the Council's/Agency's etc. have to fight for money to fund things. Budgets just keep getting cut.

I hope you understand I completely agree with you, as you might have guessed I'm a motorist and I *love* my car - and hate things like this and hate the way the motorist gets treated. I just think anger should be directed in the right direction, we (the Councils) are trying our best
Old 31 August 2003, 02:09 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Angry

I agree totally with what you are saying m8, fair enough my old car was a corsa but it had just being resprayed when i encountered a road like you are talking abt. Of course now i have the scoob im even more wary of going down one of these roads.
Old 01 September 2003, 11:46 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You are right of course Bluto, apart from the risk of damage to paint and windscreens, it is also pretty dangerous to suddenly find yourself on the "marbles", particularly when it is in the centre of the road, while cornering. Its a real frightener on a 'bike.

Round here, on the very rare occasions that they have done any road surfacing, they usually pitch up with one of those lorry vacuum cleaners after a few days. It helps but you still have the problems beforehand.

Les