Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

house broken into, car stolen

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2003, 09:22 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took me a week to get to sleep before it got light outside after finding a gang trying to get into my house at 2.30am recently. Luckily I got down there before they got in. Would have been more of a trauma had they got in. Feel for you.

Did instantly make a lot of security enhancements though and do feel more secure now.

It will get better, though still sometimes have slightly restless nights listening out for alien noises.

[Edited by juan - 9/1/2003 9:23:29 AM]
Old 09 January 2003, 11:07 AM
super slider
Scooby Regular

i know it sounds silly now, leaving the detectors in the car. just the normal case of the small hassle/inconvenience of taking them out every night.
to add.....Barry, the household limit is no problem (but i have got an claims accessor coming to visit), its the £250 limit on personal contents covered by the car insurance, like socket set, tyre pressure guage, car mats, tow rope, warning triangle which the household insurance say they will not cover. these do not come over £250 if i exclude the detectors, but the household will not pay for these. i may argue that these detectors and sockets set were not 'perminently attachments to the car and sometimes were taken out.
Michael

[Edited by super slider - 9/1/2003 11:19:44 AM]
Old 09 January 2003, 02:00 PM
looossseeerrr
Scooby Newbie

This might cheer you up.
this chap i know , owned a car security shop.
it had lots of stock in it as they do,
security shutters,alarm, cctv ,dial alert etc. the usual.
steel door on the rear access and a £50 padlock on the rear gate.
parking post on the rear of the door etc etc.
one night the place gets done.
a group of 4 lads decide they want to get in!
so they did, they drilled the rear door.
cut the locks in half! and empty £40,000 pounds worth of stock and tools from this chaps shop.
which i might add is un-insured.
because no company would cover the amount of stock.
the cctv footage is handed over to the local law.
they say they havent got time to look through it!
please could you have a look through it and see if there is anything interessting!!
they send out soco "scene of crimes officer"
he say,s " well doesnt look like they touched much!"
im only allowed to spend 15mins here you know.
then i have to go to the next job.
a set of prints are lifted. but they are the shop owners!
the police take the cctv tape away 3 weeks later!
and phone back the ip "injured party" ie shop owner
and say , "our cctv equiptment is not all that" could we come to your place and watch it through your's.
meanwhile some of the stolen goods turn up in and on local thiefs cars. the police are informed. they impound 2 of the cars.
one has an item in it which is very exspensive. and worth more than both the cars together.
the police ask the shop owner if this item has any distinguishable marks on it.
bear in mind this is a brand new item!
no not atall the shop owner replies, its brand new!!
so the police fellow turns around and say's
"well" we will have to give it back to the suspect if you cant identify it!
there is a serial number on the back of it.
if you had the serial number , you could have the item back.
so the shop owner say's well let me write it down then.
i will compare it with numbers back at the shop.
the policeman said "i cant do that sir!"
im sorry ,i will have to inform the suspect that he can have it back. as for the other car , the owner produces a load of obviously conspired receipt's and gets his car back with all the equipment.
as possetion is 9 tenths of the law.

this is what went on beleive it or not!!
At the end of the day the police are not worth the phone call!
they have not got back to the guy and he has seen the thiefs driving about robbing other places in the area.

only a matter of time before the hulk comes on the scene!

forgot to add , hope this cheers you up a bit, as you can see . you are not the only one that is pissed off about cu*ts that go around helping themselves!

The shop owner has now had to close the shop and is now falling behind with the mortgage repayments.

[Edited by looossseeerrr - 9/1/2003 2:16:54 PM]
Old 30 August 2003, 04:41 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

At 5am this morning i heard a very very loud bang. A burglar had thrown a large stone through my double glazed window and found the keys (which may have been left on the table). when he or they got inside they were shouting and swearing, i guess to scare me (which they did). i immediately dailed 999 (was wondering if they would come upstairs to stop me)and before the police had taken all my details the car was driven off. 2 sets of neighbours were awoken by the racket, one of them saw 3 people. i found a knife on the table, part of a set of mine which was previously in a wood block. they also forced out the door lock barrels but they could not open the door.
no one saw any faces clearly.
the car was last seen in Brighouse driven at some speed. it was a blue MY01 (bug eyed)
the detective thinks it was stolen to order and i was told a gang is operating in the Huddersfield, Pudsey, Leeds area. they now have a dedicated team looking into these thefts.
it was my concious decision to leave keys downstairs rather than wake up with a bat in my face.
most unfortunate was that i have guests staying with me, and they, like me were pretty frightened.
feeling okay now, will see what tonight brings
cheers
Michael
Old 30 August 2003, 04:46 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

For what its worth i think you did the right thing leaving your keys downstairs. Just goes to show how far these people are prepared to go to get what they want.

Sorry for ya though, you must be sick to the stomach
Old 30 August 2003, 04:48 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear this and echo Boro's comments re keys.
Old 30 August 2003, 04:52 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

What can be said about this all to common occurance? Its being reported more and more often on scoobynet and other forums now.
What can we do in that situation? Nothing really, except protect what really is important to us, our family.
It is only a piece of metal after all, but still, it is OUR piece of metal, and the total pondlife subhuman scum who do this kind of thing deserve to be hung.
At least you and yours are ok, shook up obviously, but otherwise safe and sound, that is the main thing.
I hope things get sorted out for you, my thoughts are with you.
chris.
Old 30 August 2003, 05:04 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear of this and glad you're all OK. Good idea with the keys. In the past we all thought making the keys unavailable was a good idea, but the lengths these scum will go to now beggars belief. I'm thinking of installing an iron gate at the foot of the staircase (don't want house to look like a prison from outside) to buy time for the police to arrive (would have to be pretty substantial to last 3 hours ) and offer protection to us all. If they seem adamant to get through I'd just lob them the keys out of the window, but one at a time to buy more time.
Old 30 August 2003, 05:17 PM
ChrisB

Angry

Not a lot I can say mate [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 30 August 2003, 05:24 PM
KINGY71
Scooby Regular

Angry

Scum that's all they are......Sorry to hear the bad news...
Old 30 August 2003, 05:50 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

why not get a tony martin security system installed?? I have one and prepared to use it
Old 30 August 2003, 06:15 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

sory to hear that mate, at least you and your family are ok
Old 30 August 2003, 06:48 PM
sh4un
Scooby Regular

Out of intrest, was the car garaged or on the drive?

ie : visible to passers by

[Edited by sh4un - 8/30/2003 6:49:36 PM]
Old 30 August 2003, 06:57 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

andypugh2000

Agree with your attitude, in LA you get a community award and counciling for disposing of thieving scum but this side of the pond I would be careful what you say, in this off balance society you could end up with a visit from the local boys in blue over such comments
Old 30 August 2003, 07:13 PM
sh4un
Scooby Regular

I agree too, but untill i was put in that situation i dont know what i would do, i have a big stick at the ready at the top of the stairs, then again other people will say its only a car and its not worth it.

There right i suppose, but i dont see it like that, i see it as something that has taken YEARS of hard work to get...

Old 30 August 2003, 07:28 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Sorry to hear about the car mate. Regarding keys , it's a judgement issue really ,if the car is visable from the road then leave keys downstairs,if car is never left visable from the road then take keys up to bed as if you are burgled by an opertunist they may decide to have the scoob as an afterthought and MAY be less likely to suss out that you own one and will probably be less ruthless about taking it(ie going after the keys...) bare it in mind however that if a burglar is upstairs then the courts will view any self defence on your part more leniently as the scum is seen as more of a risk so you can get away with more gunshot wounds..err forcefull proportional action *cough*

[Edited by matty01 - 8/30/2003 7:29:45 PM]
Old 30 August 2003, 07:32 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

Slider,

i am sorry to hear about this, especially knowing your geographic spacial sitution (you know what i mean)

I must admit, i will still be keeping my keys upstairs, giving me the opportunity (rather than the cowardly thieving scum) to decide how to handle things. If the ball is in my court - i choose how to serve [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I hope you don't mind me posting a picture of your beloved, taken in May 2001 (minus window stickers) in case it helps in the recovery.

Sadly,

mb

[Edited to make picture werk!]

[Edited by boomer - 8/30/2003 7:33:54 PM]
Old 30 August 2003, 07:35 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I think everything has already been said mate. Bad news, but I think you made the right choice with your keys - better than ending up in hospital. I hope everything is sorted out quickly.

Chris
Old 30 August 2003, 07:58 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

gutted for you

Thats why I have mr Beretta at the side of my bed.
Old 30 August 2003, 08:15 PM
donutman
Scooby Regular

i have one of these and they don't half come keen
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=16048
Old 30 August 2003, 08:51 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Donutman, that is the bizniz!! guess i will have to get myself one of those in case i get my firearms license revoked over my tony martin attitude!!

hope these single cell organisms get caught and get wrapped in a mattress and severely beaten so the bruises dont show, usa style policing me thinks is deserved here.
Old 30 August 2003, 08:58 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Slider, gutted to hear that mate.

Mossman
Old 30 August 2003, 09:03 PM
WRX Wannabe
Scooby Regular

My keys are in my bedroom with me and the door locked

I also keep a baseball bat with me(it's a present to give to someone)still wrapped,

Not a weapon as it's a present(when i get around to giving it to them)
Old 30 August 2003, 09:11 PM
cat^-_-^
Scooby Regular

So gutted for you Hope you and your family are ok.
Think you did the right thing with the keys. Its so frustrating and heartbreaking that they could do that to you but at the end of the day a car can be replaced your family can't.
These people have no idea how hard we work to buy and maintain our cars. I really hope they can recover your car for you.
Old 30 August 2003, 09:41 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

This is becomming a common occurance now...and what has plod done to prevent it...happening again... increased patrols? more presecence on the streets... blx the answer is more speed cameras.... its true the logic is disfranchised victim (car thief) leaves at high speed and gets pinged by mr gatso ... and they can work out where he went... oh and as a bonus they can issue nips, cos theve got an address of where to send em!!!

Swmbo and i saw a motorcyclist last week when out shopping the guy zipped past us and his wallet fell out of his leathers... now being a bike rider myself i noted the bike and the riders outfit..but couldnt get the reg no .. so we duly takes the wallet to our local nick ... the guy there takes the details and says we may be able to contact him (driving licence in walett)!! but as hes not local it will take time... so i gives a decription of both rider and bike and says just get your boys to look out for him... his response we havent got the resourses for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what chance do we have if they cant use some simple observation.... sorrry mr scoob owner we cant spot your car cos where to busy... pinging people with our new lazer camera... and erning more cash

its a mad world

mart

Old 30 August 2003, 10:07 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

the forensics and CID came at about noon so this afternoon we were able to clean the mess up and the window was boarded up later in the afternoon.
sh4un The car is parked on the road. It has always been a concern. my first Subaru was broken into 3 times and i thought the MY01 had not attracted any attention, how wrong i was
Boomer no problem mate
I was starting to get a little bit anxious again but thanks to friends who have phoned me and the support from people on this board i now feel better. Thankyou everybody for your support
Michael
Old 30 August 2003, 10:20 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Boomer

I'm totally with you on this one m8 and curiously was today giving serious consideration to supplementing existing plans with the paintball option .

Slider has always maintained the sensible policy is to leave the keys handy and maybe he is right.

After all I'm no hero and won't be taking on any gangsters, but if confronted by a couple of smackheads we'll be calling the paramedics not the police

Old 31 August 2003, 10:38 AM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Michael,
Sorry to hear this.
So long as you and your family were not physically harmed, then thats a blessing, but I have seen first hand how emotionally distressing these occurences are. Try not to despair.

Cheers
MTR
Old 31 August 2003, 10:48 AM
Franko
Scooby Regular

I'm so sorry to hear about your scooby... more sadened by the fact these idiots have no regard whatsoever about other peoples feelings,if you find your motor hope its in good condition.

Take Care

Franko
Old 31 August 2003, 11:25 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Michael - gutted for you mate hope you get it resolved soon..

I'm with Boomer and Banshi - keys are in my room, behind a locked door with certain "items" with me. If or when it happens I will decide on what do do after assessing the situation - if they're unarmed and 3 of them or less then I know what I will be doing and I'm prepared for being Tony Martin'd by the UK's judicial system. Any hint of them having weapons then I give them the keys - I wont be a martyr for my car

Quick Reply: house broken into, car stolen