Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I change ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2003, 04:00 PM
rb5-097
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I change my RB5 (standard) for a P1?

Will I notice that much performance difference?

Would the kids still fit in the back?

Will it cost much more to run?

What do the experts think.

Cheers
Old 30 August 2003, 04:57 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

1) Dunno, not like there's a lot wrong with the RB5. Why are you asking us anyway?

2) Comparing one fast car with another always difficult. Think of P1 as faster RB5 with less doors. P1 will certainly have a bit more urge, but, on the other hand, you could get your current car to very similar level for relatively modest outlay. If you are thinking of an alternative to your current car, but with a bit more where it counts, you may be better off looking at an STi5 or 6 type R or RA. Lighter, shorter gearing, DCCD, arguably better basis for a driver's car, although undeniably less suited for daily driver use than the bona fide UK spec cars.

3) Space in the back is as per the four door cars. Difference, obviously, is access.

4) Shouldn't be major differences in servicing costs. Running should be broadly similar too. Might use a bit more fuel, but all depends how far your foot goes to the carpet. Piece of string...

5) An "Ex" is a has-been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure. At end of day it doesn't matter what any of us think, it's your choice at the end of the day. Only way to find out is to find a P1 for sale and take it for a test drive.

Personally, given that you'll have kids in the back, a four door car has to have practical advantages. Thus, if it was me it'd probably either be an RA, or, more likely, lavishing some new toys on your RB5.
Old 30 August 2003, 05:13 PM
rb5-097
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your help.

I hadn't thought about lavishing new toys on the one ive got.

Where do I start, I belive mine is standard, although it does have a boost gauge and clear indicators

Cheers
Old 30 August 2003, 05:30 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

The clear indicators are worth a good 20bhp, so you're well on the road

Where you'd start with your current car depend entirely on how much you want to spend on it. If you consider that you'd probably have to put a few grand into the pot to part ex your current car for a P1, you can do a hell of a lot with that money.

For a lot less than £1000 all-in you'd be looking at a KnockLink, AFR meter, quality (K&N or Green) panel filter, Dawes manual boost controller, uprate turbo to intercooler piping, full decat or hi-flow cat exhaust system. This setup has the potential to get you to 265-270bhp with large gains in low-end turbo response, midrange torque and driveability.

Beyond that, you're looking at changing the turbo, getting the ECU remapped, and things like different injectors, fuel pump and intercooler together with suspension and braking mods. As mentioned, if you consider the money you'd have to put into part exing for a P1, you've got a fair bit of latitude...
Old 30 August 2003, 10:24 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol at greasemonkey - agree on the performance gains of the indicators.