ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

To Nice......Quickly!

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2000, 12:47 AM
mike wilkinson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

With a car trip to the south of France coming up in a fortnights time, I was hoping that someone with more experience of French Autoroutes may be able to offer advice.
I would like to get between Boulogne and Nice pretty much as quickly as possible sticking to the autoroutes, with a possible overnight stay in the Lyon area.
Looking at the map it would appear that skirting around Paris would be the most direct but is this asking for trouble?
Thanks for any assistance!
Mike.
Old 09 May 2000, 01:10 PM
D Brown
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mike,

Only done this route a couple of times, but experience of living nr Paris suggests that you keep well away unless you are passing at night - the traffic can be horrendous, esp on the Peripherique.

Recommended route, which I've done once before at 90-95 mph all the way (allegedally) was to head North out of Boulogne, past the tunnel, then take the A26 to Reims, then A5/A31 to Dijon and A6 south twds Lyon.

Good luck
Duncan
Old 09 May 2000, 01:18 PM
Maxwell Straker
Scooby Regular

Smile

I would agree with Duncan, the Perif....Perufi.....peerryf.......Paris ring road is awful. Personal experience last year. This is a shame as it appears that there are no other cars in the rest of France at all.

......and yes before you ask, Disneyland Paris was excellent.

One further comment on the Peripherique, having now driven 'round it, can someone please explain how Diana's driver was able to attain enough speed even to chip the paint on a Scooby bonnet??????
Old 09 May 2000, 01:53 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

2CV drivers on the Peripherique consider it bad manners to indicate before pulling out in front of you

Have you seen the amount of cars that are scraped/dented in Paris? Scary stuff

Rich.

Old 09 May 2000, 02:57 PM
Nick C
Scooby Regular

Wink

I did the trip round Paris last year in August and found it OK. The same with everything on the roads, sometimes you will be lucky and sometimes not. Try and make sure you avoid the peak work times and you will find it busy but it does move quite quickly. Dont be upset when Renault Clios and Twingos tailgate you and then blow you away. I spent alot of time wondering what would happen if they are required to stop quickly (Bang!!!!!).
Old 09 May 2000, 03:45 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

As a student a few years back(!) I led a convoy of about five cars (in my MG Midget) through Paris and took in a bit of the peripherique. There was one square in the centre with roads all pointing into the centre. In the end I decided there was no correct way so put my foot down, blasted the horn and acted British - seemed to work we all got through...

Regards
Old 10 May 2000, 12:24 AM
MickeyD
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

One word of caution if you decide to hit the autoroutes, as you pass through the toll-booth you will receive a ticket with the location and the time printed upon it. At subsequent toll-booths this information is either logged or recorded against your payment together with locations/times once more. I know of people who have prosecuted for speeding by the French authorities bassed upon this information, as they now know, where you where at 2 times of the day, the distance travelled and can therfore calculate your average speed!

How many French police have you seen with laser speed detectors? They invented a way which is more suitable to the French way of life (and still allows them to sleep for 2 hours after lunch).

I hope it doesn't happen to you, be careful.

One more thing, a quick hello to Paul Frank - is this the Paul Frank ex Plaut by any chance???? The black Cat is calling.......
Old 10 May 2000, 12:41 AM
Fred
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MickeyD:
<B>One word of caution if you decide to hit the autoroutes, as you pass through the toll-booth you will receive a ticket with the location and the time printed upon it. At subsequent toll-booths this information is either logged or recorded against your payment together with locations/times once more. I know of people who have prosecuted for speeding by the French authorities bassed upon this information, as they now know, where you where at 2 times of the day, the distance travelled and can therfore calculate your average speed!

How many French police have you seen with laser speed detectors? They invented a way which is more suitable to the French way of life (and still allows them to sleep for 2 hours after lunch)...
[/quote]

Mickey :
The problem is that policeman are often outlaws with people (moreover strangers) .
If you don't know the french law it's easy to **** you.
Learn that this kind of control (highway ticket) is illegal and cannot be retained against you for speeding.
Ticket is not a official tools for that so it cannot be used legaly for that...
You know it's the same thing that if they put radar near electric lines or in a curve...they do this often as people are not aware of what they can't do...

So listen to me : twice better to slow down few kms before toll-booth (what's this word is meaning : "péage" I suppose...)
because if a radar is placed on the highway it's here that they stop you...
Old 10 May 2000, 01:08 AM
Paul Frank
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mike

I have sent you an email from my work email account (NOT the one on here)
ha ha BPM!

Anyway I have European Autoroute so happy to help you with a route . . BUT why use AutoRoutes when there are SO many cool roads to drive eh?

let's talk
Paul

ps great to see anothe Linn fan on here . . . a LP12 I hope???
pps & we won't mention the malt of course . . .

[This message has been edited by Paul Frank (edited 10-05-2000).]
Old 10 May 2000, 06:28 AM
Galaf
Scooby Regular

Avoiding Paris is probably the best choice.
On the peripherique, the cars entering do not have to watch for the one already on it, it is not like on a normal highway.
With all the accidents on the French roads, all the police forces are out on the roads, so speeding over 130kph wouldn't be very cautious

Laurent
Old 10 May 2000, 12:46 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

What, you drove on the left and apologised to everyone??

BJH