ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

TO VOID OR NOT TO VOID

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2000, 11:08 AM
DBDOM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I just bought myself an MY99 and was wondering what the general consensus was on modifications, do people think its worth breaking the warranty and doing modifications or is it best to stick with things like Prodrive conversions which in my opinion seem a rip off.

Thanks guys
Old 07 May 2000, 01:44 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

hi

picked up my new my00 scooby on wednesday.

from talking to my dealer they are not keen on many changes and even simple ones are 'probably' going to affect the warranty.

depends i think on your own dealer...esp the views of the service manager.

i'm looking to change the exhaust and put on an induction kit sometime after the cars run in. i also want a twin headlamp conversion.

these should from talking to my dealer be ok BUT i think if you want more power or want to start lowering it you'll need to play things carefully if you still want your warranty to be 100% valid.

i agree with you on the price of Prodrive kit, its all very expensive i'd consider the performance pack at a later date as i drove one before buying new and its certainly a diferent car with more power and response lower down and up into the mid power band. very nice

i'd be interested in other peoples experiences of mods and their dealers views ?

cheers

steve
Old 07 May 2000, 08:15 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've kept all my original parts should anything go wrong - Garage now full of Subaru wheels, tyres, full exhaust systems, brakes, air filters etc

Pretty soon I will have enough parts for a second car

I am sure some dealers are more 'understanding' than others

Rich.

Ps. I agree the Prodrive options seem over priced
Old 07 May 2000, 08:53 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

My dealer has done a few of my mods but had nothing to do with performance mods.
The mechanic’s love my car and they all want to test drive it after a service. The last lad gave me back the keys and as he walk off said sounds great and no turbo lag. When I was paying the bill I could hear the lad still saying to his mates no turbo lag. The mechanic’s always ask me “what mods have you done this time”.
This does not mean that if I get problems they will do it under warrantee. The big bosses at Subaru know what mods I have the same, as they know what mods you have. Mention it here and they know.
All my parts have been given away.
Wheels £30 = petrol money to deliver.
Lights £20 = petrol money to deliver.
Fogs free I paid the £20 petrol and delivered.
Spoiler free did not have to deliver.
Could not find anyone wanting the radio so it went in the dustbin.
I have kept the Exhaust just incase I keep the car over 3 years.
I still have a set off 16” Speedlines Gold taking up to much room in the garage. Might keep these. See signature for extras.
Regards,

Bob Iles,

Reddish Blue, MY98, PE Phase 1 conversion, De-cat T75 Downpipe & center section,
Scoobysports Backbox, 17" Mim's, Group N Disks, Goodridge hoses,
Front & Rear Spoilers, Colour Coded, PIAA Driving Lights, QuadLights,
Clifford 50X Alarm, Center Pod With Three Gauges, Boost, Inlet Temp, Oil Pressure, Volts.
Kenwood CD Unit.
283 BHP & 276 Torque
Mailto:robert.iles@cableinet.co.uk
Old 07 May 2000, 08:58 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dear DBDOM
I got my car on March 1st (new) as soon as I got home, ie within the hour, I changed the exhaust for the SS on that I alreaady had in the garage, I have now done the air filter, fited Cibies (although not yet wired in) mudflaps and today I made an air scoop for the intercooler, I would say that if you need more that a standard car can give then you should just go ahead and do it, keep all the original bits and worry about getting it fixed if it breaks.
Old 07 May 2000, 11:12 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Talking

At present I'm driving a MY00, and before that a MY99 with Performance Pack. They are two different cars. If its power you want then the Performance Pack on MY99 and 00 does work.

Whilst 2k might sound a lot of money its not all down the tube. Unlike aftermarket conversions which can reduce the value of your car come trade in time, the Prodrive will retain approx 50% of its cost. So look at it as approx 1k.

Yes you can go for Link with all the bit and setting up it will be near the 1k mark.

The Link/ PE Phase 1 might gain more power, but IMHO there are people that like an ECU and having it tweaked, dealing with minor problems that need addressing (eratic idle) and other that just want a conversion with factory warranty.

I think it boils down to what type of person are you ? a person that likes tinkering or not. Cost wise in the long run not huge amounts in it (yes you might sell parts of the aftermarket kit, but for how much).

You shouldnt get in trouble for backbox or filter mods, 60% of all UK cars have these done. Downpipes is a little more tricky to call.

Jonathan
Old 08 May 2000, 10:30 AM
DBDOM
Scooby Regular

Cool

im tempted to the upgrades outside of subaru but im not sure, i am concerned at the lost in resale value. So you all think i should be ok pputting a backbox on without subaru throwing a wobbly. Will they still service the car no matter what even if it is out of warranty as i think a full subaru service history is quite a value to the resale value.

i put in a pipercross replacement filter and was suprised even how this little item improved the car.
Old 08 May 2000, 10:41 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

As long as the car is Euro spec, they will service it regardless of age, or modification, its only the warranty that will get affected by some mods.

As has been said before, if you tell everybody what mods you have on any of the BBS's or mailing lists, be certain that Subaru UK DO know about them as well. The choice is yours.
Old 09 May 2000, 02:42 AM
wall
Scooby Regular

Hi, my experience as follows:
I have changed exaust from the cat back, filter, 17" wheels (with equal width rubber to original tires - 205), brake pads, mudflaps, fire estinguisher. My dealer is happy to retain my warranty for everything except discs, which he's concerned might wear quicker than standard with the new pads. Other than that , fully covered. This is about the limit though, anything more drastic and I will start voiding parts of the warranty.

wall