Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

manx TT production car lap record ?

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2003, 08:49 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does anyone know the lap record for a production car or otherwise for the TT circuit on the isle of man ?? is it still tony pond in a rover vitesse with 104 mph ??
Old 05 August 2003, 10:05 AM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I think it still is. Its about time someone tried it in a WRC or touring car.
Old 05 August 2003, 01:51 PM
Mark Hutchinson
Scooby Newbie

When was this, I live on the Isle of Man and am not aware of this...
Old 05 August 2003, 01:55 PM
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

Wasn't a few years ago as a "special" lap/ "Marshal"? With a Vitesse I thought it was mid 90's or earlier.

Its all going grey......
Old 05 August 2003, 01:59 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was done about 11 years ago by Tony Pond driving without his co-driver to save weight and he averaged just over 100mph for the lap. Most of the lap is in car and you see an indicated 150mph round some of the bends I remember getting the video of it years ago but I haven't watched it recently. The only mods to the Rover 827 vitessse were slicks and a noisy exhaust so the marshalls could hear him coming.

Paul
Old 05 August 2003, 10:35 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

From the Duke Video site:-
----------------------------------------------------
If you thought in-car TT '88 was a nail-biter then wait until you watch this sequel with rally ace Tony Pond at the wheel of a standard production Rover 827 Vitesse his second bid to be the first person to lap the Isle of Man TT circuit at over 100mph in a four wheeled vehicle.

Tony an Isle of Man resident and Britain's most famous rally driver almost made it during his attempt in 1988.

For his 1990 challenge he chose to do it witout a navigator. This meant a useful weight-saving - particularly effective on the 1000 feet climb from sea-level to the highest point on the circuit - but would require Tony to have perfect memory and knowledge of the TT courses 100+ bends in order to break the record.
This tape tells the full story of a remarkable achievement and captures the excitement and thrill of the record run itself via the use of on-board cameras. The end result is probably the best quality point-of-view footage ever recorded actually during a record attempt or motorsport event. We defy you not to be impressed as you enter corners where the average car and driver would be on-the-limit at 70mph at nearly double that speed.

Join Tony now for the ride of your life, but make sure you are firmly strapped in your favourite armchair before you press the play button!
----------------------------------------------------

Got the 1990 video myself - excellent viewing. From memory the lap speed is 102 MPH and this has not been beaten since. The video was mainly done as a Rover promotion. Its hard to believe the car was standard except for uprated pads and slicks - certainly doesn't sound like it - and it was pulling 150+ through Crosby.

Just been to the IOM rally - 700 miles over there Plenty of local Scoobs - kept seeing a Blue STi RA at some of the stages. Had a good run over the mountain with a Metallic Grey STi.

Not long until the Manx GP now - must get on the phone to the Steam Racket and get booked on

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 06 August 2003, 12:37 AM
markpm
Scooby Regular

Hi Ian
...Plenty of local Scoobs - kept seeing a Blue STi RA at
some of the stages.
Was it a limited edition with the roof vent and a Fantasy Rally sticker in the back window by any chance?!
If so, it was probably me!
We did 2 stages on the Thursday, 5(!) on Friday and 4 on Saturday!

Apart from the rain on Thursday night, it was an excellent weekenda rally watching...

Cheers
Mark...
Old 06 August 2003, 08:23 AM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark,

Yes thats the one - looks good

We normally only see a couple of stages a day but made an effort this year and saw a lot more. Watched from near Santon, Marine Drive, Foxdale Mines, Near Jurby, Bungalow (mountain bridge), etc. Its the first year we've seen the historics - well impressed and a lot more spectacular than I expected. Group B cars were excellent as well. I think the 6 Landrovers were slightly down on power - talked to one of the drivers after the rally and they are running 65BHP!

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 06 August 2003, 07:38 PM
markpm
Scooby Regular

...the 6 Landrovers were slightly down on power - talked to one of the drivers after the rally and they are running 65BHP!
Yes, and they weigh 1.5 tons too!!
Theyre always good fun to watch...

Thanks for the compliment on the car, I do try to keep it looking good!
What does your Scoob look like?, I'll see if I spotted you at all over the weekend...

Cheers
Mark...

Old 06 August 2003, 08:02 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark,

I was in my blue MY00 (UK car standardish with Gold P1 Wheels). Mate in our group has a green UK MY96.

Still hoping to get to Manx GP on the bike - will see what deals Steam Racket can come up with - our usual B&B is full for the Manx so it could be camping at Peel. Definitely envy you living on the IOM - been to the last 13 TTs, several Rallys and Manx GPs etc.

Cheers,

Ian.