ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Well, my ABS work…

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2000, 10:12 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Six months ago, when I got my Terzo, Privilege said they’d give me a 10% discount if I did their Masterdrive course. Always eager to learn and improve, it sounded good to me. Talking to the examiner about chucking it round country roads, he said “Ah yes, but you want to be careful. I powered round a bend I knew well, to find an artic blocking the road as it was trying to reverse into a driveway.” Well, he gave me good marks, but told me to watch my speed in urban areas.

During that time, I’ve moved from one side of East Sussex (parents) to the other (university digs), and have got to know the adjoining roads pretty well. There’s a peach that I really enjoy, particularly after 11.30pm when it’s almost empty. I’ve offered a friend a trip in the car, partly as her ex is jealous as hell that she’s been in a scooby and he hasn’t, and partly as she lives on that route.

Coming back along it tonight at 8.30pm, just as it was fully dark, I was using the empty road for a practice run, thinking about how fast I could manage it (under control of course!), and what would happen should anything untoward occur. As if by magic, the shopkeeper appeared. Heaving round a tight rising left-hander, I’m confronted with the broadside of an ambulance with its nose out to the centre of the road. I’ve no idea why it was there – reversing into a drive, perhaps? – but slowed down with a judder and got past on the wrong side of the road. I’m not even going to think about artics or cars coming the other way, I’m just grateful it was bright white with a big reflective stripe down the side. As I looked in the mirror, the guy put the blue lights on. I wondered if he was coming after me, but I think he’d just decided it was a good idea to be more visible for anyone else who could take the bend on the national speed limit.

I’m booked in for one of Richard’s courses in Chelmsford soon. I look forward to it. Meanwhile I’m going to check my will’s up to date.

Did you all have a good May Day?? :-)

BJH
Old 02 May 2000, 10:28 AM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brendan

Last year or the year before a similar thing happened to a group of police officers on a training course (I forget the location). The Instructor was demonstrating (I understand) how to gauge the limit point on a bend. Successfully negotiating the bend at speed he was then confronted with a stationary queue of traffic which he could not avoid. A nurse was killed in the collision.

Before doing your course I'd recommend reading road craft (the home office guide for Police Drivers). The rule that applies in the above case and yours is always be able to stop in the distance you can see or reasonably expect to be clear.

Safe motoring!
Old 02 May 2000, 12:28 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well avoided. A week last Saturday I used my ABS too, when the guy in front thought he'd stop at a green light, taking me somewhat by surprise . Unfortunately I didn't <I>quite</I> stop in time, and now have my car booked in for Ł300 of bumper repair (he had a towbar). Poo

Anyway, don't know why I'm talking to you, when I was a student all I could afford was a Morris Ital!

Steve

[This message has been edited by millband (edited 02-05-2000).]
Old 02 May 2000, 01:13 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Jason,

That wouldn't be Hampshire Constabulary would it? Aren't they the ones who keep writing off their UK Impreza?

Moray
Old 02 May 2000, 01:32 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

Call me old and boring, but if your braking distance exceeds your range of sight you are going too fast. Public roads are not Special Stages and there will be other users/cars/children on them. The National Speed Limit is an indication only, It does not mean you are lagally allowed to do 60mph around blind corners.
Old 02 May 2000, 01:37 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Moray I wasn't sure so I didn't say.

Orville that's it in a nutshell if your braking distance exceeds what you can see to be clear then you're taking a risk and probably driving recklessly/carelessly.

Jason

[This message has been edited by JasonHook (edited 02-05-2000).]
Old 02 May 2000, 06:54 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Fair points all round about braking distance/visibility, but lets not too much on the high horse here. I'm sure everyone here takes 'A' road corners faster than you should if you follow this rule, if only because the distance required to stop tends to be underestimated (I know, I've just been there!).

For example, if you followed this rule on unlit motorways, you'd only be able to do 40mph on dipped headlights. The fact is, you always "assume" there's not an unlit hazard ahead blocking the road.

Anyway, my point is to make progress you always take risks, it's assessing the risk and taking care that's the key thing.
Old 03 May 2000, 09:44 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Silly question I know, but has anyone ever tried to stop in the distance that they can see?

Something like this:
Check your mirror so no-one is behind you, go into a bend, set your speed so that you're travelling so that you can stop in the distance that you can see ... and then try to actually do it.

After all, it's got to be better to find out that you're underestimating your stopping distance when it doesn't matter...
Old 03 May 2000, 02:35 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Orville,

Doing 60MPH around a blind bend in national speed limit isn't a Speeding offence! It would probably be deemed as a Dangerous driving/Due Care and Attention offence though.

DavidRB,

Yes, I occasionally come around a national limit bend and have to stop for herds of sheep/dangerously parked workvans (advance warning signs leant against back of cable company van which was hideing around the corner! ) and other such hazards... I have always, insert supersticious(sp) phrase to taste, stopped with plenty of room to spare and driven on feeling a little smug that my general paranoia has again been justified!

Moray
Old 05 May 2000, 10:16 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Sorry, just back from helping a friend move house.

Steve - I'm a "mature" student (DON'T say it!!) aged 31 and two quarters! When I was an undergrad I had a Dutton Phaeton, which the ambulanceman would have heard approaching by the squeaking...

Jason/Orville - all I can say is I've learned, I'm still alive, and I posted so others might learn. I'll take a little bit of this thread and the "Scooby at 157mph" to say that I might not yet drive expecting to come to a halt in my line of sight, otherwise I'd drive a Lada and wouldn't be on this BBS, but you are right and I'll certainly redefine my definition of "under control around a bend". If I get that wrong - it's MY fault!

Safe driving to all!

BJH
Old 06 May 2000, 09:11 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Brendan,
You are talking about roads in my part of the country. Where in particular do you find them so entertaining?