Sponsored by:

What is it with people?

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2003, 07:39 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Going to work this morning nice and early (6:45), come off a roundabout onto a dual carriageway Fiesta in front of me comes off the roundabout and straight into the right hand land. I stay in the left hand lane as it is 50mph, the Fiesta stays in the righthand lane for over a mile, no cars in front and he is doing the same speed as me. I have left a gap for him to move in front, we reach the 70mph sign and this **** is still in the righthand lane [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] There was no one around so I undertook him as I was so feed up.

Why do people do this?
Old 30 July 2003, 07:46 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Thumbs down

cos they are *****?
Old 30 July 2003, 07:52 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Is it because they see a Scooby and think, I'm not pulling over for this guy?
Old 30 July 2003, 07:56 AM
saucy-scooby
Scooby Regular

Although I dn't own or dre a scooby, I get this same problem with kids in lesser cars alot too. I think its a touch of the green eyed monster, not to mention that when they get to work they can boast that the 'held off' a scooby or some other faster car than their own and thus try and impress the temp worker wearing her skirt up to her navel.
Old 30 July 2003, 08:34 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
This happens whatever car you are in- I see the same stuff happening when I return to the UK and drive round in a supermini hire car. It's the British attitude that's the problem. People just hate being overtaken- soemthing to do with the Qing ethic I think.
Old 30 July 2003, 08:41 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Cool

You need a scarier looking scooby, I find the majority of people fall over themselves to get outta my way....strange really.
Chucky
Old 30 July 2003, 08:44 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Talking

Think everyone has summed it up well, happens in all cars its the British fear / irrational thought that if move into left hand lane its uncool, un manly (sorry for being sexist), not right, not tought etc - all of the above !
Used to have fun with my 02 WRX driving on the motorway around Manchester as it was the same colour as the Police non marked one (DBM), drive at 65 - 75 on the motorway (yeah boring I know) and keep pulling into the left hand lanes, you would get streams of traffic go past and then start moving into left lane where as previously stayed in right lanes.

Richard

Trending Topics

Old 30 July 2003, 08:48 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

i have to admit i am not adverse to the occasional undertake. i will hang back for a bit, give them the opportunity to look in their mirror (as if ) then move up a little; if they insist in sitting there like a dork eventually i will get bored and undertake (providing there is space in front of the other car). usually get the knuckle shuffle sign, but what do I care? I'm 1/2 a mile down the road by that time in any case.

OTOH I always make the effort to move over for someone who wants to get passed me, unless traffic is so heavy that there really is *no* point.
Old 30 July 2003, 09:29 AM
Soobmeister
Scooby Regular

idiots basicly!
Old 30 July 2003, 09:29 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

The other annoying one is when you are on a long drive and you get people that come flying past you thinking they have beaten the scoob then 5 mins later you have caught up with them as they have slowed down and now you have to overtake them.
Old 30 July 2003, 09:40 AM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Cool

Your best bet if you wish to get people to drive in the correct lane, not the overtaking lanes is to wear your rally marshall or similar high vis yellow jacket whilst driving. Bit sad but works a treat for me when they see me. Oh shxt its the cops.
Old 30 July 2003, 09:59 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I tend to make my pressence known when it is TOTALLY SAFE for them to move into the inside lane & have not done so, by flashing my lights briefly.

If I get a V sign or other derogatory signal, I take it that they have seen me and that they have chosen to ignore me and have no intention of fulling their requirement under the Highway Code to keep left/move back to the inside. So, I move to the inside & undertake them slowly paying particular attention to silly retaliation by the car get passed

I also undertake cars whose drivers are weaving about, trying to get things off the floor, reading papers or otherwise not paying attention/a potential danger. Prefer them up my a$$ than spinning in front of me

I find that if you're in traffic (like A14, M11 2 lane bit) and everybody sticks to the o/side lane & you match the speed of the tail car but on the inside lane, then soon all the peeps in the outside lane bunchup & slow down & you, whilst slowing down but not as quickly, can sail up several cars worth - all legal according to the Highway Code. Then move into the outside lane overtaking a lorry & back in again & repeat. Some people get really stressed about it & sit on the bumper of the car in front to close down any gap in the o/side that you might move into, but as you're chilled from cruising and not stop/start/bumper/bumper/slow/stop/bumper etc its not a problem, the next car will let you out... & you'll do the same again but several more cars in a few mins anyway

Think its one of my pet hates, people sitting in outside lanes and I wish the government would start a campaign to "Keep Left". Surely with people keeping to the left, traffic might flow a bit easier, people will be less stressed and less accidents will occur?

[Edited by Puff The Magic Wagon! - 7/30/2003 10:00:43 AM]
Old 30 July 2003, 10:25 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
It's because they are all ....'s
Old 30 July 2003, 10:55 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I get this all the time & it really P1sses me off. Yesterday a **** in a Peugot Estate pulls out on me, So i have to brake & go close to his **** end, Not happy with pulling out he also then stood on his brakes, I followed him into the Focus Carpark (obviously in a rush to purchase a door ****) and asked him why he stood on his brakes after pulling out. His Reply " YOU WERE UP MY **** IN YOUR FLASH CAR"
What a W@nker 2 wrongs don't make a right & i told him for his Info that my car is 8 years older than his, ARghhhh. Right weres my Mountain Bike !!!!
Dean
Old 30 July 2003, 11:36 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

You know after many years of studying this I've come to the conclusion that these people haven't got a clue why they are there either.

It has no malicious intent whatsoever they just haven't got the slightest bit of road craft in their bodies.

Look around you everyday, there are some thick fúckers wherever you are, be it the Supermarket, work or here.

It takes nothing to put them in a car on the road.

Do you really think they are going to transform into an intelligent being?

No.
Old 30 July 2003, 11:36 AM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

Agree re keep left campaign. All this road congestion/vast amounts of £££ needed to build new roads etc - much cheaper to persuade at least half the dozy gits on Mways to move left as soon as possible.

The general approach of sitting in long lines in outside lane is infuriating - I too use PTMW's sensible law-abiding inside lane approach.

In the US you can overtake in any lane (though of course they have a few more to chose from) - traffic seems to flow much better (and at 70mph+ before you all reply that they only do 55).

The general lane sense in UK is awful. Autobahns still a delight where users generally more aware of what might be approaching behind - even when you're doing a sedate 130mph, that AMG needs room to manouvre at 165mph!
Old 30 July 2003, 01:31 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Spoon's got it 100% right IMHO
Old 30 July 2003, 01:41 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Had this happen to me and it really p!$$e$ me off, i find the best revenge is to undertake then pull back out into the outside lane and gradually slow down to about 50mph and see how they like it. Then if they try and undertake you BOOT IT!
Old 30 July 2003, 01:45 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Whilst we are in winge mode,
Another place for lack of lane discipline is ......... ROUNDABOUTS,
How many times do you have somebody weaving / drifting all over the place trying to side swipe / clip you !!!!!!
Old 30 July 2003, 01:48 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Chuck LOL, no they see an old_fart and know how dangerous they can be................
Old 30 July 2003, 01:55 PM
spanner75
Scooby Regular

get this all the time in brum little cars just refuse to move over i undertake now all the time if it is clear on the inside lane then make a point of pulling in front of them 95% move over after you have pasted them .
when the misus drives the scooby in her nurses uniform she gets people shouting abuse to her about how she gets to much money ect,
02 wrx only costs us £250 a month on a pcp you pay more of lesser cars.
Old 30 July 2003, 01:58 PM
SUNDAY DRIVER
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Buy an Evo and they'll pull over-I swear to god this is the biggest difference between an Evo and a Scoob-you dont even need to use the power-people just let you past.
Old 30 July 2003, 01:58 PM
Project ST
Scooby Regular

Be it through jealousy or the assumption that you are a bad/arrogant/stupid/dangerous driver because you have a powerful/modified/noticeable car, many drivers are quite happy to go out of their way to make your life dangerous.

I had an MY03 Range Rover driver (complete with tinted windows) attempt to push me off the M25 two days ago after cutting me up and giving the w***er sign out of his window. Just to make matters less comfortable than they already were, this occurred at the junction where the motorist was stabbed a couple of years ago (was it a Steve Norris who was later jailed for the attack?).

My fault for modifying my Fiesta I guess...?
Old 30 July 2003, 02:00 PM
Lanes
Scooby Regular

DeanF - you want to try Milton Keynes. More roundabouts than any where else and drivers with no idea about how to get round them!
Old 30 July 2003, 02:37 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think drivers' behaviour is governed according to the cycle of the moon / tides / price of muesli. I've noticed that somtimes you can have "invisible" days when no-one wants to give way and cuts you up; and others when everyone is courteous and waves you through etc. Seriously, I think it boils down to two types of driver : those who admire the car 'cos they know what it is, and those who despise you for the very same reason.

It's bad enough with drivers making mistakes (EVERYONE makes them)but worse when the driver is unaware of the error.
Old 30 July 2003, 04:09 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Lanes,

You will have to get some over riders fitted all round to act as a buffer zone, And as for Invisible days I have to agree with Ken275 it happens alot, May have to fit some truck style air horns in an attempt to wake them up, Failing that the noise may at least make them **** in there Pants :