Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WRX SL vs WRX STi

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2003, 02:17 PM
Chris_O
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone fill me in on teh main differences between the WRX SL and the WRX STi??

I don;t really know too much about these cars except that i want to buy one, and i'm not sure what to get.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Chris
Old 30 July 2003, 02:55 PM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

Wink

that's a goodun ; "don't know much about these cars but want to buy one".

Why?
Old 30 July 2003, 02:59 PM
eclipse
Scooby Regular

Isn't the SL just a spec up WRX ie leather interior and things like that, like the turbo 2000 SR.
Old 30 July 2003, 03:04 PM
martin_oleary
Scooby Regular

Yeah an SL is basically a WRX with Leather seats and a sunroof
Old 30 July 2003, 03:25 PM
revitt
Scooby Regular

I toyed with the idea of the WRX SL before buying the STI. The sunroof was one of the main considerations for me, can't stand them. Plus there are lots of goodies in the STI that the WRX just does not have.

Originally I also wanted the leather seats as I have had them for years now and find them much more comfortable than cloth, that is until I got the STI. Don't kow what the material is but it is as comfortable as leather and grips like sh*t to a blanket.

At the end of the day it depends what you want, I wanted the performance and road handling and the STI has enough extras to make this better than the WRX, but a WRX with PPP is still going to be an awesome car.
Old 30 July 2003, 03:30 PM
Chris_O
Scooby Regular

When a said i didn't know anything about the cars i was slightly exagerating. My knowledge is a bit weak in the areas of what the various models are etc. For example until last week i didn't know what a P1 was and i still don't know what the hell a 22B is.

The reason i want an impreza is because i think they look pretty good, they have excellent performance and they're big enough that i can sling a set of diving gear in the back.

What i'm trying to work out now is what car is right for me. So far i have established that i'm not going to be buying a P1 'cos the insurance is mental.
Having looked at subaru.co.uk it seems that the WRX is what i want, but i'd like to know what 'extra' comes with the STi, and once i sus that i'll know whether that's what i'll be going for.

phew, anyway, better get back to looking like i'm working.

Chris
Old 30 July 2003, 03:37 PM
Chris_O
Scooby Regular

Revitt>>

What Extra's does the STi have over the other SL??? That's really what i want to know.
As for leather seats, i've never had them and couldn;t care less about having them.

Trending Topics

Old 30 July 2003, 03:39 PM
Chris_O
Scooby Regular

oops double post.
rookie mistake, tut tut

[Edited by Chris_O - 30/07/2003 15:47:42]
Old 30 July 2003, 03:44 PM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

If slinging diving kit in the back - would forget STi and go for WRX PPP Wagon - much more space and even do a plastic tray for boot that stops all that salt water and sand wrecking the car.

Old 30 July 2003, 03:54 PM
Chris_O
Scooby Regular

I'm not buying a wagon,heh heh
Seriously though, i use my Civic type-r for the diving gear at the moment and it's not really an issue, mainly because once it's been moved out of my gaff it get slung in a mates 4x4 and it's usualyy failry dry by the time it's back out the 4x4 and into the CTR.

Old 30 July 2003, 03:56 PM
doaney
Scooby Regular

Wink

Okay I've for a MY99 STi and these are the extras that I can gather, but not 100% sure. Well for starters the engine is built to a higher standard with forged stuff instead of cast stuff, plus different more uprated turbo. There will be some more subtle differences as well but these I know about. Think the intercooler is slightly more uprated but looks the same.
It also comes with quick shift gear box, climate control, electric mirrors (Jap. Import) and the alcatara (sweade) material oh! and the damn useful rear wiper
What you do not get is the adjustable front headlights and no split folding rear seats - bumber
Old 30 July 2003, 04:09 PM
Arthur Fowler
Scooby Regular

No split rear seat on the 03 WRX 4 door either unfortunately.

Arthur
Old 30 July 2003, 04:12 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

So far i have established that i'm not going to be buying a P1 'cos the insurance is mental.
P1 - Grp 20
Sti Grp 20
WRX - Grp 19

There aint much difference but looks like the WRX is best choice.
Old 30 July 2003, 04:21 PM
Chris_O
Scooby Regular

in terms of insurance group that's a weird one. I got a quote the other day for a brand new Honda S2000, 2.0 litre, 250 BHP £26000 convertible motor that was going to be left in the street and i was quoted 1200 quid or there abouts.
Then i phone the same company today and get a quote for a p1 also group 20 although more power, which is valued about 8k less and isn't a soft top and they're looking for over 3 grand.
In saying that who the hell knows how these guys work out what they charge you.

[Edited by Chris_O - 30/07/2003 16:35:00]