Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good cumbrian driving roads???

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2003, 02:19 AM
davefaulder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a nice run out from Carlisle on Friday up to Penrith and across the A66 through Keswick to Cockermouth. Plenty of nice twisty bits mixed in with fast dual carraigeway and lovely scenery. Just wondering if anyone else has any reccomendations for any nice drives in the car?

Cheers
Dave.
Old 29 July 2003, 04:50 AM
Cord
Scooby Regular

In wales the A4212 from Bala to Trawsfynydd (don't ask me how to pronounce that!!!!) is mega, about 12 miles of super fast sweeping fairly wide A road. Very open with good views of what's coming next (apart from a few blind crests) Somewhere near the Trawsfynydd end there is a sequence of seven bends that you can take without dropping under 110mph. Probabaly faster if you can actually drive a car.
Old 29 July 2003, 09:07 AM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

As you're in Carlise, try the A686 which runs from the A69 down to the M6 at Penrith. Rises to over 1700 feet at the summit, so a weather check before starting out in winter is a good idea.

Doug
Old 29 July 2003, 09:16 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Arrow

the A591 between Keswick and Bothel is quite good (The other side of Bassenthwaite Lake from the A66) very twisty for about 12 miles - will give the gearbox a work out!

When you get to Keswick, follow the road around Derwent Water towards Seatoller and over Honister Pass, (v. steep - watch the tourists frantically looking for 1st gear!) That'll take you past Buttermere Lake and Crummock Water. 4 Lakes in 1 trip - Plenty of Picnic / Walking opportunities - should keep the other half happy! You can then have a choice when you get to Lorton - either back via Whinlatter Pass (good place for taking pics of the car) or you could carry on into Cockermouth - the road brings you out at a Shell Garage!
Old 29 July 2003, 10:05 AM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

The Cold Fell road from Ennerdale to Calder Bridge is good! Also the road from Gosforth over to Ulpha. There are loads of good ones through the Lakes, but only in winter when there are no tourists on them!

I'm going to organise a run out in a couple of weeks, probably down the West coast and over into the Lakes. Keep an eye on Northern section for details.
Old 29 July 2003, 10:19 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

will do - never been on a scooby convoy before.
Old 29 July 2003, 11:07 AM
davefaulder
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

douglasb - I assume you are meaning across Hartside? I was planning a trip out there one weekend soon. A friend of mine who drives an R33 Skyline went out a couple of weeks ago but he said that every time he had the chance to put his foot down a police car appeared.

messiah - Thanks for the suggestion. Funnily enough I was racking my brains trying to think of somewhere good to go and take some pics of the car. Might be a good chance to get that done as well.

mark@wrx - I'll keep my eyes on the northern forum. A scooby run out sounds like good fun. I was round the west coast on sunday but I only got as far down as StBees. Where were you thinking of starting from?
Old 29 July 2003, 11:17 AM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave

Yes, the road I mentioned is the Hartside one. I've never seen Plod on that road, but the times I've driven it have been midweek. Judging by the warning signs, it is probably a popular road with bikers at weekends and could attract Plod.

Doug

Old 29 July 2003, 11:25 AM
misty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice road from Lancaster to Hambleton via Glasson, about 10 miles, some cracking bends and one mother of a straight.Just beware of the 90 left at the end, nearly caught me out in a TVR 390 a couple of summers ago, could have been ploughing the field with the tractor!
Old 29 July 2003, 11:39 AM
davefaulder
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yeah he went out on a Sunday. The short version of what he said was that he had seen one patrol car and two bikes in the afternoon. Also it would appear that they are putting one of their speed camera vans on the A686 most Sunday's. This came to light in another thread. See the site below.

http://cumbriasafetycameras.org/schedule.php

Misty - Thanks for the tip. I don't often get down Lancaster way apart from work on a weekend every now and then. But if I am in the area I'll have to have a look. Oh and you definately don't want to plough fields with a TVR it'll play hell with the fibreglass!
Old 29 July 2003, 11:48 AM
misty
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dave don't even think about it on a Sundys, full of wrinkleys in Nissan primeras and budding Carl Foggartys!
Old 29 July 2003, 11:52 AM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Dave, I was thinking of starting at Cockermouth. I have a rough idea of the route we are going to take (and it goes further South than St Bees!) but due to other commitments its probably gonna be around Sunday 17th August. Would this date suit?
Old 29 July 2003, 11:55 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

oh god - not the road to Egremont! Twisty it may be - but its also a pain in the ****!
Old 29 July 2003, 12:02 PM
davefaulder
Scooby Regular

Mark - Can't see why not. Plenty of notice to sort out the free time. Only times I have a problem with are Friday evening's and Saturday Evening's. Starting in Cockermouth sounds fine to me. I work there on a night each weekend so I'm quite familiar with the place. I've seen a black catalunya around there before...anyone you know?

Misty - Yep all my mates that ride bikes love the road. And come to think of it they all give it the full foggy style behaviour as well. Although no Ducatis, the best they can muster is an R6.
Old 29 July 2003, 01:04 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Dave

Were you at a wedding at Hundith Hotel by any chance, as I was in Cockermouth too. I went on the B5292 from Cockermouth to Keswick via Derwent water through 'something' pass awsome route especially when you are playing cat and mouse with a 400bhp ecsort cossie !

Steve
Old 29 July 2003, 01:08 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

The Catalunya is owned by a lad called Des. He used to post on here quite regularly but I haven't seen him for a while.
Old 29 July 2003, 01:09 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

See Northern section for the post.

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=234850
Old 29 July 2003, 02:50 PM
davefaulder
Scooby Regular

Steve - No I wasn't at the Hundith Hill. I doubt I'd be very welcome. Last time I was there the manager tried to hit my mate over the head with a bar stool!!! It very nearly came to blows and I haven't been back since. I work in the 'Arena' bar on Main Street it used to be called Sam's. Although I was out for a run I was on a timetable to get to work so I couldn't endulge in back road antics I just stayed on the A66 apart from a quick detour through Keswick town centre. I'll keep my eyes peeled when I'm out west never know when I'll spot one of you guys!

Mark - I passed him a couple of weeks ago. I think from memory it had a private plate on it.
Old 29 July 2003, 02:54 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

not been in arena for ages - well not sice its been "arena"!

do you still serve 12 yr olds (lol)
Old 29 July 2003, 02:57 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Honister Pass. The road from Kewick up into Borrowdale to get to the bottom of Honister Pass is also "a bit twisty"

Try it early in the morning or late at night. If you get stuck behind a grockle it spoils the whole trip.

Cheers

Ian
Old 29 July 2003, 02:58 PM
scoobydevil1
Scooby Regular

I like the A41 from wolverhampton to whichurch fast wide A road light trafic if you avoid rush hour times hardly any police but the have started using an unmarked dark green estate car which i think has cameras in as they lean camera signs on the side and back of it just parked on the side of the road.

gaz
Old 29 July 2003, 03:00 PM
davefaulder
Scooby Regular

Wink

We had Cockermouth's most famous 16year old millionairess Callie Rodgers in on Friday!!! Just goes to prove that even if you don't have ID that £1.8million pounds will do instead!

Really the age thing has tightened up lately. Kind of. Well after a fashion any way.
Old 29 July 2003, 10:17 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

The minimum age in Cockermouth must have gone up then! Used to ber out there every weekend before I moved to Whitehaven. Lived there for over 20 years! God I feel old!