Sponsored by:

What started it all for you?

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2003, 11:09 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Back in 1996 I didn't even know Subarus existed. I was vaguely aware of the existence of cars, but not in any involved sense as I couldn't even drive, though I was in my thirties. At the time I'd just joined a band of thirtysomethings called the Po' boys that had the (dubious!) honour of having a British Superbike champion occupying the drum stool- one James Whitham of the Huddersfield Parish. At that time he was going through chemotherapy for non-Hodgkins' lymphoma and had lost all his hair, even his pubes which he would grab handfuls of between songs and sprinkle dolefully onto his snare drum skin. It used to drive him wild when people in the audience used to shout out "Let's have a look at the scores, George Dawes!" though the resemblance was undeniable. He bought a 96P Impreza turbo in reddish blue (laughable colour description, must have lost something in translation- like Japanese instruction manuals), gold wheels etc. The now iconic image of the breed. Even with my lack of interest in cars I knew I'd never seen anything like it on the road before.
He took Jep, the singer, for a quick spin and I was shocked at the sheer obscene bellow coming from the exhaust and the rapidity of its acceleration. I must have led a sheltered life because I had no idea that cars like this were available for everyday use. As a mature student at the time and with no licence, the prospect of owning one was about as likely as a trip in the space shuttle. But that didn't matter. I was hooked. As surely and as securely as anyone could be. So I learned to drive.
James sold his about a year or so later for what he paid for it, the spawny get, but I still hankered for one. Evidently, James's girlfriend Andrea (now wife) resented the fact that he'd sold it on because as soon has she became independently flush she bought one for herself- a 99V, high rear spoiler, mica blue. Gorgeous. So there it was. Another one, close by, stinging my insides with envy every time I saw it! So I'd passed my test, gone from a 1.6 Vauxhall Belmont to a 1.8 Cavalier to a 2.0 16v Cavalier. At one of the gigs I talked to Andrea about her Impreza and she said "I'd really like a clk... or a Porsche". I was flabbergasted. I was annoyed! I was absolutely livid that she could sit there owning something that I thought I could never have and wanting something else and I told her so! It wasn't her fault of course, but that didn't alter the sense of injustice I felt.
At about this time the lads all got tickets to see the Who, all except myself who couldn't be ar*ed, and as usual they were running late. They were going to miss the gig if they didn't do something drastic. The something drastic turned up in the shape of James saying "Sod it, I'll take us all int' Subbaru"(sic). Which he duly did. I missed out again!- A rollercoaster B-road blast in my dream car with someone at the wheel who could really drive... god I was gutted. Things moved on and for various reasons I left the band after seven eventful and enjoyable years. I never lost the obsession and a year and a half later I bought into the dream. I've had my MY98 turbo for four months now and I'm like a dog with four tails and five *******. I'm nearly forty-one but it just goes to show that no-one ever really grows up, they just lose the impulse to put their baseball cap on back-to-front.
Thanks for listening and I hope my reminiscences have been entertaining!

[Edited by Bubba po - 7/24/2003 11:37:22 AM]

[Edited by Bubba po - 7/24/2003 12:28:47 PM]
Old 24 July 2003, 11:16 AM
sherlock
Scooby Regular

Bubba Po
Hello and i hope you have many enjoyable years out of your scooby as i've had. Anything to do with scoobys can be found on here, don't forget the meetss.
Happy driving
SHERLOCK
Old 24 July 2003, 11:29 AM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Smile

I wanted one ever since I got absolutely wasted by one just after I had past my test. Of course I was in my mums fiat panda, and not the 1000cc, it was the 750
Old 24 July 2003, 11:32 AM
Treacle
Scooby Regular

Talking

Waiting so long makes ownership all the more sweeter . Enjoy yourself, but be carefull, as you can see from recent threads they can bite .
Treacle
Old 24 July 2003, 11:32 AM
The Gilly
Scooby Regular

Quality read :-)

How did I get into all this?

Simply really, needed a practical car for work, reliable yet still keeping in with my style of car.........

Old 24 July 2003, 11:34 AM
pthomlinson@hotmail.com
Scooby Regular

always liked the look of the impreza - but when the agressive looking MY99 & 00 came out it was like "gotta get me one of those" - going like $hit off a shovel was an added bonus.

they even sound the doggies danglies when just ticking over...

the old "looks like it's doing 100mph when in car park" comment is just so spot on.
Old 24 July 2003, 11:35 AM
Treacle
Scooby Regular

Cool

Doh, forgot to say what started it all . Mr Mcrae and his awesome rally driving. Oh yeah, the power bulge became a bit of an obsession as well .

Trending Topics

Old 24 July 2003, 11:37 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Always been into fast cars since I was a teen but I “blame” GammonRoll for getting me into Scoobs. He bought a 01 WRX and took me for a spin. Fell in love instantly and he introduced me to Scoobynet where I eventually got my hands on a minted MY00 in Sonic Blue. Modded it to high heaven and spent a fortune on it but I don’t regret ever buying one for a second. Now a family man, but one day I’ll buy myself another one as a “weekend” car, lol
Old 24 July 2003, 11:39 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Got to drive one around Melbourne streets, aboot 2 years ago - came back, though about it for a while, got rid of me Merc CLK430 and bought a scoob
Old 24 July 2003, 11:41 AM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

I always liked them but thought i could never afford one... I used to say to my mates as soon as i finish uni and get a job im having one.... so 6 months after i got a job i went car hunting, but without the idea of getting a scoob...

I went looking for an MR2 turbo, i found a place near me who deal in imports.. I took the MR2 turbo out and was pretty impressed especially with the handling in the dry. When i got the car back after the test drive the guy as a joke said you want one of them...

pointing to my, now very own MY95 WRX... My girlfriend said just get a bigger loan and buy the fecking thing as you always go on about them.... So next up was the test drive, i was still unsure of getting a bigger loan.... BUT as soon as i hit 4000rpm exiting a round about in 2nd gear..........SOLD..!!!! and ive never looked back...

OH AND THAT SOUND...............!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

[Edited by dhorwich - 7/24/2003 11:43:08 AM]
Old 24 July 2003, 11:43 AM
P1-day
Scooby Regular

i wanted 1 for about 4 years before i could finally buy mine. i bought all the mags and told the whole world i was gonna get 1. got teased by those jealous @rseh0les 'your chtting ****, u r never gonna get a subaru', blah, blah, blah, but alas, the wait was well worth it
Old 24 July 2003, 11:44 AM
sherlock
Scooby Regular

Sorry forgot to say how and why, my mate got a new MY98 when i was in Germany he took me for a blast around a "track" the power, the grip, the looks, the the the ..........sound and i'm spent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24 July 2003, 11:51 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I've wanted one for as long as I could remember. The noise, that absurd bulge/scoop on the bonnet, the pointless wing - I wouldn't change any of it!

A mate of mine had a PPP'd Terzo a few years back, and she scared me silly in it - fantastic. I was so jealous. That was it; hooked. I had to have one. And now I do .
Old 24 July 2003, 11:57 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks everyone, and thanks Treacle for your kind thoughts. The last thing I want to do after all this time is to put it in a ditch, or worse. Had a couple of hairy moments but its all about 'establishing parameters' i'n't it? if you get away with it that is!! Perhaps I need an advanced driving course or something- or am I just a perpetual student? :0/
Old 24 July 2003, 12:10 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

i still want one.....

one day, one day....
Old 24 July 2003, 12:32 PM
Coopz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Always been into cars and bikes, i'm one of 4 girls and 1 boy and our dad decided we'd all be boys! Had my first bike at about 5 and first car to drive off road at about 10. Love speed always will and Scoobys just look and drive fecking brill!

Don't do any of the technical/mechanical stuff as my brother and dad (and now my other half too) are great and there's not much they can't do, so i get the best of it and just get to go out and play!!
Old 24 July 2003, 12:44 PM
jhrfc1
Scooby Regular

My mate works for a subaru/mitsubishi garage and saw me reading the Impreza v EVO test in the Sunday Times. He said 'we've got both of those at the garage why don't you come down and have a go'.
I wasn't even due to change my car but drove the Impreza and had to buy one staright away. (hated the EVO BTW).
PPP the next step for me.

Old 24 July 2003, 12:56 PM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

Went to Network Q special at silverstone 4 years ago. Admired couple of new wagons in muddy car park. Test drove 96 wagon - and as above - hooked by oomph above 3000revs. Replaced Cherokee (4-litres great for back-end out on greasy roundabouts).

Promised wife would keep for 3 years. Time up - now have WRX03 and waiting for PPP in few weeks time: so utterly hooked as ultimate understated peformance car with room for kitchen sink and tow bar. That'll get the typical "you can't put a towbar on a Scooby/ sacrilege"comments"!!
Old 24 July 2003, 01:11 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Saw Top Gear when they were talking about the New Impreza coming out shortly with Turbo & AWD & thought - I want one of them...

Why? 'cos I'd always liked Subarus and always wanted a 4WD Turbo car - ever since the Audi Quatro Turbo came out.

In June 99 Ez was born & we needed a practical 5dr car with a/con. Because of residuals, a PCP for a new Wagon was a lot less than anything else in monthlys

The rest is history - thats 4 years last week

Old 24 July 2003, 02:01 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

hmm i was in my dads car and we came off a slip road onto a motorway and one went flying past and my dad said "fancey one of them son"

"yeah if i could afford one"
got a payrise from work and thought i might as well put it to good use so i bought one

happy
Old 24 July 2003, 03:01 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Always wanted one since they appeared mid-nineties. Was into the rallying scene back then, with a mate running an MG Maestro round the GB rallying scene. He raved on about them when they first came out, and I was hooked since then.

The only car he said was ever better was the Evo, but they're too impractical for daily commuting. Plus, I personally prefer the look of a Scooby (classic).

So as soon as I had my own place, had gathered enough no-claims, it was inevitable that I'd get one. Sold my 91 Celica to afford it, and haven't looked back since... probably because the huge rear spoiler prevents me from doing this!