Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ermmm, well me i guess

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2003, 01:47 AM
jmgelba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can i just say what a nice bunch of people you Scoobynetters are. Very informative, very entertaining, very friendly. I miss home, i always wanted a Scooby, i moved to America 2 years ago and i bought my brand new wagon in January.
You are probably all asleep right now, so good night, god bless to all you guys!!

James.

A drunken english guy stuck in Michigan.

PS if anyone ever comes over this side of the pond, ive landed in a great part of the world, and made a good living, you are welcome to come sailing with me, and have a laff with me and me bird. I live on Lake Michigan, and there is some serious totty around here in bikinnis.
Old 15 July 2003, 02:10 AM
Dazza012
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Who's asleep ? still bloody working mate and its my birthday to boot !
Old 15 July 2003, 04:08 AM
jmgelba
Scooby Regular

Well happy birthday mate, sorry it was on a workday. Hope you celebrated on the weekend.
My dads 60th on the 31st of July, im gonna miss it. Dont know what to send him. Thinking about a bottle of Johnnie Walker blue label. Bloody expensive.
Old 15 July 2003, 04:27 AM
zoomzoom
Scooby Regular

Talking

good to see someone else on this side of the pond

happy birthday dazza
Old 15 July 2003, 09:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Whats the fishing like James? Happy birthday Dazza!

Les

[Edited by Leslie - 7/15/2003 9:42:47 AM]
Old 15 July 2003, 10:08 AM
V-techland
Scooby Regular

Question

Jmgelba,

How difficult is it to work in the US?? been considering it for about 18 months now!

I appreciate that Green cards become a heavy factor, but some of my friends have worked in the US on company provided permits!!

I would be looking to get work in the US rather than be a compamy employee on an internal move! any advice??

Do you know of any recruitment sites which might be of any use to me (Sales or Marketing if poss)?? I'm not too fussed as to where in the US I would like to be.................I just need to get away from this place

Cheers
Old 15 July 2003, 04:07 PM
jmgelba
Scooby Regular

Ok, this might be a long post so bare with me.
If you can, moving here through your company is by far the cheapest method, but obviously, if your employment ends with that company, you gotta go home.
This is how i did it:
I met Bekki in a forum, kinda like this, and we got to know each other pretty good, so i invited her over to visit, she did, we met, had a good time, and i went to visit her. Things developed and we got together. She found a teaching job here and took a sabatical from her job in the US and lived with me in Nottinghamshire for 15 months, then we had a tough decision to make. She was earning a third of the wages here for the same teaching position, and as she had commitments for the US, was finding it hard to make ends meet. If she didnt return after 16 months, her job in the US would go to someone else. So we decided to live in the US.
We researched visas for me. Found that there are quotas each year for educationally approved visa, ie, i wanted to use my engineering degree to get me over on i believe a H4 visa (memory fails, its been a while since i started the process)Waiting list 5-7 years!! So that wasnt going to happen. I applied for job after job after job with no luck.
The last option was for us to get married and me to come over on a spousal green card. The waiting list wasnt long, 6 months, so this is what we did. We got married 17th March, 2001.
Hire a lawyer - the best bit of advice you will ever get. Its expensive, $3000, about, what 2300 quid??, but worth every single penny. I landed in the US 15th June. Without my lawyer, it would have been a minimum of another 3 months.
Also, the paperwork and the hoops you have to jump through are a pain in the ***.

You need, from memory:
1 LAWYER!!!
2 original long form birth certs
1 original marriage cert
1 passport
1 original police report
US immigration service paperwork
British consulate paperwork
3 correct sized and posed photos
aids test
various shots
all your medical records
chest x rays (tuburculosis test)
An affidavit of support from someone in the US stating that they will look after you till you get a job, or if you loose a job, for 2 years. I got my mother in law to do this for me.
You need to have an address where you are going to live. This address needs to be confirmed before you even leave the country. Again, mother in law to the rescue.
Then you go to the consulate in London, they stab you with needles, look at your paperwork, interview you, and stamp yey or nay.
Ok, so after you do all that you get your immigration approval and you can leave.
Then youll have to wait for your green card. It will be delivered to the address you have in America. Cant work without it. Mine came in 2 weeks, i had an engineering job within 5 weeks of moving. You will need to apply for a social security card. This has a number on it which you need to get credit, taxes paid, medical etc etc. You can use your British driving licence for up to one year (i have a story about that for another time).
The first green card you get will be whats called a Conditional Perminent Resident. Basically, no getting into trouble, no divorce, limited foreign travel etc etc for 2 years. Then you can apply for removal of conditions. Im doing this right now and have just been temporarly approval for another year while they research my case.
If you are approved, you are then able to do pretty much anything except vote for 10 years, when you have to all this again. Or just apply for citizenship. If you do, you have to renounce your British nationality. New law last year.
Oh, yes, you also have to agree to sign up for call up by the US army if they have a draft. Draft ends when you are 26. You will not be allowed in the country if you dont sign up.

I think thats about everything.

Is it worth it?? YES!!! I earn tripple for the same job, cost of living is less, Americans arnt that bad once you get to know them, they will bring you out of your shell and you will learn that life over here is a beer and a laugh. I love it here in Michigan.

THE FISHING IS AMAZING!! Trout, walleye, pike, perch, sunfish, salmon, smelt, whitefish, sturgeon, catfish, bass, bluegill, and others i cant remember, all available a couple of hundred feet from my front door. I co-own a 22 foot yacht. Have my first brand new car, own 7 acres of land. All from virtually nothing 2 years ago. Im not boasting, im telling you this is a land of opertunity.

Phew, well, im going to give my fingers a rest.

I will find links to websites of my town so you can all take a look if you want to.

James.

Old 15 July 2003, 04:15 PM
wannabeScooby
Scooby Regular

22ft yacht! Forget your village, I wanna see pictures of that! I've been to Lake Michigan on a holiday and its an amazing place...

Sail you're way here for a visit sometime!