Sponsored by:

wrx03 : seats and PPP noise?

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2003, 05:36 PM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Following many missives posted over last 3 months, I agree that only downer (so far) on new WRX 03 Wagon compared to classic (and several test drives of Bugeye)is the seats: they're not quite as supportive as original ones - despite looking better.

Still running in/loving it, but 1K service looms so can then try it above 4K revs, shortly to be followed by PPP.

Have seen various 03/PPP reports on this fab site - but would seem that overiding view is £1600 adds oomph (with all important warranty) to already well-sorted car. However, wondering if wife will spot the change - how noisy is it on long motorway as I only tested demo PPP on A/B roads? She is unlikely to notice two pipes becoming one!

Anyone tried selling nearly-new exhaust after PPP fit?

Old 14 July 2003, 05:38 PM
jhrfc1
Scooby Regular

Hope you don't mind but I'd like to post another MY03 WRX/PPP question, what does it do to the fuels consumption?
As I use my car everyday rush hours journeys, I need to know before deciding to go PPP.
Old 14 July 2003, 06:01 PM
Jeremy'sMum
Scooby Regular

Talking

Haven't got PPP on my MY03 yet..... but I've read on here that it SAVES FUEL!!!!!! (more efficient or something). So by fitting this, you're helping to SAVE THE PLANET which must be a good thing That's why I'm getting it.
Old 14 July 2003, 07:02 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think the official line is that by having better midrange torque with PPP, you don't have to deck the throttle as much to get somewhere (the engine's more flexible in-gear so you shouldn't need to be dropping a cog as much either)...

but, if you want to use the extra oomph more (and who wouldn't ) you get the heavy right foot effect on the juice bill

Apple
Old 15 July 2003, 11:06 AM
blip
Scooby Regular

I have an MY03 wagon with PPP, and IMO the increase in noise is not really that significant, and I too had concerns about this prior to PPP fitting. Yes it is a bit louder/deeper, slightly more noticable burble and more vocal when charging hard but it is still fairly refined in the cabin most of the time. I don't do much motorway driving but doubt you'd have a big problem in that dept.

Anyway if the wife says anything just come up with some BS about it being noisier due to the car being properly run in now and the coating having burned off the cats or something.

Economy-wise I don't closely monitor it as I knew that bad fuel economy came with the territory of owning a scoob, but can't really say I have noticed a big swing either way since having the PPP fitted. I still see way too much of the girl in my local Esso

OK there may be a theory about using lower revs in general driving because of the increase in torque, but with me that doesn't apply as I'm addicted to the extra performance and if anything drive the car harder with the PPP fitted than I did before.

Have to agree about the seats though - they suck!!
Old 15 July 2003, 11:13 AM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

any comments about the original noise Q?!

Do know that (bizarely) MY03 has improved fuel consumption over Bugeye, as well as extra bhp - how do they do that?! Not sure about PPP but will do test and report back once fitted.
Old 15 July 2003, 11:18 AM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

doh - in the time I wrote last Blip had written good answer re noise: thanks!

Fuel consumption worries and fitting PPP - doesn't really compute.
Old 15 July 2003, 11:42 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

PPP makes more noise, but then the standard WRX is very quiet, so if you are going from a classic to a WRX PPP, the noise difference is not to great.

However, I was in big trouble when I drove it home after the 1K service, at which the upgrade was fitted. Your partner WILL notice and the neighbours and friends in the next town! Not as bad as a Magnex etc agreed, but it's still fairly loud outside.

Fuel ecconomy is slightly improved. Between 28-32 on the motorway, much better than the classic, which never returned over 26, even on a run.

Dan
Old 15 July 2003, 12:14 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Thanks for confirming the economy of PPP Dan, that's great - I'm doing lots of mway miles right now, and am seeing 30+ MPG. Good to know the PPP won't knacker it.
Old 15 July 2003, 12:40 PM
jhrfc1
Scooby Regular

Wink

Right, so if Liverpool & Victoria will insure it for no extra cost and the fuel cost won't be very difference, all I've got to pay is the £1600 right?
Somebody please agree with me!
Old 15 July 2003, 12:48 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The real challenge would be getting my wife to agree to the "only £1600" bit. If you find a way of doing this, please let me know

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 15 July 2003, 01:25 PM
mr.nick
Scooby Regular

Hi, I've had my 03 WRX PPP since the beginning of June and during the first month I noticed horrendous fuel consumption but ever since my 1000 mile service the figures are coming back to what I'd expect. The power is far more progressive than my old classic which (as you'll all no doubt already know) used to give that now fabled huge surge as the turbo wound-up and lag drifted away. Got to agree with the torque issue, nil clutch judder and it's far easier to live with around town. The classic was a pig and my left calf muscle is now twice the size of my right.

Steering has obviously improved, much lighter and I have to admit to taking a couple of weeks to getting used to it as the classic was an all-involving drive - and I loved it. Would be interesting to drive my old car now!

The seats issue is one I've been trying to resolve from 2 days into owning the new car and my insurance company say it would affect any claims made under current insurance terms if anyone other than myself were ever to have an accident and suffer injury due to the SIPS system being replaced... with nothing. I argued that many racing seats were often an even better substitute than air-bagged versions but to no avail.

Just waiting for my universal mudflaps to be fitted in a couple of weeks (WRC Blue) and that's about it for me until I can find some near invisible seat supports!

Enjoy your PPP's fellas!

Don't even get me started on the noise! Proper tasty.

Old 15 July 2003, 01:41 PM
revitt
Scooby Regular

Cool

The real challenge would be getting my wife to agree to the "only £1600" bit. If you find a way of doing this, please let me know
I sold one of my bikes to pay for the PPP and 18" wheels on my STI, the money is sitting in the bank awaiting 1st service.

My Bike - My Money - My Drain
Old 15 July 2003, 02:03 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

it would affect any claims made under current insurance terms if anyone other than myself were ever to have an accident and suffer injury due to the SIPS system being replaced..
I keep banging on about this being important on EU imports without SIPS airbags, but people ignore me... Good to hear someone else has been told this too
Old 15 July 2003, 02:46 PM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

"The real challenge would be getting my wife to agree to the "only £1600" bit.If you find a way of doing this, please let me know"

Option A: don't tell her.
High risk option, which I'm taking - hence the Q re noise!

Option B: better fuel consumption.
Not v plausible, especially as showing her pages from Scoobynet in evidence may not be accepted

Option C: try the increased re-sale potential line.
mmmm - if PPP as good as people say, will you really sell it before you've taken the edge off with 100K!
Old 15 July 2003, 05:34 PM
whiteyisback
Scooby Regular

forget it...save another £300 and get a full decat hayward and scott stainless zorst, ITG panel filter and EcuTek3 remap........my friends PPP on his new wrx is really nice and yes u keep your waranty but it's not anywhere near as quick or low down and grunty as my new wrx...horses for courses i s'pose
Old 15 July 2003, 06:53 PM
Jeremy'sMum
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've heard that the ppp keeps half it's value. So really, it's only costing £800. If you keep the car for 3 years, this amounts to 73p a day. I could smoke 3 less ciggies to pay for it!!! An absolute bargain

chiark's point about "UK-Spec" EU imports occured to me as well. Different seats=different spec. Why are they allowed to say it's the same car? What else is different and how would we know?
Old 15 July 2003, 11:18 PM
McRash
Scooby Regular

The PPP is MUCH louder but I managed to get away with it by saying it was the de-swarfing effect in the 1st service!!

It is also much quicker, smoother and just better in every way except for mpg. I have found that I have lost 4-5 MPG thus down to 22 or so.

The noise brings with it many admiring glances but not from the neighbours - they tend to frown...
Old 16 July 2003, 09:40 AM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

uh-oh : last one from McRash makes me wonder if my option A (not tell wife) is going to work. Personally looking forward to improved exhaust note as 03 is noticably quieter than my Classic.
Doubt neighbours will notice compared to noise my kids make!

De-swarfing - now that's stretching it!
Old 16 July 2003, 10:28 AM
Andy Hamilton
Scooby Regular

Wink

When I had PPP fitted on my MY01 I told the wife I had just paid 300 quid for a Prodrive backbox, that was enough to explain the new tailpipe and extra noise
Old 16 July 2003, 10:32 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

If you keep the car for 3 years, this amounts to 73p a day. I could smoke 3 less ciggies to pay for it!!!
I don't smoke, but I'll not take it up therefore saving that money