Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on choosing Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2003, 11:54 PM
toreide
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a few questions regarding the "old" and the "new" impreza. I'm thinking of the 99'/00' vs 01'/02' models.

The newer one was critisized in the motoring press for not being as good as the outgoing model. Something about loosing its edge.

I'm after a car that is

- good to drive on the road and track, especially the Nurburgring
- no understeer
- adjustable on the throttle
- good feedback through the steering

I've also picked up that a model referred to as RB5 is a real masterpiece, and might be the right model for me.

1. Can someone please describe the most important handling difference between the two models?
2. If I buy a standard 99/00 impreza, can the parts for a RB5 upgrade be bought from Prodrive? Price?
3. Can the new model be tailored to RB5 performance with parts from Prodrive or similar? Price

As I live in norway I will not buy a uk model. An import from germany or a used norwegian one are my options. The new model seems to go for very reasonable prices compared to the former model.

Hope for many good replys.

Tor

Old 14 July 2003, 12:31 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

The newer one was critisized in the motoring press for not being as good as the outgoing model. Something about loosing its edge.
Subaru basically couldn't win. They answered the most common criticism of the older car (cheap looking, unrefined, noisy interior) with a better built, more refined, but consequently heavier car. Thus, indeed it didn't feel quite as "sporting" as the older one, although in practice, it is probably a more capable point to point car than the Classic.

I'm after a car that is
- good to drive on the road and track, especially the Nurburgring
If you want good track ability, you'll need to pay attention to the brakes.

- no understeer
So does everyone, but the holy grail (a perfectly balanced chassis that doesn't understeer and also isn't prone to instability is a rare beast indeed.

If you want "positive" handling, the DCCD (electronic centre diff) equipped STi's are the best option, as the transmission is inherently rear biased - and adjustable.
- adjustable on the throttle
They're all adjustable on the throttle to a certain extent. Lift-off oversteer isn't hard to induce. Again though, the DCCD equipped cars are better in this area, and you can also get hold of third party centre diff controllers that take throttle adjustability to another realm altogether...
[/quote] - good feedback through the steering [/quote]
All Imprezas have great steering feel.

I've also picked up that a model referred to as RB5 is a real masterpiece, and might be the right model for me.
Apart from being based on the STi version 5 bodyshell (which is a little stiffer thanks to its fixed rear seat), there's not a huge amount of difference between the RB5 and the base European spec Turbo 2000/GT's. They don't have the electronic centre diff, for example.

1. Can someone please describe the most important handling difference between the two models?
Which two models are you talking about? The classic and the New Age? If so, there's no fundamental handling difference. The most pronounced differences are found when comparing cars that have the viscous centre diff, and those with the DCCD.

2. If I buy a standard 99/00 impreza, can the parts for a RB5 upgrade be bought from Prodrive?
No, as the basis of the RB5 is a completely different bodyshell. Most of the other things that make the RB5 different are just paint and trim, although you can always buy the wheels and the PPP conversion.

3. Can the new model be tailored to RB5 performance with parts from Prodrive or similar?
What do you mean by "RB5 performance"? In bare paper terms, the New Age WRX already outperforms the base RB5, and the New Age WRX PPP outperforms the RB5 PPP. In dynamic terms, the Classics tend to "feel" a bit quicker, both due to different power delivery and the newer car's increase in refinement. In practice though, there's little to separate them.

If you read the board a little you'll see there's plenty of scope to modify both the newer cars and the older ones.

As I live in norway I will not buy a uk model.
If you want LHD, your options are going to be considerably limited, especially if you want a DCCD equipped car.

The new model seems to go for very reasonable prices compared to the former model.
The original New Age car (the bugeye) didn't sell too well, largely because the general consensus was that it was a bit ugly. The updated 2003 model cars look quite a bit tidier, and seem to be selling better as a result.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 7/14/2003 12:35:04 AM]
Old 14 July 2003, 01:05 AM
monstermunch
Scooby Regular

I bought a brand new 2000 classic Turbo a few years back, bought it in preference to the ugly bug eyed 01/02 because it looks more aggressive and seemed to give me a kick in the kidneys where the bug eyed did'nt.

Very pleased with the 2000 Turbo but 2 years later I decided I'd take another bug eyed for a test drive this one had prodrive performance kit and quick shift with 15k on the clock.

Now I drive an 02 bug eyed with PPP - feels more responsive, 0 - 60 times are much better (but thats probably coz it has ppp), less body roll and handling is superb, very pleased with it and i'll say this with my hand on my heart, prefer it to the old turbo. Best of all the bug eyes are dropping in price, pick one up cheap and spend an additional 3k on mods and you've got yourself a bargin beasti.

suggested mods

Prodrive performance kit
Prodrive springs
Quick shift
Morette headlight conversion
High rear spoiler
Boost guage
A better gearnob & aluminium gear frame

hope that helps

MM

Old 14 July 2003, 01:15 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Also have a look at sidc/faq
Old 14 July 2003, 07:22 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

grease monkey:
and the New Age WRX PPP outperforms the RB5 PPP
can i just say that on a recent r/r @ power engineering, my non PPP RB5 output 255bhp & 246lb/ft torque where 2 new age wrx PPP both out put exact same figures of 250bhp & 239lb/ft torque.

only mods i have is hks d/p and super dragger system & cone filter.

we all found this strange due to prodrives stated figures!!!

also the RB5 has a solid rear bulkhead, its not just a solid backseat.

guy from norway: u said u dont want a UK car, unfortunately the RB5 is just that, click on RB5 site for much more info on the RB5.

hope u end u getting wot u want tho.

if i had the money I would buy a STI 03 and keep the RB5 just for the weekends
Old 14 July 2003, 11:46 PM
toreide
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the replies so far!

The needles are so far pointing towards a bugeye 01' model + appropriate mods to suspension and engine. Warranty issues are non-existent as it will be a used car, most likely imported from germany.

I read a small piece in EVO of the new 03' WRX fitted with PPP. Supposed to be very very good. Is it possible to make a 01' even better whithin a reasonable budget ( 3500£)?

Regarding the steering. How many turns is it lock-to-lock? Is there a quick STi rack available for fitment to a WRX?

Cars are very expensive in Norway. A new WRX costs from 36500£ and upwards. As a comparison I found one in germany, a WRX 01' with only 1600 km, that would cost me 25800£ incl. tax.

Tor