Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice: has my PPP installation been messed up?

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2003, 10:02 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi scoobnetters,

just had PPP on a MY01 installed on tuesday and to my horror this evening I was filling up with windscreen wash when i noticed 3 hoses dangling and three ominous looking pipes with no hose attached on the intercooler.

The big question is; how much damage has been done to my car. They were bloody hot when I first noticed them. I have only done 100 miles or so since fitting at a subaru dealer (that I won't mention right now). As a temporary measure, I have just slid them back on but there is no sign of jubilee clips or the like.

HELP!

standing at the front, on the right hand side of the intercooler. the hose was just tucked in behind.

I noticed these first. Hoses all over the place.

cheers for any help,
rd
Old 02 July 2003, 10:54 PM
raven4640
Scooby Newbie

Red face

i had a ppp on my 02 wrx and had 1 fitted 2 my 03 sti 8 2 weeks ago, no pipes were left off, put them back on with clips, cant b sure but 2 me they look like water pipes, to b safe check yr water level, tomorrow drag the dealer over the coals and try 2 get some compensation use yr photo,s as evidence and slip in trading standards, hope this help,s a bit
Old 02 July 2003, 11:14 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they are breather hoses, can't be sure as I am far more familiar with the 99/00 engine bay, but I think so. Unlikely any damage except to the butterflies in the Amazon but best drawn to dealer's attention and sorted.
Old 02 July 2003, 11:23 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

just checked the coolant levels - they are fine.

They could well be breather hoses - there was no sign of spillage although you can see a small droplet of brown liquid on one of the pipe ends.

I'd be grateful if someone can have a wee look under their bonnet (PPP) and see if you have clips on those hoses or are they just pushed on.

can sleep now I think. PPP is rather fun on the car. no point getting arsey with the garage, its just a daft mistake but a shame that quality control procedures let it happen and I hope the rest is bolted on correctly...

rd
Old 02 July 2003, 11:24 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
pushed on on mine!!
Old 03 July 2003, 01:05 AM
JonnyStell@
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

that dont look right at all, i have ppp on my MY01 WRX and everything is all nice and bonney.
If you cant connect the hoses back up yourself then take it back. Like you say just a silly mistake on their behalf....
Old 03 July 2003, 08:30 AM
nellie
Scooby Regular

they are breather hoses,iv got a PPPd STI7 and they are only pushed on(just changed all mine for Samco)looks like they had to take the IC off to change the downpipe,iv read threads about a bolt being a right pig sometimes,shouldnt have done any damage though,just make the point to yuor dealer though.
Old 03 July 2003, 09:56 AM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

hi,

sorry to go off at a tangent but are there any significant advantages for a PPP on MY01 ? I'm considering this option but may instead get something else via 3rd party tuner in the way of an ECU remap and full de-cat exhaust.

Are the difference in a pre-PPP and post-PPP car that noticeable ? Having had my standard MY01 for 3 weeks I'm finding it lacking in power !!

Thanks, Jai
Old 03 July 2003, 10:45 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

from all i have heard its like chalk n cheese. 275bhp to 305 bhp, better throttle response, quicker spool up, pulls like an express train to the redline, better torque across the whole rev band.

is it worth 2 grand. i dunno you will have to ask someone who has it.

cheers

big sinky
Old 03 July 2003, 11:34 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

I think the question is about an ordinary WRX, BigSinky??

The broad picture is, that you can get as good performance mods for cheaper than PPP at the cost of voiding your (remaining) Warranty..... and that's what you have to consider when weighing up the £2k. For me, and many others, it's been good value on MY 02 & 03 STis

Phil
Old 03 July 2003, 12:46 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Isn't the PPP for the WRX £1600 all in, not £2000? I'd agree that it looks like when they fitted the intercooler hose they forgot to put the breathers back on.... not very good IMHO. Which dealer is this?

Nellie..... not sure your right about this being done when changing the downpipe. Isn't it just a backbox, be very surprised if they removed the CAT on a PPP WRX????

Tony.
Old 03 July 2003, 02:58 PM
nellie
Scooby Regular

Sorry tone,not sure about the WRX PPP,on the STIs they fit a sports cat d/pipe and there have been a couple of threads about the IC having to come off,sorry about the confusion.
Old 03 July 2003, 03:56 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs down

very shoddy workmanship, your turbo to intercooler hose isnt on properly either and is covered in grubby oil finger prints. I would go balistic if they returned my car in that state.
Old 03 July 2003, 07:06 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

Red face

whats wrong with the turbo to intercooler pipe?

do you think it will last a long journey (that I'm about to do (or maybe not))

It is a bit mucky coming to think about it. I spoke to the dealer and emailled the photos above to them. they assured me that it was just a wee mistake and not to worry about it. This is not a small pokey dealership at all.

rd
Old 03 July 2003, 07:49 PM
Pro Boy
Scooby Regular

Ask for your next three years servicing free for poor workmanship or send the photos to im

Hope i dont use that dealer, what county they in?
Old 03 July 2003, 08:40 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

the hose clip is on crooked so could come loose and the pipe isnt up against the stop, god knows what that white gunge is under the pipe that is exposed.

A wee error, they should fire the mechanic for sending a car out with pipes unconnected. You wouldnt be saying it was a wee error if the oil vapour/doplets coming out of those pipes caused a fire from burning on your turbo.

Thats just the things you can see, if thats the level of workmanship then who knows what's been left undone you cant see. I would insist on the car being looked over properly, they should be grovelling after seeing those pictures.

I cant beleive you are so calm about spending £2K or whatever it was and getting that in return.
Old 03 July 2003, 08:44 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

thanks for the comments john - it is my naivety. I will get onto them tomorrow. I've just looked at the pictures and I can see the hose clip is terribly fitted (didn't notice before). I wonder whether the clip is even been tightened up.

I'll name and shame once I've heard their say on the matter. 1600 quid is not a small amount of money given that I went to Subaru for "peace of mind".

rd
Old 03 July 2003, 08:46 PM
korky
Scooby Regular

.....and they've left a load of big red arrows under your bonnet!

But seriously - take it back and politely ask to see the servicing manager.

Korky
Old 03 July 2003, 08:53 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

pleasure. Workmanship like that really anoys me, there is no excuse for it, it takes a few minutes more to do a job properly. The mechanic who did that has no pride in his/her work.
Old 04 July 2003, 01:42 AM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Boost hoses really have to be done up properly otherwise they are liable to come off under pressure. That can result in disaster - at full boost when you probably need power most you can suddenly find yourself with almost none .

Imagine overtaking on a B-road and that happened. Sudden power loss can be almost as dangerous as losing the brakes.
Old 05 July 2003, 04:20 PM
smellyvag
Scooby Regular

Wierdest thing was after reading this thread, i checked mine and exactly the same pipes were left off after the PPP was fitted. I have put them back on now. Damn mechanics or technicians, whatever they call themselves................
Old 05 July 2003, 07:52 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

And they continue to call themselves that whilst folk accept it!!

As John said or implied, it's a disgrace.

They need whipping for that.
Old 05 July 2003, 08:00 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Red face

I'm a forgiving type of bloke, but JF is totally correct.
That is utterly unprofessional, shoddy workmanship.