Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopped by the cops

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2003, 11:39 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds to me like they were just being friendly....
What you could have got is an instant fine for using a vehicle on a road with illegal number plates.

I'd think my self lucky and be grateful that they were more interested in the car than increasing their ticket quota for the day!!!

Edited to say, I got pulled for my Fancyplates front plate too....

28cm x 6cm........ just got told to change it! Not bad eh?

[Edited by talizman - 7/1/2003 11:40:29 AM]
Old 07 February 2003, 07:16 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Siwrx- Why don't you just shut your childish mouth?

If you can't talk sensibly without resorting to abuse then you aren't worth a response.

Again you have changed the goalposts and appear to be back-tracking.

The original post was about space available on an Impreza for a full size plate, there is enough space, full stop.

Siwrx saidlmao at u trying to worry me by mailing me, im in awe of your profile clicking skills there spoon lol... Though before you mailed me i didnt know who you are, now i have a nice traceable ip....

Read the mail properly and rofl at traceable, that's big and bold of you.

Siwrx say's Ill happily say here infront of everyone, prove to me that the dvla ruling is not for cars without standard sized recesses and that it doesnt allow bike lettering and ill admit im a ****.

It's there in black and white and you've proved already you are a 4 asterix.

Siwrx say's Or are you going to send me more scary emails to show just how mature you are. I mean ffs u give it all the mouth when i correct you on your mistake, but when i give u some mouth back u try and intimidate me lol. Its like being in primary school.

You found this scary?

Spoon say's,

Watts,

Who are you to be thinking you're a tough boy?

I'd be very interested.

It's plain you are talking out of your arsé so you resort to profanities towards somebody you know nothing about.

How silly indeed.

Who used the mouth?? You are laughable, but bless you for trying.

The board needn't be wasted with this tosh so if you have anymore to say e-mail me at work.

Run along now, your class is expecting you.

[Edited by Spoon - 7/2/2003 7:17:58 PM]
Old 01 July 2003, 09:09 AM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well after owning my subaru for 6-7 months, i finally got stopped by them! Looking round the car they noticed 2 things which they didnt like:

First was my number plate. I got front and rear number plates from fancy plates. Nothing special. Think they are both in font 2 so looks like standard. Only difference is it has silver lining and boards. however, they didnt like the rear one as apparently it was incorrectly spaced - cant see how? Looked the same as everyone else but no they didnt like it. Didnt like my front plate cause it was smaller (i have an import so went for the real small look). They said it was illegal. Told them DVLA said its ok for imports to have small plates but they said that was rubbish

The second point was my exhaust. Said it was to loud and was over the limit. Well it should be - scoobysport dp and Blitz Nur Spec R! lol.

They were very good about it and just put it down to a verbal warning.

Apparently i have to change my plates back to the normal size and also have to put my exhaust back.

They liked the scoob though. He started trying to tell me about the fuel mixtures etc. When i started talking about ecus etc, i think he realised i knew a bit more than him

I was thinking about putting the bung back in so its quieter but then i will miss all the noise
Old 01 July 2003, 09:19 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Red face

If you weren't given a producer etc, I'd be inclined to do Nowt!
Sounds like the local dibble having a slow day.
Alcazar
Old 01 July 2003, 09:23 AM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Yeah no producer which was good. They drove past me and then turned round and made me pull over.

I think i may sort out the front number plate as maybe its a bit to small. Thats the only reason they turned round.

Ive had cops behind me before and they havent said anything.

I asked them whats the worst could happen - £80 fine for the exhaust being to loud.

He opened the bonnet and had a look though.

And then the other one was checking my discs and pads and tried to tell me how much discs and pads were. lol
Old 01 July 2003, 10:54 AM
Krade
Scooby Regular

lol Money surprised it's you who got stopped 1st the way the rest of us drive
Where abouts was it?
Old 01 July 2003, 10:59 AM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

The thing i wasnt even speeding! Ive had cops behind me with my Blitz and they have just looked and some have pointed but never stopped me.

This time i was sitting in traffic and cops were coming the other way and saw the plate. So they stopped me and checked the whole car.

It was in Teddington.

I do like my front plate being small but if im going to get stopped all the time then i cant be arsed! lol. Was reading up on dvla and it said only certain imports can have the small number plate. This is only based on if the room on the front is smaller than the actual plate.

I think my plate was 300x80 so i guess its a bit small. Im sure other scoobies had this size.

Old 01 July 2003, 11:03 AM
yoza
BANNED

Why do they always pull you up, and after they have said their piece or done you for something, they try and be your best mate!

Really pi55es me off, nice car mate, Searge down the knick has got one, what have you had out of it, what do you pay for your insurance?.....[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 01 July 2003, 11:06 AM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

You got it Yoza!

They started asking me:

How much do you pay for ins
What bhp is it pushing
Do i go on trackdays

Blah blah!
lmao
Old 01 July 2003, 11:41 AM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

But Talizman - i think they were going to try and give me a fine. As soon as i said that according to the DVLA i could get this plate, then they stopped and started to try and find other things wrong with the car
Old 01 July 2003, 12:22 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

hmmmmm,

Were they traffic cops?

If they were then I'd bet my wages that know exactly what size a plate can and cannot be, and they chose not to do you.

If they were regular cops, then possibly, they might not have been "up" on their road traffic law, and been unsure of the legal "minimum" plate size.

I genuinely think they sound as if they were just being decent about it.
Old 01 July 2003, 12:29 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

They were in a normal estate police vehicle (basically like the motorway ones) but said they were traffic cops.

They did say they have never heard of a small plate on imports even though i said DVLA said it. I just checked the website and you can have a small plate on imports but only if there is a place not big enough to put the standard plate.

I dont think they were to clued up with the new law. If they were traffic cops they would have knows definitely i was over the db limit. But when i asked what the limit was, they said its not so much the db limit, its the emissions and i could only find this out at the MOT.

The other guy then said to go to a track day and they will tell you the db limit there.

Old 01 July 2003, 12:30 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

Money - well, I'm not surprised, you're one dodgy lookin' character!
Old 01 July 2003, 12:35 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Lmao.
Old 01 July 2003, 12:47 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

What you'll probably find, is that most cops are unaware that you can legally have a smaller than standard number plate, but only if your vehicles has a recess or similar which requires the plate to be undersized. The reason is probably because of the import boom in the last 5 years or so, and this wasn't previously an issue.

The resitrictions are on letter width, spacings, height etc, so as long as you conform to these, you can make the actual plate as small as you like. (ie, trim it) Unless.... as stated about the imports.

Sounds like they were trying to talk a good game, when they don't actually know much about the topic (trackdays etc)

I believe that certain forces have dB meters that they can measure your exhaust on, and fine you if too loud.

As for emissions, they are an MOT requirement, not a legal one!

Cheers

Talizman
Old 01 July 2003, 12:58 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Yeah very true talizman.

The thing is, cops have their own rules and most of the times there is nothing you can do.

I got caught driving in the bus lane before (i was actually in their to turn left but the motorcycle cop didnt care). He gave me 3 points and £60 fine. When i went to the station, the sergeant said i should have only got the fine and NOT the points.

He still put it on my license and basically said tough!

Thats why even though i have printed loads of info off DVLA and another site, if i show this to a cop, he will think im getting cocky and i will get fined anyway (or they will try and put something on me).

Sometimes you just cant win. lol
Old 01 July 2003, 01:04 PM
Nick_TypeUK
Scooby Regular

Typical cops, using bully boy tactics.

Heres the law regarding number plates, not they cant apply the Sept 2001 law to older cars

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regmarks/reg_marks_current_requirements.htm#mandatorycharac terfont

As for the noise coming from your car, how did he ascertain how loud your car was? calibrated ear drum no doubt.

There is a specific max noise for a car and i think the current reg is based on traveling past at a set speed whilst being monitered at a set distance.
Old 01 July 2003, 01:05 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Driving in a bus lane is a "non-endorsable" offence, and cannot be interpreted otherwise.

It isn't the cop who gives you points, its a court thing.

The cop alleges that you have committed an offence and if found guilty, or if you decide to accept a conditional offer, you will get endorsed by the conviciting court. Your situation is very strange indeed.

Was the motorcycle cop on his own?

If so, where is his corroboration?

Did you pay the fine, and take the points?

I'd have had my day in court.
Old 01 July 2003, 01:10 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Yep this was a while ago (probably about 3 years or maybe 4 so its off now). But anyway, the motorcycle cop was on his own and said you have 3 points and a fine. i was younger then and dint want to cause any trouble so just took it! Shouldnt have though.

Yeah the cop there this morning just stood at my car and said its loud - you can tell compared to other cars. To be fair you can tell it is a lot louder than other cars but he was more focused on the number plate. When i started telling him about the dvla, he then switched to the exhaust idea. Maybe he did this so he didnt look stupid about the plate?!
Old 01 July 2003, 01:41 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Money, I meant to ask....

Using the DVLA/Imports with small plates argument......

What reasons did you have for having them on the Scooby, its not exactly short of mounting space up front is it? lol

Just a thought!
Old 01 July 2003, 01:44 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

lol. basically i wanted a smaller number plate. I think the standard looks to big so thought might as well change it.

Would look good with a FMIC behind though! lol

I will change it, just make it a bit smaller than the standard one
Old 01 July 2003, 01:55 PM
BL
Scooby Regular

Money

If they said you exhaust was over the limit, what are they gonna say to mine

Oh man.........

Old 01 July 2003, 01:57 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

If they said you exhaust was over the limit, what are they gonna say to mine
They will say - "We stopped another impreza the other day and it was louder and better than yours"

lol
Old 01 July 2003, 04:10 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

No, thats not what I meant Money.

I meant, what reasons did you give the police for wanting a small front number plate. If you used the DVLA/import rule, then that doesn't really hold water with the Scoob, cos there is plenty room for a full size plate, see what I mean?

Were you honest about it and did you tell them that it was for aesthetic reasons, or did you say it was allowed a smaller plate due to being an import?

Cheers

Talizman
Old 01 July 2003, 04:21 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Lol with you now mate.

I said i read on the DVLA site that as it was an import, you was allowed to have a smaller number plate but only at the front. I said it was a new rule passed Jan 03 i think.

They just said no it was rubbish. no imports can go smaller and thats what the company who supplied who the plates said so they can sell it to you.

Old 01 July 2003, 04:47 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

You could do what I do, and carry a regulation plate in the boot.
When you get pulled, just say you are just back from a track day.... small plate fitted to maximise air-flow!!!

Haven't tried it yet mind you!
Old 01 July 2003, 04:52 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Yeah done that. Had my old plates in the back. So they got them out and then started to show me how much difference it is and i should put it on.

Probably could get away with it though.

Only problem is i will be stopped, then the police wont want me to get away and for them to look stupid and they will look round the rest of the car. Then notice how loud the exhaust is!

Like ive said, cops behind me and they havent done anything about my exhaust. However, just cause this cop didnt know about what the DVLA says about small number plates, he looked else where on the car.

He started trying to tell me about ecu! lol. Im no expert on ecus and only picked up a few things but can you imagine if he stopped Andy F/David Wallis/ Bob Rawle/ John Banks/ Pavlo etc. They would have made the cop cry with their knowledge. lol
Old 01 July 2003, 05:23 PM
Boss Hogg
Scooby Regular

it's horses for courses with coppers - to be fair I got pulled over on my bike (7X7r, not raleigh grifter)a number of times, including being a little 'late' in going through a red light then undetaking a car down the A13, and doing over 100 on the M11, and each time they've just said 'be careful' and let me off.....never got a look in my scoob either....I must just have one of those faces....
Old 01 July 2003, 06:07 PM
siwrx
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt stress it m8, i got a six inch front plate and have waved the dvla leaflet in many a coppers face lol.

As for the noise, its covered by the noise pollution act and iirc is only after 11 pm in most areas. Plus theyd need to get a council noise team down to prosecute you

SO id give them the birdy
Old 01 July 2003, 06:35 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

So you got a six incher then?

Whos a big boy?

Quick Reply: Stopped by the cops