Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How safe are we in scoob????

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2003, 12:32 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My boyfriend often says that the scoobies are one of the worst to crash.Is that true?He says you will be totalled in one of them easy if you have a crash.Do you think so?What are the H&S aspects of scooby design being a very fast car?Check out "Scooby driver dies in an accident" on scoobynet General.All the people in VW Passat ended up with minor injuries but scooby driver is dead.As well as,Passanger of scooby is critical with fatal injuries.
So,please,tell me how safe r v in scoobies if any1 knows?
Old 24 June 2003, 08:08 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
scooby accidents tend to be at higher speeds, so what do you expect.

Any car that allows you to walk away from a 90mph barrell roll is probably not bad on the safety side

Paul
Old 24 June 2003, 08:41 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

There's been some quite nasty scoob accidents posted up on here at very high speeds where the owners have walked away fine. As said, i think its just more likely to be a high-speed crash, so the potential for injury is always gonna be increased.

Andy
Old 24 June 2003, 08:43 AM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

But shouldn't the people in the passat have come off equally bad?
Old 24 June 2003, 08:49 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Who's to say the scoob occupants were wearing seatbelts. It's also quite plausible for the scoob to be an old jap import (no airbags etc) and for the passat to have been brandnew. Who knows.

Andy
Old 24 June 2003, 08:58 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
and does your boyfriend own or drive a scoob before being the world authourity on such things?
My husband had a very bad crash at a relatively low speed (50 in a 70 limit on black ice. Luckily he walked out of it in one piece with just a few bruises. The car was only 2 years old - the only panel undamaged was his door however the cabin did stay intact - what does that say for safety then??
Old 24 June 2003, 09:01 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

100% safe compared to holding a loaded gun to your head

get real, you are ALL GOING TO DIE - choose to sit at home wrapped in cotton wool until you rot, or get one with your life, make the most of your 70 years...
Old 24 June 2003, 09:09 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As scoob_babe says - I walked away albeit needing a neck brace for a couple of days.

judge for yourself how the scoob held up

I sincerely believe that if I had been in a different make of car I would not be here today. To prove the point, the car that went of before me was a ford puma, the driver had to be cut out and spent several weeks in hospital. Behind me there was a van, a merc another scoob and a couple of other cars that also went off. Fair enough, I was the only one that hit the fire engine but it is something I don't care to experience again!

Rich
Old 24 June 2003, 10:29 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

I would say scoobs were extremly safe, over the last year I have seen nasty accidents (one in person) and others on here and the drivers have walked away fine.

Just search about on here and you will see high speed smashes in scoobs where the drive has got out with a few scratches and then taking pictures of their wrecked car... pretty safe if you ask me!

As for the passat business....... how do you know the people in the scoob died from the initial impact of the Passat... the scoob might well have glanced off the Passat and hit something much bigger and solid !
Old 24 June 2003, 10:50 AM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

Pants why do you think Volvo and Saab are both using the new safety platform from the STI8, apparently it has one the award for safest car or somthing, i think it was in mays autocar, I'll try digging it out
Old 24 June 2003, 10:53 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

You can be lucky or unlucky in a crash situation. I've seen a truck wheel come off, cross the motorway and go straight through someone's windscreen killing them instantly. All the airbags and pre-tensioning seatbelts in the world wouldn't have saved him.
Old 24 June 2003, 11:05 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

I can talk from experience on this one. I have written of a scoob in a head on collision. The impact caused the bonnet and engine to be crushed to half their former size. The cabin was still intact and the footwell, where you would expect the engine to be after a head on, was also intact. I walked away with no more that a sore neck. Thankyou Scoob
Old 24 June 2003, 11:18 AM
JonnyStell@
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I was in a bad accident in my late MY00 classic also, and I have to say how amazed i was at the way the car soaked up all the impact.
I felt totally safe in the car as I hit another car which pulled out in front of me, I ploughed into other car with ankers on, hit it then demolished a wall with back end and spun hitting car again.
Never felt an experience like it, but all the time it was happening (which felt timeless and motionless) I felt very secure. Sat tight in seat with 2 hands on the wheel, air bags went off in an instant. Car came to a stop and I jumped out with just a bruised knee and a sore neck for a couple of days.
Obviously would never like to experience that again but the scoob did what it was supposed to do in that situation.
Old 24 June 2003, 11:42 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

The MY01 model onwards gets 4 stars in the Euro N cap crash tests with good comments about shell structure after a major impact.

Says it all really.

Zippy
Old 24 June 2003, 11:56 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

There's no denying the benefits etc. of crash testing. It's very important.

However, please all remember that the manufacturers design to a specification. In other words, they are designed to work as well as possible for the ncap standard crash!!!

You'll be OK if you have an ncap standard crash... (eg. don't argue with spikey farm equipment...)
Old 24 June 2003, 12:05 PM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

MY02's have a rating of three stars in the nCap tests so my dealer told me yesterday - dunno about classics.

Mak.
Old 24 June 2003, 12:13 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

only 2 wasnt it as i recall from a thread the other day
Si
Old 24 June 2003, 01:05 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

Wasn't in the papers the other day where they had the results of all the car test. My friend was saying that the Impreza was somewhere near the bottom?
Old 24 June 2003, 01:07 PM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

The 03 new shape impreza is a 4* for front impact on the drivers side and a 5* for the passanger.

For side impact it is a 4 star, due to the side impact bars and side airbags.

Old 24 June 2003, 01:10 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

why worry about things you cannot change.

no goes out looking to crash to make sure that they will survive.

if you crash in any car, you are lucky to walk away, doesnt matter if your in a scooby, mercedes or a 2 tonne lorry.

We could spend our entire lives worrying about what ifs.

Old 24 June 2003, 01:49 PM
The_Lizard
Scooby Regular

Not long ago I was harrassing Sport-Utility Vehicle advocates on one of their message boards. For them, "safety" means _their_ safety at the expense of yours. Their general attitude is, if you want to drive in something smaller than a truck, that's your problem. As one said repeatedly, BIGGER IS BETTER - NO EXCEPTIONS!

Very well, then, I posted these links to crash test results. First, the Legacy body equivalent to the 98 Outback I drive:

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/95004.htm

Then the Ford F-150 pickup truck:
http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0110.htm

The SUV lovers had no response.

Old 24 June 2003, 02:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The floor pan and big box members of the Scoob chassis are very strong indeed. The bodywork may seem to feel light but there is excellent overall protection as has been shown often enough by some of the bad accidents related in this forum.

Les
Old 24 June 2003, 03:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 NHTSA Tests for frontal crash had 4 out of 5 stars for driver and passenger. Tests on earlier models without airbags had 2 stars I believe.

Before buying the Impreza I compared the crash data for a classic with the Focus I had just totalled at significant speed and walked out of without injury. There was a slightly higher head injury risk, overall it had the same 4 out of 5 star rating, although these were not Euro NCAP tests, the tests were similar.
Old 24 June 2003, 03:17 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

went sideways, down into the kerb, ca. 4 to 6 rolls and ended up straight on the 4 wheels on the street in the right direction to go on....
Not a scratch, same for my wife who was on the passenger side....
Old 24 June 2003, 03:37 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
would appear that turbohot's boyfriend is not actually that clued up then
Old 24 June 2003, 03:57 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I've seen DocJock's car after the Dono incident, and if that wasn't proof of the *incredible* rigidity of the Impreza chassis, then I don't know what is.

It's weird to see an accident happen and think "OMG, that is NASTY", being scared ****less... and then seeing that car drive again after a few weeks.

I've seen quite a few crashed Imprezas now, and of course, there are no miracles, but I wouldn't worry too much. MY01-03 cars are even stronger. They can take a serious impact without being a write-off, but once beyond that point the crumple zones seem to work very well indeed. Subaru chassis engineers have done a proper job, no doubt in my mind about that.

Crashing is unhealthy, but TBH if I would know I'd have one, I'd rather be in my Impreza than in my Volvo T5.
Old 24 June 2003, 04:39 PM
The_Lizard
Scooby Regular

grumble grumble they certainly collect minor dents very easily, like from doors of other vehicles...
Old 24 June 2003, 05:14 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Cool

Lizard, yes they do. The joke used to be around here that the quality of the panels was comparable to KitKat paper

But... don't confuse panels with the actual chassis structure

[Edited by EvilBevel - 6/24/2003 5:15:22 PM]
Old 24 June 2003, 05:40 PM
V45DSM
Scooby Regular

Just as long as my scoob is as strong as my Cossie! I came off a country road sideways at 70+, front end dug in and flipped and wee bugger. I think I was even airbourne at one point! I did hurt my neck, but that was when I removed my seat belt while I was still upside down. Amused the piggies though - Who wouldn't come out because no other cars were involved and I wasn't blocking the road, but they still managed to burst in on me in casulty and issue a producer and a breath test, they even asked the nurse if I was heffed up on goof *****. Tossers.

[Edited by V45DSM - 6/24/2003 5:52:32 PM]
Old 24 June 2003, 11:30 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

For scoob_babe- May be you are right!He has never appreciated my scoob as much.Never mind!As long as you all put my mind to rest.I was a bit shaken after reading about that accident as well as,he has been saying so too.May be,he cares for me or may be God knows!