Sponsored by:

GRRR.. VW Golf drivers

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2003, 07:56 AM
scooby_jim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What it is with them!

Scenario 1. Long stretch of straight road, me behind the Golf, I decide to overtake and do so carefully and safe. Gave me the instant w@nker sign.. No drama so whats the problem.

Scenario 2. Stopped at a roundabout in the left hand lane to go straight on, no other cars queuing (spelling?), I have to stop. Golf driver comes right up inside, we are parallel on roundabout so I accelerate out past him. Again w@nker sign.. I am sure I was in the right lane see:

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/17.shtml#160

Look at the blue car on the bottom right of picture. This second incident makes my blood boil we trade hand gestures (as you do) and I slow down in annoyance, then sprint away (OK maybe I didn't have to do that). Get to a roundabout, see he is going straight through so I take a detour, go right round and get up a few car lengths behind him. Guess what, his eyes were then straight ahead, no looks back or hand gestures at this point.. Get to the next roundabout and stop following, guess he must have been starting to sweat at that time..

Point is I could have been some nutter with a crow-bar in my car, do people not think before the red-mist comes down? And WHAT the **** is it with Golf drivers, these are the only incidents I have had since i got my scoob 10 months ago!! The other thing is that these weren't GTis or R32s etc, just bog standard cars with respectible looking guys in them, not part of the baseball cap brigade!?!

Just my twopence and I am sure not all Golf drivers are like this

Jim

Ah feel better getting that off my chest...
Old 19 June 2003, 08:30 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Talking

hmm intersting one that, could be just the general decline in the stndards of driving and people becoming so much more aggresive.
Saying that just got cut up myself (well girfriend driving her bug eye sport)by a bloke in mid 30's driving a golf ! Most of the time I just put it down to car envy !

Richard
Old 19 June 2003, 09:18 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
like the man said i think its just the way it is , it just happened that they were driving golfs , happens all the time eh !!
Old 19 June 2003, 09:18 AM
Pilot Dan
Scooby Regular

Golfs are often driven by thirty something company car men who have finaly got to a grade which enables them to have 150+ bhp. Basically this is Mondeo or Vectra man with a little more to prove and p1ss poor driving skills. Beware !!

That said I have had two recent Golfs, a 1.8T and a V5, both were superb M-way cars, but were severely let down on roundabouts and corners. I bought both of them from Holland for about 14k each....

Luckily for me I experienced a mates bog statndard Impreza two years ago and havent looked back since !

D.
Old 19 June 2003, 09:27 AM
Pilot Dan
Scooby Regular

Oh also see the Alfa 155, a comparitivly 'cheap' company car which has 150 bhp and looks nice.

Thus also driven by tw8ts who insist on 'racing' or following you at around three foot off your rear bumper at high speeds on the motorway , then overtaking when you pull in, and then pulling infront of you and slowing down !

Then when you overtake they floor it, your speed increases to get passed, then when you have hes straight back on your rear again ! As experienced this morning on the M4.

Something about not believing a Jap car should beat an Italian 'sports car'. I recon I might have a sticker mad up for the rear of mine with 'Impreza = 250+ bhp' this might educate these guys. What do you think ?

D

Old 19 June 2003, 09:38 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

I agree with the comment that it's down to the gradual decline in driving standards rather than the cars the people drive.

So far my 'PITA' list has included Passats, People carriers and Honda civics.

One of the biggest 'attitude faults' around at the moment is that a growing number of people hate to be overtaken(esp by a car that sounds like an F15). Somehow they have the attitude that because you've gone past them it's an afront to their driving ability and humanity in general

More and more i'm seeing the drivers of ordinary cars try(being the operative word) and speed up or deliberatly block people from making good progress on the road.
Old 19 June 2003, 10:23 AM
apjames
Scooby Regular

Actually, I'd say percentage wise, there are far more poor scooby drivers than Golf drivers. On the other end of the scale, there are also probably more talented scooby drivers than talented Golf drivers.

And I'm intelligent enough to say that there are good and bad drivers in every car make, rather than calling ALL scooby drivers tw8ts like the marrow minded Pilot dan.

I drive a Golf, and do so very well, thanks very much. If I drove a scooby, and have done a good few times, I'd drive that just as well.

Trending Topics

Old 19 June 2003, 12:37 PM
Pilot Dan
Scooby Regular

i didnt call all Scooby drivers tw8ts, as thats what I drive, and I am certainly not narrow minded. Read it again.
Old 19 June 2003, 12:43 PM
apjames
Scooby Regular

Read mine again - I didn't say you were slagging off scooby drivers.

[Edited by apjames - 6/19/2003 12:52:33 PM]
Old 19 June 2003, 12:44 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Theres a Micra I used to pass everyday to work who drives a RIFLE straight 3 mile road at 45 then when I make to pass he sticks on his right indicator.. The first time he did this I wet my pants and weighed on the anchors after then following him for another could of hundred meters and him turnining it off I fly by EXTREEMLY annoyed [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I just hate people who tailgate me though 30 limits just because I press on through national limits
Old 19 June 2003, 12:48 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

i agree with the car jelousy thing but i get the oposite end off the scale my legacy looks a bit tired so when i go to overtake the better car lol in front of me they speed up to try and stop me thinking i have an old banger.

hasnt worked yet!!!
Old 19 June 2003, 12:58 PM
Badger Stuffer
Scooby Regular

Grrrrrrrrrr.....Subaru drivers.

You don't own the road. He was probably having a bad day or is just a generic tw@t so why ask if all Golf drivers are like this. No they aren't.

And no, I don't drive a Golf.

I am just sick of reading threads like: A Golf did this, A MR2 did that.

FFS just ignore the morons that behave this way. It's nothing to do with the car that they drive or the fact that they don't drive a Subaru. It's just because they are morons. Plain and simple.

Jason.

Old 19 June 2003, 01:39 PM
Gaz Jones
Scooby Regular

im a golf driver, i have two, yes sometimes i drive like a tw@t, but dont we all sometimes.

This isnt anything to do with driving a golf, its to do with the ***** that was driving.

I drive every day for my work, and the amount of times i could say, grrr volvo drivers, or grr ford drivers etc....
I just say, grrr tosser that cant drive....

anyway, have fun, and take care out there!!!!

its a dog eat dog world.

oh and leave the golf out of it, both of mine are getting upset.

gaz
Old 19 June 2003, 01:45 PM
scooby_jim
Scooby Regular

Angry

Oh FFS!

"Just my twopence and I am sure not all Golf drivers are like this"

I wasn't having a dig at Golf drivers per say, just wanted to let off steam.... And yes I agree that any driver in any car can be a tw@t (especially BMWs and except scoobs of course ). Errr must admit from the wording it reads like I was... sorry if I offended

Jim

[Edited by scooby_jim - 19/06/2003 13:53:04]
Old 19 June 2003, 02:23 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Question

Seen plenty of this before... Nowt to do with the car - just the driver... and the roads are full of loonies that really shouldn't have a licence..

I suppose the image of Scoobs doesn't really help... Whilst I totally agree that if someone wants to make swift progress then you should let them, some Scoob drivers near me (like motorcyclists) just pass you for the sake of it, and then slow up once they have done so.. its like they feel they have to make a statement about the speed and ability of their car..saad ! As if people don't know by now... they're like road bullies but don't really do the image of Scoobs many favours..

I could see why someone might think "what was the point in that ?" or "posing tw*t" etc.. but it doesn't really warrant a w*nker sign... I only reserve those for the sh1te drivers out there (a good few of them Scooby owners near me too) who perform stupid high speed maneouvers on blind bends/chevrons/pedestrian crossings etc...

I get the impression that a lot of people that drive Scoobs suddenly think that they're a great driver just because the hardware and power flatters their ability... its amazing how many Scoob drivers have accidentally hit some fictional ice/water coming off a roundabout, or just stuffed it for no apparent reason other than driving like a tit ! Still, what can we do...

Personally I'd just ignore some numpty that gets really up tight and feels the need to gesture at you..

Old 19 June 2003, 02:50 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lets put it this way , I OWN THE ROAD AND EVERYONE ELSE IS A **** !! now i'm sure everyone on here has felt like that at some point irrelevant of what they drive , personally i dont prejudice the make or model just ***** !!!