What fluid is leaking from my car?

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2003, 05:34 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hi there,

I've just got our car back from the garage, and it's been parked on the drive for the last hour. It's had a major service including brake flush and renewal.

The missis has just gone off to the shops, and I've noticed some fluid has leaked from somewhere in the engine bay area onto the drive

Hoe can I tell what this is? It doesn't seem like oil, as I've dabbed some with a kitchen towel and it's not slimy (and seems clear in colour). As a completely non-technical person, how do I tell what might be leaking, by colour, consistency, etc?

Obviously this is pretty worrying to a spod like me and the garage is now shut. It'll probably be something like windscreen washer I know, which will be embarrassing, but I really wanted to check to be sure.

Any help appreciated.
Joolz

Old 17 June 2003, 05:36 PM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

Taste it... it's probably plain water from your aircon system.
Old 17 June 2003, 05:38 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If there's much fluid call her on mobile now!! and ask her to check brake fluid level just in case
Old 17 June 2003, 05:42 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Probably not crucially important leak and if it's parked on incline it may well be overspill from any one of the fluids that have been replaced ,but i would deffo call mrs if there's a fair bit as a brake fluid leak is not beyond the realms of possibility,when it gets back(car not mrs ) check under bonnet and all may well be revealed...
Old 17 June 2003, 05:44 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I'll try to help

Petrol, smells like petrol and stinks if you have a leak in the engine bay so not likely

Oil, thick and oily so not likely

Coolant, same consistency as water so a possibility, check the cap is on tight and the level, it may be a case of the garage overfilling it and it blowing the excess out of the overflow which would exit near the rad. Keep an eye on the level and guage, do not remove the cap when just driven or hot as it will be pressurised. otherwise may be a loose/damaged hose that got disturbed during the service.

Coolant usually smells horrid and is coloured but may unlikely to see the colour if on the drive or such

Could be condensation running out of the aircon, this is normal, mine used to do this all the time.

Brake fluid is claer but thcker than water, more like 3in1 oil it smells vile. Check the clutch and brake resovoirs for level, again may be an overfil but unlikely. It will damage paintwork if left on it. Press the brake pedal and same with clutch to see if you can spot a leak in the engine bay. It is flammable so be careful

Hope this helps

Paul
Old 17 June 2003, 05:48 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Its most probably water from the air con... Nothing to worry about, its just condensation!
From memory I think it appears on the floor approx inline with the rear edge of the bonnet.

Oil, antifreeze, brake fluid and screen wash will have some colouration to the fluid and an oily texture, the condensation is just plain water.

Bob
Old 17 June 2003, 05:54 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Hi folks,

I've just checked the car as she's just got back from the shops. All the fluid levels seem OK, so I rang a mechanic friend to check (didn't realise I'd have any replies yet, but 5 is amazing!). He suggested because of where I can see the liquid dripping from it is indeed just condensation from the aircon. It has consistency of water and colour, but I didn't want to taste it, as you can expect!!! I've checked for 'overspill' and the only other possibility was screen wash, but they've made this all blue so it's definitely not that.

Thanks everyone for your very prompt replies!!! If only I got such fantastic service from the garage!!!

Cheers
Joolz
Old 17 June 2003, 06:00 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Comprehensive reply from Paul Agreed it's likely to be the a/c

Oil, antifreeze, brake fluid and screen wash will have some colouration to the fluid and an oily texture
Also tastes orrid
Old 17 June 2003, 06:15 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Anti freeze inthe coolant is actually quite swet in taste, but the meths that's also in some imparts a bitter taste.
Alcazar