Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the hell has happened to 2nd hand scoob prices???

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2003, 07:01 PM
T2000UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my 'classic' in February, 'W' plate, 36.500 miles, FSSH and I paid 12.5K!!

It was from a dealer tho, as I wanted the extra security that that (should) bring with it.
Old 16 June 2003, 07:08 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

My rule of thumb for used Scoobys is to take the last number of the model year and turn it into Thousands -

e.g. MY98 - £8000.00
MY00 - £10,000.00

Obviously this is going to be flexible depending on miles, condition and options, but its a good starting point.

laters

stu
Old 16 June 2003, 07:09 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Supply and demand, there are loads of scoobs around and only a limited number of people who would want a 4WD performance car with huge running costs (and the sort of image scoobs have these days).

You could pick up an S reg turbo a year and a half ago for around 9k, and without having looked at prices in-between times I'd guess 7.5k would be about right.
Old 16 June 2003, 07:09 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I guess the following factors come into it.
6 year old car 'may' be coming up to big bill time as it's probably most likely to go wrong. (This would be the same for any car though but a scoob costs a lot more than others to fix).
Lot's of cheaper hot hatches are now 'nearly' as quick, handle rather tidily, have reasonable fuel economy and costs less to insure. Overall a better financial decision.
Many people are consolidating and looking at finances more (I bet a lot of scoobs were bought at the height of the IT/Telco boom).

I'd say one of the biggest factors is image.
Scoobs WERE seen as a rally car for the road, you've 'made' it if you've got one, a drivers car etc. but now the image is of the gangster/boy racer/fastnfurious type(esp with bonnet scoops, spoilers etc.) and this will put a lot of people off. Sad to say (sort of) the scoobs time is on it's way out. I think Subaru have realised this hence the new BB11(or whatever it's called) which is a coupe/4 door with much more style and 'respectability' to the majority of the market. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not, only time will tell.

Anyway, all these factors will affect resale value as ultimately it's supply/demand thing that rules the day.

Try putting your car up at £10k, you never know someone may pay. If no interest then bring it down to market levels.
Old 16 June 2003, 07:11 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Best thing to do is to put it in the local paper or auto trader etc and not on here.

They have dropped like anything. Sold a 96 wrx 5 door before christmas with 32k FSH (uk one) and it went for £6000.

People are going for imports now as they have dropped like anything!

Hang in there mate.

Just think about the p1s, none of them used to go below 20k! Now i have seem some really nice ones for bloody 16k!!!

Its all gone madness.

Advertise in:

Top marques
Auto trader
Find it
Exchange and mart
local papers

Good luck
Old 16 June 2003, 07:13 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I looked into doing the same thing over the weekend - I reckoned my MY00 (complete with aircon, PPP, Prodrive 17" wheels) might just about fetch £10k. A P1 - hideously overpriced when new, of course - is still £20k. Is an extra 35bhp and uprated suspension really worth the loss of two doors and £10k? No.

Like you, I'll be hanging on to my car. When I get bored, I'll modify it. Bumpsteer mod goes on in two weeks' time

Andy.
Old 16 June 2003, 07:23 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Angry

What a load of complete cr@p about the rude boy, boy racer image! I'm sorry but i've seen post after post after post refering to Scoobs getting common and boy racery etc etc etc. If you actually look into the reasons for more scoobies being purchased, and a lot more on the road it comes down to the fact that net worth today is rising at silly rates. People can afford to pay a lot more out on luxuries. Subaru's have always been a low priced, affordable sports car. with the new model wrx's costing 18000 or there abouts the price of older scoobs such as 98/99 models can't be over 10grand - that would be stupid. Take for instance the recent Southend posers meet. Nearly every scoob there was driven by mature drivers!

FFS stop moaning about the profile of scoobies - if it bothers you that much sell the car and go buy a focus or something - it would be f in boring if everybody bought a car and left it as it was - oh look a standard blue car, oh and a standard red car, oh and a standard green car! Yeh right! The whole point of modding is individuality. I don't see people complaining about big spoilers on 200sxs, fairladies, Nismos.

This message is not aimed at the person two comments above. Just a general rant because I hate it when people buy something then moan about the fact that other people buy it too and change it a bit. All part of the fun - all part of the passion.

Old 16 June 2003, 07:40 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

The cars are getting cheaper but the running costs are not. I think that is the main reason + the cheaper compition has got a lot closer to the Impreza's performance, which was it's main selling point.
Old 16 June 2003, 07:42 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

btw - I don't have a scoob .

.....What a load of complete cr@p about the rude boy, boy racer image!.......
.....Take for instance the recent Southend posers meet. Nearly every scoob there was driven by mature drivers!....

Hmm, a scoob at a Southend meet! no boy-racers/rude boys there!

However, scoobs are (one of) the choice of 'kevs' and is what 'Kev' aspires to and now he can afford them. The image will suffer. The same with nearly ALL fast cars (that are affordable of course!) but some are more popular than others, the big spoilers etc. have always appealed to boy racers and the scoob does all this. Anyway, I don't think anyone will deny that the image is worse now than it was a few years ago.
Old 16 June 2003, 07:58 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You obviously weren't there then. NSX, Ferrari, Nismo, Mitsubishi, Type R, BMW, Mercedes AMG - yeh so I guess that they are all boy racer cars that would never dream of gracing the southend circuit!!

Reality check - Southend on a Saturday night is and has always been the largest and most famous regular cruise since the 70s. When people think cruising, the place they think of is southend. This is why all the major and decent car clubs regualarly meet in Southend. Therefore for someone to label it like you just have obviosly means you didn't think before you started tapping those keys.

Again It really bothers me that Scoobs are getting this label. Top Gear on Sunday proved that Subarus are a popular car, a lot are being sold simply because of the performance capabilities and the cult status the marque has taken on. The price is low too so it allows people with a passion for cars, and a small budget, to enjoy the sports car experience. I think that is a good thing!

Old 16 June 2003, 07:58 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Dracoro - any car can be seen as a boy racer. i used to think that scoobs have dropped so much that they are becoming more and more boyracish.

But if you look at different cars, its not the case. Fair enough a boy racer couldnt buy an evo 6 (most of them) but they can still pick up a evo 3 bloody cheap!

Also look at mr2s, skylines, GTIRs etc, they have all dropped price and are much more affordable these days.

As said above, its not just the purchasing of the car. Anyone can buy a scoob/skyline/evo etc. Its maintaining that can hurt the most! lol
Old 16 June 2003, 07:59 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

This is an interesting point. Perhaps they have had their day? Cars seem to go like that quite a bit and if you can time things right then you can do ok out of it. Some time back I bought a VR6 Golf ex-demo, kept it 2 years and sold it for what I paid for it but, as we all know, that only happens once in a lifetime.

I also think that many people who would have been interested are getting put off buying because of the image and reputation that the turbos are now getting. In the past most owners seemed to be more mature, sensible and fairly restrained. Recently I have had two turbos try to "race" me, both contained a selection of yoofs with baseball caps on the wrong way around who behaved like plonkers. In the past this just didn't happen and while most owners enjoyed the cars by and large they avoided this image and confrontational behaviour. Until the last few months my only encounters with other turbos had been cheerful waves.

As a knock on of the lower image it is inevitable that prices will drop and that more cars will be bought by drivers that we might consider less sensible. In turn there is the distinct possibility of an increase in insurance rates etc. until the bottom totally falls out of the market.

I remember this happening, maybe 12 years back, with XR2i Fiestas. They weren't bad cars and Ford had recently made them a bit more refined etc. I was offered one less than 6 months old for a price which I seem to recall was about £10K below the new value, they were very nearly paying me to take it away. The image had fallen off the bottom of the scale and the insurance had gone off the top.
Old 16 June 2003, 08:11 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

I have owned my Scooby for near on a month I guess. Some of you might remember my post in general as it sparked loads of rekindled emotion and a certain amount of laughter.(cbr600f-t).
B8llocks to you all who rant about the *lost* image of Scoobyness.
I bought my car because I lusted over one for ages, it was the real picture on the wall, got the mugs from prodrive at the NEC etc etc type affair. I didnt buy my Scooby to show off, i bought it because it is the (IMHO) ultimate drivers package FOR ME. if the Lax power boys want a piece of the action, as it was inevitable they would, then let them. if some of the SNetters want to mod, then again I say let them, if not PSLewis will enrol you merrily into SISI Im sure.
the average car will lose over 50% of its value in the first three years, nearly all do, I bought my MY99 v for 10k from a dealer, `bought right then
Im not fickle enough to change my car because someone else has got the same one, regardless of who else it is, I applaud them for having the same taste in cars as me, maybe im just too thick skinned but I bought my car for me, thats all that mattered, matters, and will matter in the future. Prices on a BBS will bear little resemblance to those in autotrader because we are (allegedly) enthusiasts and as most will know a little knowledge is dangerous
If anyone is particularly worried about residuals, buy a copy of southern autotrader, ladies and gentlemen, I give you *artificially high*. similar cars to mine are advertised for 2->3k more, and more importantly selling reasonably quickly. if you want further proof that the Impreza is holding quite good value then go to this clicky and see what price it gives you for a car advertised on the open market. my car should have cost 7.5k, couldnt (unfortunately) find any 99`s (with or without flake) for less than 9.5k,thats nearly 30% over the odds
as iconic cars become cheaper then people who aspire to them can afford them, be they desirably (in YOUR eyes) or not, its a fact of life, deal with it.
But, if you give up ownership of a car because of vanity, well, thats says a lot more about you than the person you are trying to be better than (again, IMHO).
If toes have been stepped on, Im sorry.
If a little dig has been administered, again Im sorry.
But let me enjoy my (wonderful) car for what it is, a stunning real world (semi) performance car that I love to bits, my next car will be a Scooby, and hopefully the one after. I am safely happy in the knowledge that my car is well looked after, serviced correctly and loved. good start.
there is no rant here, just hopefully another opinion on the (long drawn out) debate that seems to rear its ugly head every few days.

Andy...

If the market is flooded with late classics (not that ive seen BTW), then if you can afford to, hang on to it, your time will come.
For me, the worrying sector of the market would be either early JDM`s (only because of depreciation, not the car) or bugeyes (because the journo`s ripped its looks to shreds, again the car is a belter).
The worst of the bunch for slating the car is (ironically, and sadly) SNetters, the very people we`re supposed to be looking after, remember we were once a *community*.
Old 16 June 2003, 08:12 PM
john coffey
Scooby Regular

Been thinking of selling mine and getting a P1
Bit of friendly advice, do not pay attention to Scoobynet prices, advertise it for what you think it's worth on auto trader.
Have you tried http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/used_car/index.asp? to get a rough idea of what it's real value is?
This place is a conspiracy to keep the prices down
Old 16 June 2003, 08:26 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Hedgehog, sorry but your talking absolute Sh1te!!!

As a knock on of the lower image it is inevitable that prices will drop and that more cars will be bought by drivers that we might consider less sensible. In turn there is the distinct possibility of an increase in insurance rates etc. until the bottom totally falls out of the market.
Erm, doesnt the fact that they are only getting older have something to do with it????

I remember this happening, maybe 12 years back, with XR2i Fiestas. They weren't bad cars and Ford had recently made them a bit more refined etc. I was offered one less than 6 months old for a price which I seem to recall was about £10K below the new value, they were very nearly paying me to take it away. The image had fallen off the bottom of the scale and the insurance had gone off the top.
not sure that the fiesta xr2i ever attained that sought of value, even the (slightly better) RSt never really attained a high value.

out of interest, what IMPREZA do you drive...?
Andy
Old 16 June 2003, 08:40 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

I have to go eat now, miracle I can considering the impreza has had its day and ive lost all my residual value in the car.

I mean, who would own anything and then proceed to devalue it publicly, if im selling my house I wouldnt say, "Pah, three bed semis are worthless, wouldnt buy one if you paid me, any **** can afford one and the image is dead",

its like I asked above................
Old 16 June 2003, 11:15 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Part of the reason for classic prices dropping now is probably down to the new Impreza not being so fugly and being perceived to have wider appeal.

<flamesuit on>
The 00-02 WRX with silvery headlights wasn't a car I could look at and like the look of. A dealer told me that the 03 version hit the drawing board only three months after the fugly was launched.

Vindaloo.
Old 16 June 2003, 11:32 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Haven't read all the posts above however somebody asked if it really was worth changing up to a P1....

I went from a X reg PPP, 17s, suspension, geometry, full decat etc etc to a standard P1. Was it worth it? Oh yes and the rest - do it

Got £14k for the MY00 (as standard, 33k) against a £22k P1 (W reg 9k) a year ago. You may get a better price for your car when in traded in for a P1....
Old 17 June 2003, 12:05 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

I paid £15,000 for my MY00 with 20k miles on it last year, so how much would a dealer offer me against a P1?

Not much would be my guess.

Like others on here, I fear that I may never be able to "afford" to sell my car, due to the huge hit I would be taking.

She'll be run into the ground before I can consciously take a loss of such mammoth proportions I'm afraid.
Old 17 June 2003, 07:35 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Guys please remember the most important factor when buying a car is the condition. I am currently driving a loaner Imporeza Sport R reg and the coindition is horrific. It leaks water, smells, is covered in scratches and on close insepction has been involved in several accidents.

I'm sure other Imprezas have had a few dinks !

The one thing that does drive values down are people selling low to sell quick. If you want a quick sale you may then need to drop your price lower to gain interest and so on. With the running costs being so high and many of us , myself included, seeing our incomes dropping dramatically we can;t afford to run the damn things.

I still don't think the Scoob looses more of its value than any other car and is one of the lower depreciating cars is it not ?

AllanB
Old 17 June 2003, 08:34 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Why have prices dropped ?

1. The Classic shape LOOKS an old car now.
2. Its two generations behind the current model.
3. There are better alternatives than there used to be.
4. Running costs.

As an ex-owner (99MY) they still drive superbly, but many like me have moved elsewhere. Myself to Skoda.
Old 17 June 2003, 09:29 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

Perhaps they have had their day?
you are kidding right??!!!

How can they have had there day,when the weigh almost 200 kilos LESS than a 225TT?

No traction control,anti-slip or any other computer related aid.A relatively light weight rocket.

A true road warrior.

The Classic Scoob is now a light weight car compared to others being produced now.
Old 17 June 2003, 09:34 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Exclamation

Myself to Skoda.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Old 17 June 2003, 09:55 AM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

I am in the same camp as many others. MY00 UK Classic. Looked at selling after 3 years and realised that I will need to pay my finance company a few grand worth of debt. So instead I re-financed it for another 4 years, put the Prodrive suspension pack on it (plus a few other suspension tweaks from TSL) and now the car feels like new again and I am enjoying it thoroughly.

The question is however (and someone already asked it a bit earlier) how long (number of years and miles) the Scoobs last. I remember from a couple years ago that there were several owners with over 100k miles...

Another thought (or hope ) is that at some point the price will plateau and beyond a certtain age and mileage you'll still be able to get a few grand for it.
Old 17 June 2003, 10:15 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I think late classic owners will suffer more than most. Why pay over £10k for a car thats 2 generations old? Only an enthusiast will do it.

I paid £6500 for my MY93 WRX about 18 months ago, you can now get them for around £5000. But what would I get for my money now if I had £6500 to spend? Well I'd have my pick of high mileage MY95 UK models, or MY97 estates or MY94 WRX's so things haven't moved a huge amount.

My advice is not to sell to people on here as they'll give you a million and one reasons as to why it's too expensive.

Why not buy Autotrader on Thursday, find a few cars like yours and give them a ring on Monday, I bet they all sold at decent prices.

BTW, 98S price in Autotrader were £7,500 - £10,000, if I were you I'd advertise at £9000 and see what happens.
Old 17 June 2003, 10:19 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

Why pay over £10k for a car thats 2 generations old?
"only an enthusiast would do it"

correct!! and the answer to your question is...............they are lighter,and hence faster.Who cares about how many generations or models have passed,when the newer models weigh a numpty-trillion tonnes more?
Old 17 June 2003, 10:27 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

DBA, spot on, but enthusiasts are few and far between. If you're trying to sell your car quickly then you have little choice but to drop your price.

Quick Reply: What the hell has happened to 2nd hand scoob prices???