Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New security idea!

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2003, 09:43 AM
Da Booga
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, after reading the recent threads on car thefts etc. I had an idea pop into my head and AFAIK it's original. It would keep people safer and inform police quicker!

What would be the best way of looking into whether it'd be viable and how to produce it. I'm aware that I can't post details of it as then I wouldn't be able to get a patent for it. How would I go about seeing if car security companies are interested without giving my idea away?

Thanks,

Gareth
Old 14 June 2003, 01:22 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Theres that number thats on TV with the light bulb, inventors hot line, saw it agian last night during the GP coverage I think. Cant remember the number though 0800 something.
Old 14 June 2003, 01:51 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Whatever you do, don't ring that number !!

I sent an idea to them and they loved it, although something didn't seem right, too good to be true what they offered me for the idea and it's future etc etc...

I looked into the company a little deeper and it seems that they're under investigation for fraud in the USA.

You have been warned, I would advise you to approach the companies yourself, nothing for nothing as they say although I wish you lots of luck mate.

Skoosh - fellow inventor without the cash to see it through.
Old 14 June 2003, 04:53 PM
Da Booga
Scooby Regular

Thnkas for the heads up guys although I had heard dodgy things from those companies anyway.

I don't mind going direct to companies but how can I make sure they wouldn't just listen to my idea and dismiss it only to produce it 6 months later so I get nothing

Cheers,

Gareth

ps Mods, you may wanna move this to NSR as it doesn't really relate to Scoobs directly
Old 14 June 2003, 06:12 PM
AdrianFRST
Scooby Regular

Make a copy of the proposal you will be putting to the companies, along with the name and address of who you sent it to, then post it to yourself in a well sealed envelope with your signature accross the seal.

Also send any proposals to companies via registered post, so you have a record of when they received it.

The date of the postmark should be proof of the date you created the proposal.

If a company steals your idea you can then open the envelope and semi-prove that you sent them the idea. I say semi-prove, because the flaw in this method is there is nothing to say that what you sent them is identical to what you sent yourself, although I'd suspect that if the idea was similar enough it would be beyond reasonable doubt.
Old 14 June 2003, 08:08 PM
Rich Tee
Scooby Regular

draw up a non disclosure agreement with yourself and the companies that you approach, this will mean that the information that is discussed between yourself and the company cannot be passed on, make sure that you have a clause in it that the contents of the discussion cannot be taken further by the companies without your written permission. Get this signed by the companies before you disclose and real information. This will also be a sign that they are interested in talking about your idea. The companies that wont sign the NDA wont really be interested in talking to you. IMHO

R

Old 14 June 2003, 08:58 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Isn't one guy on here a designer - is it Ray_li?
Old 15 June 2003, 12:52 AM
Trick
Scooby Regular

patent it first?
Old 15 June 2003, 07:14 AM
killemonthecorners
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

get in touch with Dyson, they are always looking for new ideas to invest in and even if they are not willing to invest in your idea they are very helpful and will give you all the advice you need.

they helped my dad out a few years ago.