ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Buying Or Importing a STI 5 or 6 Type R

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2003, 09:24 PM
Jonnip
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys

can you tell me how much I would be looking to spend for one of the above models. I have been looking in the autotrader, and there are some really nice examples for about £12.5K. Is this what I can expect to pay?

Do any of you know of any good importers. I thought it would be cheaper to import directly but I have found from several importers that it will be more expensive, which I find strange. Some of these companies are charging huge abouts for SVA work. How much should I pay for this.

If anyone of you top people can help me out I would be very greatful Also if you can give me some pointers on what I should be looking out for when I go to see these cars, faults etc,,,

Would I be better asking the RAC or AA to come inspect the car, or whould they just lift the bonnet and start scratching thier heads

Thx Guys

Jon
Old 30 May 2003, 11:26 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

I just imported a 1 owner, Sonic Blue, STI5 TypeR with 30K miles on the clock.
It was a grade 4.5 which is pretty much showroom condition. I haven't found a mark on it. It was completly standard apart from a fujitsubo FGK 4.5" Power Getter pipe. (Amazing sound )

It cost me 13k on the road.

Insurance is a little high so don't forget about that bit in your budget, but at 23 I suppose I have to expect that.
Old 30 May 2003, 11:42 PM
Jonnip
Scooby Newbie

Question

Hi Gedi

Top stuff did you go through an importer or did you source it yourself, could you tell me which importer you used if so. How much are you paying for insurance, i too im 23 but I dont have any no claims since I have been driving my car insured under my father. The best quote I have had so far by the same means is £1300ish from Tesco.

Thanks again

Jon
Old 30 May 2003, 11:47 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

If your getting it a 1300ish then your either still under your fathers insurance or they gave you an incorrect quote.

As far as I know my postcode is supposidly pretty good for insurance puropses. I have full no claims bonus, no accidents, convictions or points (ain't I a good boy ) and the car is garaged. My quote is 1750 FC

My mate imported the car for me. We spent about 3 months bidding on the Jap auctions to try and get a mint car for small money. Eventually we found this one at a small auction where there were only a couple of bidders in total, so I got lucky.

His website is www.aisimports.co.uk

Have fun, if you need any more info, just ask. I've still got it all fresh in my head
Old 31 May 2003, 01:12 AM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Yep take it that price is being insured under your dads name.

I have a V5 Type R and got mine when I was also 23. I had 4 years NCD at the time (had been on company car for few years) and it cost me nearly £1400 if I remember correctly. Now a year or so on it has gone down to £1200 but would of been another £180 cheaper if I didn't opt for Protected NCD, this is with direct line.

Don't know if your interested but i'm selling my Type R as soon as it's had it's service next week so if you would like any info then drop me an e-mail
Old 31 May 2003, 09:45 AM
Jonnip
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

hi stiscooby

would be very interested, email me some details to

xiaolong.xiaoli@btinternet.com, and pics if possible

thx

Jon
Old 31 May 2003, 12:11 PM
NiteskyR
Scooby Regular

these are the costs ,for importing.

price of car , say 1,000,000 yen ( £5550 )this would be fob
that means they put it on a ship for you
shipping costs £500
import duty on all that @ 10 % £605
VAT @ 17.5% on all that again £1165
agent fees £50- 100
the car is then cleared , and can be drove away
then u can pay some one to do the SVA for you £600 roughtly
or do it your self , £100
ESVA test £180
MOT £30-40
registration + years tax £190
all this takes between 3 - 6 months. Countless phone calls , lots of paper work , that is basically it .

enjoy

enjoy
Old 31 May 2003, 12:26 PM
rshort2210
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

try this guy....Zoom4cars.Com......been importing jap stuff a few months...but tries to cherry pick some good stuff.....tell him wot ur after and he will do his best to locate .