Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Buying cheap Impreza turbo for trackdays - what costs?

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2003, 11:01 AM
chinnybloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

I am thinking of getting 4 people together and all paying 1000-1500 quid into a pot to buy a cheap (cheapest possible) Impreza turbo that we then use for 1 year of trackdays. We all have to accept loss if one of us writes it off.

At the end of the year we sell it and then buy something else for next year and if anyone wants out they get money back and someone else comes in. Other than trackday fees, how much do you think we'd need to run something like this for say 12 track days a year?

Cheers,
Chinnybloke
Old 30 May 2003, 11:22 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Why get a scooby, they are good, but you could a car better suited to a track day for that money. Loads of 7 type kit cars around for that money, you may even get a bike engined one for that. You can get raedy built new cars from £7500 - http://www.mkengineering.co.uk/
Old 30 May 2003, 11:27 AM
chinnybloke
Scooby Regular

We have thought about other cars but not considered anything like that. Even considered a really old Honda CRX or something just to see how we get on.

Cheers for that, I'll check out that site.

Old 30 May 2003, 12:24 PM
Student Phil
Scooby Regular

http://wscc.ggr.net/cgi-bin/BB/ikonboard.cgi?s=3e9d504040adffff

Something like a Westfield would be a huge amount cheaper to run for a year than a scoob.
Old 30 May 2003, 02:05 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

What costs, let's see. Fuel, Tyres, brakes, oils, that kinda thing. If you're going to push the car then you would ideally want to give it an oil change after every trackday, just to keep it nice.

I seem to recall someone working out that on average a trackday, all in, was about 500 - 800 quid, well, that's if you wanted to make sure the car was still in a good condition for the next day.

A cheap scooby might sound like a good idea, but bear in mind that the cheapest ones are 92 - 94's and thus nearly 10 years old, so it is possible new gearboxes, clutches, and other things might need replacing, and well, it aint exactly cheap to do that, trust me, I have a 94 WRX and if you want to keep it in tip top condition it costs a lot.
Old 30 May 2003, 02:09 PM
Dodge
Scooby Regular

Scoobys are a bit too isolating for track days - you don't get the full sensations through the cockpit AND a helmet...

I'd suggest you get a nice caterfield and slide it about a lot - cheaper AND more involving...

All IMHO, of course.
Old 30 May 2003, 02:23 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If you do 12 track days a year, I would buy a E30 M3, 944 LUX, S or S2, or a lightweight caterfield type thing.

You do not need 4WD on track, and most scoobs have crap brakes.
Old 30 May 2003, 02:33 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

If you buy a cheap (old) scoob you will want to upgrade the brakes at an absolute minimum !

As stated above, there are loads of better cars for the track.
Old 30 May 2003, 02:33 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
evo mag's track day car of the year looked at running costs. Basically, the lighter the car, the better - less wear on brakes, tyres, fuel, etc. Buy a kit car mag or even Exchange and Mart and get a cheapy 7 copy. More fun and a Halfords glass-fibre repair kit costs a tenner if you dent it.
Old 30 May 2003, 02:50 PM
chinnybloke
Scooby Regular

We are all up for it but daren't take our own wagons around incase we smash them. Last trackday I watched was at Cadwell Park about 3 weeks ago and two people crashed right in front of us. They were using their road cars and I felt gutted for them.

Cheers,
Chinnybloke
Old 30 May 2003, 03:49 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't say there's no use for AWD on a circuit, not at all. I've very limited track day experience, but I did find my car pulling out distance from other cars that I wouldn't expect to. Not due to skill, or handling - but simply 'cos the Scoob put more power down when leaving a corner.

If I were to choose a track day car, it would certainly be a lightweight open-top Seven replica; Westfield, Caterham type. Lightweight and bugs in your teeth!