Decisions, Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2003, 09:34 AM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 P Green Scoob here

97 P blue Scoob here

At either ends of the country for me, so viewing both is a bit of a bind, and I don't want to pay for 2 AA inspections, and could probably pick up all they could myself.
The 97 one has higher miles, and is fairly standard bar the wheels.
The 96 has low miles, and has been chipped to 260 ish BHP.

Would appreciate any comments, particularly from anyone who may know either car or owner.

Cheers

P.S. Email at sulli@ntlworld.com if you don't want to post
Old 28 May 2003, 10:44 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Interesting choice - one is pre facelift, one is post facelift.

Subaru changed the engine a fair bit between the 2 cars - smaller straight entry turbo on the 97, and a right angled entry large turbo on the older one.

As for the interior - nice bucket seats in the 97, but the 96 does look like it has leather...

The exterior changes: front lights, bonnet, grill and rear bumper.

I prefer the interior and exterior of the later cars, and the engine of the earlier cars (unless you are talking about post MY98)

With the 97 check for piston slap - a common problem that should have been dealt with under warranty.
Old 28 May 2003, 10:48 AM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that.
How do I spot piston slap? Is it a ticking noise from the head area, as I viewed a 97 last week, and that's what it had - wasn't sure what it was.
Old 28 May 2003, 12:07 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

There is a WAV file floating around somewhere in General Technical I think. The ticking was more likely to be a control solenoid or the tappets if the engine was cold. (I'm not an expert on Scoob engines!)

Also http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm has some model change info. etc. A useful read if you haven't seen it.

Old 28 May 2003, 01:07 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

97 uns sounds like a dealer if u ask me & has a few facts wrong, since he has no real power mods BHP should be 208 although it doesn't sound bad i wood wana check on phone it has had decent service record in terms of all the correct bit being changed as part of 90k service which both on time & distance for the car it should have had done at least 6 months + ago
96 looks quite tasty if it fits the bill & i have baught sum goodies from buzz b4 in his previous identity although i wood check what yer insuarnce is guna say with healthy mods as to that degree of BHP unlikely be any better than an import
Si
PS de ja vous were u a local type if so u fancy coming to the next cov meet on the 8th? linky
Old 28 May 2003, 01:09 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

PS as u will note from above sidc link it's mostly post 97 that has piston slap & easy to spot when starting from cold but if yer travelling a way maybe hard to prevent them warming it up
Si (with healthy 97)
Old 28 May 2003, 01:35 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

I did ask if he was a trader - he said no, he's had it 2 years.
As for service history, supposedly full - he's calling me in a bit and will ask about 90k service - is that cam-belt etc?
Old 28 May 2003, 02:48 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

yep 90k is everything & more i just had mine dun at 81k & it's working it's way to a 4 figured sum (admittedly kuz i needed a few extra bits changing liek the pretensioner was feked from when a subaru dealer had previously changed belt FSSH aint everything u no )with cambelt, timing belt, plug & all fluids. + the fact i have to get my air con bearing replaced after the belt was changed further expense oh well nice lot of paperwork for whoever i end up selling it to
Si