ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Baby Recaro

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2000, 09:05 PM
V697DMO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone have one of the Baby Recaro seats, my scooby dealer sells them they look the biz but I need some feed back before parting with my cash
Old 14 April 2000, 09:51 PM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Also interested as sprog is getting too big for Rock-A-Tot (tm).

Old 14 April 2000, 10:29 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

fashion victim?

maybe im wrong but are these seats the safest possible for the money or are they there to satisfy the parents needs?

Sorry for being a cynic but are these seats to safety what a Tommy Hilfiger jacket is to an artic expedition?
Old 14 April 2000, 11:28 PM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

jj

Are you a dad?

As a dad you would find it hard to compromise the safety of your daughter over something as transient as fashion. I believe that you would find the safety, comfort & capabilities of a Recaro seat equivalent to, or better than, that of Britax or Mamas & Papas, but I am open to proof that I am wrong. For Recaro's own word on the matter;
Old 14 April 2000, 11:36 PM
Acker
Scooby Regular

Cool

I bought one for my nephew, and it is a very good seat. Start 'em young I say. It's pricey but then it is supposed to cater for a child up to 12 years.
It is very light and folds down pretty flat for stowing in the boot or elsewhere.
It's a bit early for your nipper though 'cos they are for children aged 9 months to 12 years. Any other questions?
Old 15 April 2000, 12:17 AM
WAL
Scooby Regular

I've got to agree with you about the Britax seats, they've been making baby seats for years unlike Recaro. As you also say they normally win a few of the industry awards which must also count for something!
I too looked at the Recaro seat when buying my daughters new babyseat, but it really seemed an awful lot more money for the "name" alone (IMHO).
Anyway we've been very happy with both our Britax seats and before I get flamed our daughters safety is "money no object" .
I wonder if Prodrive made baby seats how many people would go for those just to compliment the car!!!
Regards
Warren
Old 15 April 2000, 12:01 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sorry if my opinion has caused offence.

I have taken your subjective view and made a direct comparison with my own judgements. This is what makes this an interesting forum, individual opinion.

My opinion is that, if you wish to have an objective view, from the evidence presented on the internet, the britax child seats must be foremost. Not only have they won awards for safety;
Old 15 April 2000, 02:09 PM
Saj
Scooby Regular

My daughter sits in a Recaro baby seat, and I would have her in nothing else, surely the name Recaro says it all have they ever developed a seat that has been let down, Thankyou

V697DMO

Let me know what dealer and how much may be interested in another one.

Old 15 April 2000, 06:43 PM
Ken S
Scooby Newbie

Smile

I almost went for the Recaro, but decided on the Cosatto Evolution Sport in British Racing Green! They also come in Bright red or yellow and are stocked by Mothercare World or here
Old 16 April 2000, 04:15 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi,

I also have a Recaro Start for my 15 Month old son. The fact that it is made by Recaro doesn't hurt, but I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't a well designed, safe product - I'm in no doubt that it is.

Compared to the Maxi-Cosi and Britax seats which have a molded GRP shell, I think that the Recaro Aluminium frame has the dual advantages of lighter weight and reduced bulk. It is certainly a lot more easy to put in and remove than either of the other two I tried because it is secured by running the normal three point belt over the front of the seat rather than running it through the base of the chair, which is a bit fiddly. The Impreza's rear doors aren't too wide, so the reduced bulk and weight make it easier to put in/take it out.

In an accident, the Recaro's aluminium seat tubes are designed to bend in a controlled fashion, which puts less load through into the belts (and therefore your kid's chest). This reduces the maximum deceleration that the child is exposed to, and therefore reduces the risk of injury substancially.

The only problem with any upright car seat is that they won't sleep as easily as when they are horizontal - an inflated neck support cushion is a good idea here.

Rgds,

Alex