ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Prodrive ruin Scoobies???

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2000, 07:42 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

First there was the 22B, which in japanese spec did 0-60 in 3.9 sec (Car), and was praised whereever it was tested then came out the U.K model modified by Prodrive and lost to all the rivals including the RB5 (EVO).
Now we have the P1 and after all that was promised it loses to the EVO6 (Autocar), because of the steering, brakes and soft susppenssion, on the other hand they say the Evo was better and faster than the grey import thanks to Ralliart treatment.
So what the is going on with Prodrive have they lost their touch?, maybe they should stick to the STI cars if they don't know how to better them.
Old 16 April 2000, 08:51 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Elondan,

Drive one before you believe the mags.
Prodrive have taken a fine car and noticeably improved it,particularly the suspension.

Is the improvement worth the extra cost?That is very subjective and down to personal choice.

John
Old 16 April 2000, 09:29 AM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Elondan

If you want to believe Magazines read Top Gear where it matches the EVO VI, Evo where it is rated as the best real world drivers car and Car Mag.

Performance figures wise Top Gear test it against a STD read not Press Car modified Ralliart EVO VI and its slightly quicker.

Also do as John says drive one first before commenting. I have along with others on the list and if you think Prodrive have ruined it I hate to think what the car would be like if they did a good job.

Without going into the whole argument which youve joined six months to late. The suspension is a great improvement over an STI. I used to own an STI V so can comment. Also ask most STI owners what their first mod is and it is to change the suspension.

Jonathan

Just a quote from EVO for the mag man

"We thought the Prodrive modded RB5 (EVO only used prodrive modded ones) was probably the worlds most accessible superbox, there is a click and go simplicity to this Scooby that almost beggars belief"

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 16-04-2000).]
Old 16 April 2000, 03:05 PM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Talking

As a big fan of Scoobies and a proud owner I was upset after reading the Autocar issue and the idea was to ask you guys for an explantion not to put down Subaru or Prodrive, but still you didn't answer me regarding the 22B.
I do read Top gear and Car but they arrive late to Israel.
Old 16 April 2000, 03:49 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Jonathan,

we meet again in virtual world

I have an STi, and whilst I would agree that the standard STi suspension is not perfect - renowned for being twitchy on UK roads - this problem is very easily fixed at very low cost.

I remain convinced that the STi V suspension is superb and simply ruined by the use of plastic rear anti-roll bar links in the rear introducing multiple roll-rates into the equation.

Certainly, other Scooby drivers, some with a very wide experience of driving many Scoobs, are impressed by how planted my car now feels. I have fitted solid rear links - this removing the twitchyness almost completely (does Leda do this?) and for the icing I have added an ALK. Overall superb - supple, compliant, predictable, usable.

P1 - haven't driven - I don't think I need to

R
Old 16 April 2000, 03:59 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Rannoch

It will be interesting to do a comparison one day, when my P1 finally arrives. Having not driven an STI V with your mods, I cant comment. B roads were never as much fun in the STI as they were the UK cars Ive had.

Hope youve found the cheap secret.

Jonathan
Old 16 April 2000, 07:53 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

R