Baby Recaro ?

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2000, 06:31 PM
ChrisG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello All,
Can anyone advise on the best/cheapest place to buy a Recaro baby seat?
Are they worth the extra money?
Chris
Old 06 August 2000, 09:11 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

I think Harj can do a discounted one but I bought mine from
Old 06 August 2000, 09:16 PM
Saj
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris

My baby uses one and it is superb, uses existing car belts works upto the age of 13.

Let me know how much you are getting one for and I should be able to get it cheaper, remeber to chose finish.

Cheers

Saj
STI V
Old 06 August 2000, 10:27 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Sorry Saj - not Harj

But academic as he replied anyway.

Out of interest, will Harj be getting one for his Skyline?
Old 06 August 2000, 10:44 PM
Saj
Scooby Regular

Only if its been breathed on by Nismo heh Harj

Saj

STI V

By the way we have 2 seats in stock at the mo and before anyone asks our loyal customers get them FOC for their children.
Old 07 August 2000, 07:50 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

My wife and I are also expecting a little one within the next few weeks GULP!!! Sorry Puff the little one will only be sitting in the Lexus not the Nissan.

The baby Recaro has already been bought, only to be used when the baby is 6 months+.

Harj.....
Old 07 August 2000, 08:14 AM
Saj
Scooby Regular

I started using mine 9 months on wards, you have probably seen the seat up right they do recline as far as comfort and safety.

My daughter never complains, and someone explain why would your existing seat belt be dangerous?

Saj
Old 07 August 2000, 08:16 AM
Saj
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Saj:
<B>I started using mine 9 months on wards, you have probably seen the seat up right they do recline as far as comfort and safety.

My daughter never complains, and someone explain why would your existing seat belt be dangerous?

Saj[/quote]

Yes Chris they do one which is Black around the sides and grey in the centre, familiar hey.
Old 07 August 2000, 12:20 PM
John Phillips
Scooby Regular

Question

What is the starting age for these seats? I've had a look at them as it has been my intention to get one, but they do not look too comfortable for a kid under 2 years old.

I also enquired about getting a leather retrim by Recaro. No problem for a nominal fee! but the safety type approval would not be valid as the seat has not been crash tested in leather trim.

...John
Old 07 August 2000, 12:52 PM
ChrisG
Scooby Regular

After a "total loss" a couple of years ago I can personally vouch for the effectiveness of Recaros and therefore did not just want the child seat because of the label. I do feel they are top quality.
However I have just had a look at the Recaro website, and must admit the seats don't look that comfortable for smaller children (my boy is only 8 months).
I must admit that I would have thought that a child seat with a four or five point harness would have been safer than using the three point seat belt in the rear of the Scoob. I've heard how the Recaro is aluminium and absorbs the shock in the event of an accident by deforming etc, however I can't see how the child wouldn't be injured by the three point seat belt acroos the front of them(especially a younger child).
The other seat I have seen and thought looked OK was the Cosatto "Grand Prix", anyone had any experience of these? They also seem to be very good quality and also look very similar to the front seats of the MY99/00 Imprezas!
Chris
Old 07 August 2000, 02:41 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

We started ours @ 13 months. I believe the website says 9mnths +.

I can recommend the Star Pack & the Infant Headrest instead of Neck Roll. Start Pack has extra padding insert & the all inportant Seat Belt padding (good for when they buy a Nova eh? ) & a Neck Roll.

My little one is as happy as a pig in $hit & seems to be well supported all round with NO lolling of the head.

My only downer is that it is quite awkward to adjust the seat-belt & if you leave it at one setting, does sometimes feel like you're going to squish the babe doing it up. Prehaps I'm being precious. Other than that its great.

Can't be used in centre section of scoob seat (safest place) unless you buy an optional harness type safety belt (& I think thats only for smaller children).

It's well worth speaking to Steve at the UK supplier/importer as he is quite willing to chat & answer any questions you may have, better than me. Phone number from the UK website (as above).
Old 07 August 2000, 04:53 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Harj

Good to hear teh news on the imminent baby arrival ..............oh and the child your expceting.

Mines now 3 months old there better than Playstation 2.

I was about to change the way my spelling appeared on here so as not to look a Gibber. However I feel a three day stag tour of Berlin would explain sufficently.....Oh yesss............I think I'm still pished.

Saj

I'll be in touch soon

[This message has been edited by Scott J Davies (edited 07 August 2000).]
Old 09 August 2000, 05:48 AM
ChrisG
Scooby Regular

Been looking round at other child seats and the Recaro looks to be the best option.

The above link to Recaro.co.uk is no use (website under development), does anyone have a contact telephone number for Steve?

Saj, I've emailed you.

Thanks
Chris
Old 11 August 2000, 01:05 PM
DesG
Scooby Regular

Old 11 August 2000, 02:43 PM
Saj
Scooby Regular

Wink

Baby due in September so in about 9 months I will want another one, I wonder where I should get it from.

Saj
STI V
Old 11 August 2000, 02:46 PM
Saj
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Saj:
<B>Baby due in September so in about 9 months I will want another one (seat), I wonder where I should get it from.

Saj
STI V[/quote]

Old 12 August 2000, 08:35 PM
DesG
Scooby Regular

Hi,

As I mentioned before we are in the market for a babyseat for jnr.

Cost isn't really a consideration within reason and I had decided to look seriously at the Recaro because of their reputation.

Having looked at the website, I have 2 questions which maybe some owners could shed some light on?

1. The seat is retained in the car by the 3pt seatbelt, and this is also what keeps the child in the seat? If so, on a severe frontal impact ie hitting something that doesn't move at 40 or 50 mph, is the weight of the seat not putting even more force on the child into the seatbelt?

2. Again, if an inertia reel seatbelt is used, does that not make it easy for a child to tamper with it, ie moving it over head under arms etc?

Having had an accident as desribed above, I am a bit nervous about not using a 5 point harness to hold the child to the seat and the seat being fixed to the car by isofix or a 3 pt belt.

Des and family

Old 12 August 2000, 11:12 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Des

As I understand, in (1) the seat is built to deform to reduce the stresses.

In (2), there is a seat belt restraint device which keeps the seat belt from retracting, or expanding. This also helps in (1).

Try