Sponsored by:

P1 test drive NOT imprezed

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2003, 07:27 PM
LeonT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

i went to listers today, in worcester, to have a look at trading my MY00 for a MYoo P1,

the service there was very good, and the test drive was plenty long enough, BUT i was not that impresed with the car as a whole,

i drive a UK with ppp, group A downpipe, blitz Nurspec centre and rear, itg, AP 6 pots,

the P1 was a nice example, prodrive d/p & back box, nice 18" tecnomis..... you know what i mean..lol
sti rear lights, morette's, prodrive brake kit,
21000 miles

had a good drive round in it, round some b rds, and on d/carrageways, and the chap said to me "dont be shy with it", so i was'nt,lol
but i was really amazed, it's nothing like i thought it would be,
the ride was a little better, but that is the only thing i can say makes it a better car than mine, apart from the looks of course,

any body else had a simular experience?

have i just been spoilt by my own car?

i have had a couple of blast with P1's in the past, and have just thought that they were not giving it the car full potential,as i was just sticking on there back end, ok perhaps i was'nt faster but i know i wasn't any slower,

it is the mid range power that i thought was the worst,

any views on this????
but

edited cause i can't spell
[Edited by LeonT - 5/19/2003 7:28:59 PM]

[Edited by LeonT - 5/19/2003 7:30:28 PM]
Old 19 May 2003, 07:40 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

the P1 was a nice example, prodrive d/p & back box
Interesting as the P1 exhaust only comes with a different back box. Are you sure it has a different d/p as changing the d/p will mean the warranty would be invalid.

My guess is you drove a standard performance wise P1 against your modded UK. Looking at your mods probably about 250(ish)bhp worth against 276bhp P1 but the P1 is 50kgs heavier as well so not much in it power to weight wise.

Old 19 May 2003, 07:46 PM
P130J
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I had a PPP MY00, fully decatted etc etc. Thought it was the dogs. I now have a standard P1 (apart from the big brakes) and frankly they are worlds apart. The P1 is very good package (takes cover) IMHO and I thoroughly love driving it. Revs harder and longer and just seems to pull forever
My old car doesn't even come close.
It's just personal opinion but I would never go back
Old 19 May 2003, 07:48 PM
LeonT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply chris,
and how the devil are you??????

yeah they had 3 P1's there, 2 v them had the catted d/p and the 1 which i was intrested did definatly have de cat d/p, the center i think had a resonator and which i think would have been a dummy cat,

the tail pipe on the backbox had a P etched on the top of it but did'nt know if that was p for prodrive or P for P!

also been told by several people that the way my car goes they would be very supprised it it was less than 275,

i really dont know myself,
but the p1 i think must have had at least, 280,
Old 19 May 2003, 08:31 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Leon not bad mate.

Bhp figures are a big subjective. The PPP removes the centre cat and is rated by Prodrive at 237bhp for an MY00 and I tend to believe their figures and they do lots of testing. Backbox is worth very little in terms of bhp (go in terms of noise) and the PPP has a freeflow BB anyway. Adding the d/p is unlikely to give you an extra 40bhp I would have said 15-20tops which is why I came to about 250bhp but hey what do I know .

My MY00 RA is rated the same as a P1 280PS (276bhp) and like the P1 only has one cat IIRC. I was told removing the cat on mine means it wont pass an MOT and I would would need to be remapped to cope with the extra throughput of air otherwise theres a chance of running very lean, so I left it legal.

My car last year made about 260bhp on Nobles RR and nothing was wrong and it was spot on, slight overfueling at high revs, but thery all do that apparently. Two fully decatted P1s on the same day made just over 290bhp and a few MY01 PPP were making about 230-240bhp. Interesting though my RA made 195bhp at the wheels (where it matters ) which was a couple of bhp more than the fully decatted P1s .

Also it only ran 1.0bar of boost on the RR and runs 1.2-1.3 on the normal road, I think this was due to the gear ratios. So 20% more boost on the road I may have my full 276bhp of horses back .

Old 19 May 2003, 08:45 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Well, about 3 years ago I wanted a test drive in a P1 ..... the wife and kids and dog couldnt find the back doors, I couldnt turn the radio on (cos there wasnt one!), found out it couldnt be used to tow ANYTHING! AND they wanted something stupid like £30,000!!!

'bout as much use as a chocolate teapot!!

Pete
Old 19 May 2003, 09:08 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

LOL Pete, Mx-5 has only got 2 doors and at least a P1 has a proper metal roof . Can you fit a tow bar to an MX-5?
Old 19 May 2003, 09:29 PM
ADY 555 !
Scooby Regular

Wink

Your turn Pete.
Old 19 May 2003, 09:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

We are talking Scoobies here NOT MX-5's!!!

I was looking for a MAIN car ............... my FUN cars are just that, FUN - ie. NOT practical at ALL!!

Now, if I was looking for a FUN car then the P1 might just fit the bill ........... or maybe that should be FUNNY car??!! As what can it offer someone looking at it as a 2nd/3rd car?? (cos it aint no use as a 1st car, is it??)

Has it got wind-in-the-hair thrills?? NO!!

Has it got Caterham type speed?? NO!!

Can it out handle a 'stock' Impreza?? NO!!

I am at a TOTAL loss at what it does that makes (some) people think its 'Special'?? Granted, most people have more sense than money where the P1 is concerned - remember the trouble Subaru had selling them?? They were about as popular as a fart in a space suit!! add to that BalsaWood Build quality and values that fell faster than a ****** knickers and you have all the hallmarks of a pointless model!!

Pete
Old 19 May 2003, 09:48 PM
LeonT
Scooby Regular

Wink

sorry guys if i have caused a fight?

ill shut up now
Old 19 May 2003, 10:10 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

My RA is my fun car my Focus is my main car . I dont need wind in the hair as I have air con both cars and because my RA is a JDM model it has full climate control .

Must admit I did look at a a couple P1s when I brought the RA and only having one car at the time the 2 doors put me off and the fact it was 9K more new .

[Edited by chrisp - 5/19/2003 10:12:30 PM]
Old 19 May 2003, 11:12 PM
MDM
Scooby Regular

Wink

dont know which p1 you drove but if you mail offline the reg i can fill the details in if was mine, oh and which salesman dealt with you.
mdm
Old 20 May 2003, 08:52 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you would rather not annoy others,a space suit is by far the best place to fart!

Les
Old 20 May 2003, 09:12 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Interesting as the P1 exhaust only comes with a different back box. Are you sure it has a different d/p as changing the d/p will mean the warranty would be invalid.
I read on here that Listers can supply a d/p which didn't void the warranty?? Infact, I'm sure it was a thread started by moi. Then again that doesn't mean to say it was true, lol

Leon: P1 does look bloody ace tho

Andy