ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Sti7 a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2003, 10:30 PM
STIcky fingers
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my 02 STi7 and am having PPP fitted shortly

Are 18's a good bet or are they just eye candy?
The car handles well at the moment but does it benefit after having the PPP fitted?

Prodrive brake upgrade seems a good idea in conjunction with the PPP but is it worth it?

Are there any other engine mods that don't invalidate the warranty?

Any Advice would be much appreciated by this scooby newbie

Dave

Old 09 May 2003, 11:57 PM
ipb32
Scooby Regular

18" wheels - Prodrive recommend 18" for PPP. You won't find many that'll fit though because of the Brembo brake calipers. If you want Superleggras you got to go to 19" and then you're talking rubber band tyres.

I had a STi7 some time ago and I'd say yes it most definitely needed PPP - it could be infuriating waitg for turbo to kick in.

I personally can't think of any reason why you would want the Prodrice brake upgrade. You've already got some of the best vrakes around with the Brembos. If you do want bigger - there are cheaper alternatives.

Can't think of any other engine mod offically approved by Subaru UK. Get PPP and enjoy your 300bhp!!!

Ian

Old 10 May 2003, 12:23 AM
korky
Scooby Regular

My STi 7 is PPP'd and still on 17s.

I'm not sure that on ordinary roads the average driver would really need or notice the difference.

I'll admit that 18s do look good however.

Just my opinion!

Enjoy,

Korky
Old 10 May 2003, 07:14 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Had 18's on my 01 for 2 years even track it with them on and it handles beautifully - go for it
Old 10 May 2003, 11:02 AM
nellie
Scooby Regular

Got a STI7+PPP,the mods i have done are 18s,anti-lift kit,rear roll bar,droplinks,eibach springs(may change to Prodrive ones),DBA gold,drilled and grooved discs,definate improvement in stopping no fade etc...mintex 1155 pads all round,Firestorm backbox and centre section plus cosmetic mods as well,driving lights,nothing boy racer though!!.
Old 10 May 2003, 12:27 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

I would spend money on springs before anything else, 18's or 19's look the dogs dangles but do not do much for grip, the lower profile tyres with a more rigid wall will probably be faster on a track but the increased unsprung weight of the tyre and this rigidity will make the standard cars relatively hard ride worse on our "wonderful" b and some a roads. Watch out for standard WRX's, ,especially those fitted with ppp, they are better sorted on these roads IMHO.
Oh! I have an sti7ppp and had a WRX before so I know both quite well.
Old 10 May 2003, 01:42 PM
UKType
Scooby Regular

When I bought the STi7 Prodrive from the dealer I didnt like the gold wheels so decided to swap for the 18" Prodive and they also seemed even lighter than 17" standard wheels. Have since had the ppp and Prodrive springs fitted and very pleased with performance and roadholding also looks far better than the 17" IMHO
Old 11 May 2003, 10:45 AM
BASHER
Scooby Regular

I picked up my STi7 in Nov 2002 and spent weeks trying to decide on PPP or no PPP.
I ended up keeping the car totally standard and leaving the extra cash in the bank, I have found that as long as you do not mind actually driving the car and your not a complete MPG freak you will have all the fun you can handle, after all £2k for 40BHP is a big ask in my book.
Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get used to the STi7, I had an Imported Type RA before and found the change over very hard as they are completey different cars despite both having the Scooby name.
Old 11 May 2003, 05:36 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Yes, you can have mega fun in an unmodded STi7.... but you have to keep the revs really on the boil to do it. And for 'everyday' driving, you keep having to change down to regain pace after every little check and hindrance. PPP sorts both out admirably, as well as providing plenty of extra performance. Many people find a marginal improvement in MPG, precisely because they can keep the revs down (tho I haven't personally). You can get similar performance enhancements for cheaper, if you're into the technical modding side and don't mind sacrificing your warranty.

18" wheels do provide better stability at low speed on uneven roads, though many people blame the RE040s for this. But a set of shod 18" wheels is pretty pricey.......

Go for the PPP for certain. Think hard abot the 18" wheels before deciding (see if you can get adrive in an 18"-equipped car!)

Phil