Sponsored by:

Scoobs, Cruises and the MaxPower scene.

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2003, 03:45 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Lee, what I was trying to say is that I don't actually live on a council estate so according to Scoobywont I'm not 'scum' even though I've got an 'old' 98MY Scoob!
Scoobywont seems to have a MAAAASIVE bleedin' chip on his shoulder and he really ought to stop tarring everybody with the same brush!
edited to say I'm a family man and wouldn't risk mine or my families lives driving like a tosser ( well, okay, perhaps I get a little over enthusiastic when I'm on me own on a quiet country road but never in town)

[Edited by zip106 - 5/1/2003 3:50:23 PM]
Old 05 January 2003, 06:47 PM
Canuck
Scooby Regular

Nice idea for a thread, Lee.

Inspired by this recent discussion?

[Edited by Canuck - 5/1/2003 6:48:26 PM]
Old 30 April 2003, 02:27 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Salsa posted a video in the members gallery of a guy in a Scoob trying to donut in a carpark on a Nottingham cruise.

Click here for the thread. Please read the posts further down the thread.

Its got me thinking of how far things have changed over the last five years and how quickly they are still changing regarding how the Scoob is thought of by the public.

Would it bother you if driving the scoob meant you were thought of as a Maxpower idiot type rather than a driving/car enthusiast?

As second hand Scoobs get cheaper do you think its the only way the Scooby scene is heading or will we see the insurance companies hiking the premiums like the old Cosworth days?

Please discuss.

Lee
Old 30 April 2003, 02:36 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hiya Lee,

I thought about this a few times and figure that
a) I'm not bothered what people think of me when all they have to judge me on is the car i've just pulled up next to them in and
b) I love it and still smile after every trip and in the mornings going to the garage to open the door! It's MY car, no one elses.
Because I have a STiV spoiler, 17inch wheels, a screen strip and window tint's with a dump valve and a decatted exhaust, doesn't make me less of an enthusiast or automatically make me a buffoon on the roads. I do see your side of the coin though

Give it a few years and the big spoilered Alfa's will be there aswell lol

Mikey
Old 30 April 2003, 02:41 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

In a way it does bother me.
When i picked up my Scoob lastweek, a few people at work said..oh..you've got a wee family car then..(i got a wagon)

Then as soon as the Magnex went on..the other comments were..oh..so you've bought a boy racer car then ??

Total pants..if i was a boy racer i'd go out and buy a 1.1 Saxo ad then spend 2k on a bodykit that makes the car look like a space shuttle..IMHO.

So yes..i think some Scooby drivers are gonna get branded by the boy racer name.

johnny
Old 30 April 2003, 02:43 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Mikey,

You don't care what people think because you have blacked out windows. LOL

I already have the high wing spoiler and exhaust fitted M8.

I wouldn't start hand brake turning and wheel spinning in a carpark though. I also take pride in my road driving and no that doesn't mean sticking to all the speed limits before anyone jumps in, but driving to the conditions and situation.

I loved my Scoob and I'm looking at getting a MY03/04 towards next year, just looking at how the image of the scoob is changing.

Lee

[Edited by logiclee - 4/30/2003 2:49:50 PM]
Old 30 April 2003, 03:34 PM
mwp
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm 39 and after a years of different performance cars that in general were subtle, chose an sti8ppp. I've had a lot of mid-life-crisis, boy racer, you're a bit old for that comments, but i couldn't give a stuff. why ? ... because it's a bloody great car that is huge fun to drive, looks very good/different, sounds great and makes ME feel good ... and that's all that counts.

AND ... 99% of the people i "meet" on here seem to feel the same, which can't be a bad bunch to be around
Old 30 April 2003, 04:23 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The image is not changing....it's changed!
Old 30 April 2003, 05:20 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dear of dear

'The image is not changing.... it’s changed!'

'Would it bother you if driving the scoob meant you were thought of as a Maxpower idiot type rather than a driving/car enthusiast?'

IMHO If this so-called image is why you buy a car then they are not really enthusiasts anyway.

Impreza’s offer great performance at a good price, not many cars around the money will offer the same in terms of overall performance.

As they get more affordable then they become more attainable by the masses, there will be good and bad owners, not many posts saying how good someone’s driving is - just the bad stuff - 'Baseball wearing yobbo in a scoob ran down my dog, swore at my kids and porked my Mrs' stuff - so what?
“How can I drive my Scoob anymore it just isn’t the same.” - Really, oh dear!

Lets keep it real, the cars haven’t changed, some of the owners might have but so what, it does not take away from the driving experience or fun factor – Bang for your buck.

As for image, if the cap fits wear it, doe not make all Scoob drivers 18y/o nut jobs with something to prove.

If you sell it because of the image what are you going to get instead?

BMW – Well that’s an estate agent/drug dealer-pimps car isn’t it?
Porsche – well if it ain’t a 911 then it ain’t a real Porsche – poor mans porker isn’t it?
Jag - isn't that an old mans car, don't you get one when you retire arn't they?
Honda - Ditto
MG - Beardy real ale drinkers cars arn't they?
The list can go on

As will these threads - So called image - get over it!

Well that’s me done then

I’ll get my coat……………….

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 4/30/2003 5:43:26 PM]
Old 30 April 2003, 05:44 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Since my early twenties there has always been at least one so called sports/performance car in the garage (although a TR7 probably streched the description to an extreme)

So I've had decades of the fanny magnet, boy racer, ***** extension routine. Early in scoob ownership and the comments were of a more quizical, why one of those, it's Korean isn't it nature. Returning to the earlier format a few years back.

Currently we seem to be drifting out of Gangsta phase. Where my wife used to get "in the drug dealing car today?" and similar when she took it to work.

I sense a air of disaproval at work too which maybe fueled by owners with "power exhausts" hooning to and from nearby tuners/importers. If the local cruisers decided to hi-jack the local retail park and watch scoobs donutting the disdain would be universal.

Similarly neighbours attitudes have changed, one who happily allowed four Scoobs to park in safety on his drive previously, came over and said "saw another of your stupid mates out trying to kill himself last week"

mwp
Time was when 99% of the people here were responsible enthusiasts. Whilst the majority still are I feel that percentage is significantly lower now.

Did hve this great idea to keep the car and in years to come, in the manner of the E Type & Healy fraternity, fill the picknic hamper, and donning me stringbacks head off to meet some like minded individuals.

Maybe a decade on from the P plates I'll simply be too old to Scoobie.
Old 30 April 2003, 06:09 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Arrow

To quote Max Power directly

The ultimate guide to arsing around in cars
Says it all really

Insurance probably will go up on the classic shapes only as the Max Power 'Crewz' generally can't afford to buy a new WRX/STi (half inching them is a different matter). More inexperienced drivers can afford them now they are cheaper, young drivers have more accidents, parts cost a lot to replace therefore premiums go up.

It surprises me how many classic shapes I've seen coming out of the council estates and the areas generally not known to be so affluent. I'm sure Lee and Mikey know that areas in Notts such as Bestwood Estate, St Annes and the like are known for car crime and having lunatic drivers who probably aren't insured or are banned anyway.

I've even seen a triplet of Scoobs being thrown around "The Circuit" in questionable road worthiness. Lights out etc. One of them even had the wing missing. Tear-arsing around at high speeds outside a busy nightclub where revellers often walk in the road isn't exactly sensible. It's not just the scoob drivers down there though, it's most of the boyracers be it whatever they drive who go down there who seem reckless and insistent on endangering the public.

I'd be quite intereted in seeing Salsa's comments on this subject as he always ends up in the local paper (Nottingham Evening Post) as the voice of the boyracers. Always makes me chuckle when he's made out to be the chief boyracer in Notts.

I'll stick the flame suit (and teflon stab jacket) on now as their's bound to be scum in those lovely areas wanting to have a go now that I've made my opinion on those lovely areas and boyracers known.

Lastly

As for image, if the cap fits wear it
But just don't wear it backwards
Old 30 April 2003, 06:10 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't give a fat bo11ox about what people think of my car.
Just like i don't give a fat bo11ox about the way i look. In my general crowd i'm known as the scruffy one.
Just for the record, it's not often i remove my baseball cap

Opinions, opinions, opinions.
Everyone is perfectly entitled to them, so let em.
Old 30 April 2003, 06:23 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
.......as you know.. i have NEON on my Scoob!!! lol

I feel its changed.. mentioned it to Lee on sunday, not the same as it was 4yrs ago... even when LogicLee had his scoob.

BUT... as classic Scoobs come cheap.. (saphire cossies were the same) the yob/boy racer element wil jump on the band wagon.. 'FAST/CHEAP car. look at me Kev!!!'
But they might be able to BUY the car, can the afford to pay the hi insurance and running cost??? May be not!
This is where it goes down hill.

The UK300 in the vid clip is a bit of a one off (i would have thought) i spoke to thta guy last year when he had a MY96 Turbo.. he wanted a 'newer car, I thought he's go for a MY98/99. NO.. he went and bought a UK300!!!!!!!!!!!
apparently he has a good job as a welder and still lives at home!!!

I don't think you'll see that many Scoobs £17k+ cars at cruises.
You don't see that many £10k cars there either!!!! lol

You normally find 'boyracers' buy a £5k car and spend another £5k on Flip paint and body kit!

Phil
Old 30 April 2003, 06:27 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

well said brun we buy the car cos WE want it not becasue it looks better than next doors, as for younger inexperianced<sp?> drivers. Im 24<look about 16/17> and been driving since i was 17 and passed my pcv when i was 20. my job is a profesional driver,
so its not age, many accidents i see on the motorways are older people 30+,
Old 30 April 2003, 06:46 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Phil,

You started it!!!!

Its because of what you said on Sunday and the post in the Gallery that set me wondering if other people thought the Scoob scene/image had changed as we did.

I didn't say it would stop me having a Scoob again and I don't think anyone so far has said its putt them off, just wondered what everyone thought

Oh and Phil,
I had the Scoob up until two years ago, four years sounds too long. LOL

Lee
Old 30 April 2003, 06:50 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Newport.

I have never mentioned age but if anyone at an age thinks its OK and safe to do donuts in a carpark or race round crowded city centres then they are definitely inexperienced.

Lee
Old 30 April 2003, 07:00 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Agree with you there Lee. I've seen people lying on the black stuff leeking claret after being knocked down on Collin Street by the boyracers hurtling aroud the circuit. Should have their lecences taken away for endangerment.
Old 30 April 2003, 07:03 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sounds like the problem is not the cars it's the people from Nottingham who drive them

Old 30 April 2003, 07:06 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

who "drive" them
Old 30 April 2003, 07:17 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

The guy in the UK300 couldn't drive !
Old 30 April 2003, 07:18 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

And it's these people who will be forcing up insurance premiums for good drivers.

Sadly it's not just the locals. People travel from Leicester, Derby, Sheffield etc as the Notts boyracer circuit found fame (or should that be infamy) after Max Power once named it as the place to go for crusing.

I've still got the article which hit the front cover of the local paper:

Magazine editor Nigel Grimshaw said "We do not condone any form of illegal or dangerous driving"
So they don't condone dangerous or illegal driving but they do condone "Arsing around in cars"
Old 30 April 2003, 07:55 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Lee
well it seems long enough!!!

someone mention Sheffield????? thats Peccy then! lol

Phil

[Edited by salsa-king - 4/30/2003 7:56:11 PM]
Old 30 April 2003, 08:14 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Prices go down ... Insurance goes up wildly!

Love to see Nova boy, aged 17, pay the premium on a Scoob!! I'm 21 and just forked out a cool 2.7g's for the insurance on MY98 Turbo - only reason I paid it was because none of the numerous performance cars I test drove left me gob-smacked as much as the standard Scooby!

Peace to all!
Old 30 April 2003, 08:29 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Angry

Scoobywont- why don't you just get another car if driving a Scoob is such a problem? I've read your posts on another thread and have come to the conclusion that you are a complete snob!
I too live in Notts ( TSL area) and drive a 98MY turbo so in your veiw am I not scum because I don't live in an Estate? or am I scum because I've got an 'old' car?
I guess I can't win with people like you- I also drive a lowly BMW so that makes me a tosser and I also drive a van so that MUST make me a White van man ( although it's blue). Just a few thoughts.
lots of love,
zip ( scum x 3)
Old 30 April 2003, 08:46 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

How about:

" the price is coming down, so now more enthusiasts can buy them?"

Got my scoob for £12000 15 months ago - we were looking for a new car to replace our old and tired 1.2 Corsa, looking at Astras etc. because we never thought we'd be able to afford a Scoob - at the time the one's I really wanted i.e. MY98 < were selling for around £15000 in the dealers for one with decent milage...Myself and my partner were already memebers of IWOC, and asking about a potential car on there meant the previous owner of our now Scoob contacted us asking if we wanted to see her car! She was trading up to an Sti7 and was looking for another "female enthusiast" to sell the car to, all we have to do was clear the remaining finance...hence, I met my Scoob

Being 23 at the time and planning and wedding and our first house there was no way we could afford the car we really wanted, but thanks to the prices becoming more reasonable it paves the way for more enthuiasts as well as others...

So guys, is your glass half empty or half full?

...just a thought
Old 30 April 2003, 09:09 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Zip,

I too live on a ex-Council Estate in Mansfield. The houses are selling for around £90k to £100k for a 3 bed semi and £20k cars are common so I dont think that the area is a major issue. Its easy to make sweeping statements, there are rough areas in every county.
You are more likely to get a teenager who has rich parents and a newish car showing showing off IMO. I agree there are some death traps on the road that need removing from road use.

Jen,

My glass is half full. I now car enhusiasts that buy magazines, goto events, blag rides etc because they love cars. Its great that people can own their dream.
Unfortunatly there are always the others that cause the problems.

Lee
Old 30 April 2003, 09:11 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Im 17, access to our Scooby, but not a Nova boy and am forking out 2.5gs on insurance. Only after pass-plus and skid pan training Ive been told by the old man!

damn boy racers. only time Id try to show off would be @ binbrook or elvington etc.
Old 30 April 2003, 09:17 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Lee - It is great - best thing I've done, although I still haven't had a honeymoon yet, uprating the brakes was just too important!

...know what you mean, and I see both sides...I'm living in hope that the people who aren't enthusiasts will be priced out still, ok, so you can buy them - but they still cost a fortune to run! (well, compared to a saxo, if you like modding etc. ) are you going to want to spend that money if you could just go back to a cheaper car?
Old 30 April 2003, 10:33 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

LEE, sorry mate it was scooby wonts comments on inexperianced drivers i meant, i mean its not just 17 year olds that are crap at driving you can be any age, and i totalt agree with you i dont think doing doughnuts/handbrake turns etc is an experianced drivers way of driving,

JEN you said what i was thinking i was upgrading my car < loved the scoobys> and my mate was selling a my00 sport wich i now own and have modded <sensibly>
Old 01 May 2003, 09:29 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Cool

I gotta agree with Jen,

Why do we automatically assume that because a scoob costs less than 10k it's gonna be bought by a tosser?
I wish there were £10k scoobs around when I bought mine, i'd have jumped at the chance

If i was a car enthusiast who was less than 25, earning ok money who wanted a scoob because of what I'd learnt about them and seen, and then one came along for £10k, i'd be over the moon. If an even cheaper one came along so much the better. Doesn't make me a knobber though.

As has been stated before, the Max Power brigade of today are generally the enthusiasts of tomorrow. Agreed Lee, there are a few low lifes at these things who are trying to work out how to steal ya car, but you get that in any club/following. Take football clubs for example. On the one hand family entertainment, 5 rows back you have the Hooligan contingent plotting the after game attack down the local! Doesn't make the game of football crap though.
I also know people with Saxo's who groan everytime they see one that has been "powered" because they too don't like being tarred with the same brush.
Because the scoob has become affordable to the masses, surely doesn't mean we should all sell up and buy a more "suitable" (read expensive to portray an air of exclusivity) car because we are worried about what the neighbours might have to say
Like before, if someone wants to judge me on my car alone then that ain't my problem, it's theirs (sp?)

Next thing you know, it'll be wrong to wave at a classic scoob incase it's seen as encouraging the "dodgy" folk

Mikey

Quick Reply: Scoobs, Cruises and the MaxPower scene.