Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Calling all WRX owners

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2000, 05:20 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I'm only wanting answers from NON STi people here, simply so as not to confuse the issue.

Anyway, here goes:

Do you, in your WRX use Super Unleaded or Premium Unleaded

In either case do you use any form of octane booster and if so which one, how much does it cost, and where did you get it from.

The reason for the question is that I'm sitting here waiting for my WRX Wagon to turn up and I'm worrying about the fuel to use. I've been told that I can run it all the time on Premium Unleaded, but I want to know what the rest of you do as I really, really don't want to have my engine die on me.

cheers
Old 17 March 2000, 05:38 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

I use NUL in my 220 bhp WRX wagon but if yours is a 280bhp WRX ie after 10/96 facelifted model use SUL. WRX 245bhp models ie old 4dr saloons OK on NUL, BUT I wouldn't risk it on the modern 280 bhp'ers
Any use?
Tim
Old 17 March 2000, 05:45 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

If I didn't currently have an STI I would probably post something like this:

It really depends on the spec of the WRX in question, if you have, for instance, a '96 wrx 5door (~220PS standard), then normal unleaded would probably suffice, although getting it checked for det would be a good idea. If it were a more recent model 4dr wrx with 280ps quoted then run it on super or get it mapped to run 95ron safely. The later wrx cars claim the same power as an STI but with a weaker engine. Again, you can always fit a knocklink and monitor it yourself!

But as I have been specifically excluded from contributing, I won't bother you...

Moray
(I used to have a WRX, and an STI is a tuned WRX, does that count?)
Old 17 March 2000, 05:47 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

I answered and I've got both!
Tim
Old 17 March 2000, 07:34 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Ive got an MY93 WRX and use nothing but SUL. Many people reckon its not required but I would take some serious persuassion to the contrary.

When SUL was 98 Ron I could feel the difference and watch it on the boost gauge, but now its 97....I dont know.

As far as Octane Boosters go, I would opt for Millers, might even try it myself!

Hope this is what u were after !!

Regards

Richie
Old 17 March 2000, 07:49 PM
Did
Scooby Regular

Markus,
MY95 WRX (260ps) I use SUL without exception, unless I get caught out when I can't get any.
Did
Old 17 March 2000, 11:28 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

I've only ever used Super Unleaded 98 Ron which is now 97 - it's all very confusing... never put Octaine booster in but know people that have... probably okay but don't know... I will only ever use the best Super Unleaded for mine... also own an MX5 which sometimes gets the benefit of 98 (by mistake) and the difference is quite noticeable...

Hope that helps.

Penni
Old 18 March 2000, 10:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Cheers peeps! made me worry a little less.

did not want to upset anyone with the NON STi staement, it was simply that I have spoken to many people who say that have a WRX and they don't specify if it's bog stanard WRX (not that this is a bad thing) or an STi.

From the little research I've done it looks like my car (which is a 1994 model, sorry, forgot to put that in the orig. post) is a 220 or 240 PSmodel.
consensus seems to be that SUL would be the juice of choice, but with SUL being 97 and normal being 95 I don't see that much diference. I think I'll play with the devil and run it on normal UL and hen try it on SUl for a month and see what the real world difference is (providing the girlfriend and the weimaraner will allow thecost!!!!)
Old 19 March 2000, 08:22 AM
Marcos
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi - just read through your mail (I'm a bit late)

I recently experienced strange acceleration problems which I believe I cured by changing from NUL at supermarket garages to SUL at Shell.

I have a 5door WRX '95 model which has been slightly modified with magnex exhaust and Blitz air induction - and the difference is really noticeable - its much smoother, slightly more MGP (aaaaaahhh no more threads on MPG!!!!!) and seems to pickup revs better.

!What I haven't tried is Shell NUL - it could just be Shell has better petrol?? Just to put a spanner in the works.....!

Also - I haven't reset the ECU....or has it reset itself?

cheers

marcus
Old 19 March 2000, 08:39 PM
Graham Stocker
Scooby Regular

I use Shell Super unleaded on my 95 WRX slightly modified Hyper exhaust system K+N filter . Shell is supposed to be better petrol ?, Suits my car , doesnt miss a beat!!