Sponsored by:

How to get a 300BHP Wagon??

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2003, 06:17 PM
Mike_Knowles
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I’m after a 300 BHP new age wagon. As there ain’t no STi wagon I reckon I have two choices.

Jap import Sti7 wagon or tweaked UK WRX. I reckon it weighs up something like this.

Jap Sti7 wagon has ~300 BHP (depending on who you believe!) from the STi engine. It has a v hard Jap suspension set up. Not sure if it has same brakes & interior as UK STi? Any body know? I would put in a UK stereo, 18” alloys, full set of Eibachs and a geometry set up. I may even change the exhaust and ECU. I am a worried getting service parts and spares will be a problem any body any experience?

UK WRX wagon
This will need a lot more! Prodrive 330mm brakes, 18” alloys, Full Eibachs, ECU & full exhaust.

Warranty, insurance, resale and fuel costs are not an issue to me as it is a company car covering 500-700 miles a week!

Can anyone answer the questions above; offer a better solution or advice?
Old 18 April 2003, 07:16 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

One comment... Your very, very lucky to have that choice as a Company Car!!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 18 April 2003, 07:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly, i dont think that your company will cover a grey import car, there is no dealer network for these cars in the uk and the insurance is higher than that of an equivelant uk car.
Your best bet will be an MY03 wrx wagon with PPP, if your company lets you have a PPP'd car that is and also the brakes/suspension mods may also not be alowed by the insurance co that does your company car insurance.
Servicing will be somewhat higher than normal though even though its 10k service intervals now and super unleaded is a must on either a PPP'd car or a JDM (jap domestic market) car (plus a JDM car will need octane booster also to get it up to 100 ron fuel and as a few people will tell you, these engines are not cheap if run on incorrect fuel type....).

Tony
Old 19 April 2003, 11:34 AM
Mike_Knowles
Scooby Newbie

Tony

Thanks for that! Mods are not a problem with the insurance or service costs. My current Saab is tweaked from 150 to 280 BHP with dropped suspension and a Porsche brake conversion! It should run on SUL but I use 95 in it a lot of the time. I'm after something to go one better and have always fancied a Scooby!

Would not using Octane Booster in a JDM car be a problem or would it just lose some performance?
Old 19 April 2003, 11:57 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Mike,
not running the correct octane on these cars can be devastating to the engine (melted pistons etc) so you would need to run the car on super plus octane booster to be on the safe side (engine rebuilds are around 6k in price) and the performance figures that are quoted on the JDM cars are running 100 ron fuel (ie 276bhp).
A PPP'd uk wagon would probably be your best bet though as even with 265ps you cant really complain

Tony
Old 19 April 2003, 03:07 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Watch this space,

we're trying for about 320bhp+ from our new age UK wagon!

Rgds
Nito
Old 19 April 2003, 04:53 PM
Mike_Knowles
Scooby Newbie

Tony
£6k engine rebuilds would not go down well with my boss!! I suspected the quote power was on 100 RON. Me thinks it will be a UK Wagon - less obvious on the road @ customers car parks!

Nito
How U planning 320 BHP?

I guess what I'm looking for is a Q car that is reliable and not too bad on tax! Oh and not too noisy at motorway speeds?!

So UK WRX wagon, ECU & Exhaust, Prodrive 330 mm brakes, 18" alloys, Eibachs & geometry set up should do it!

Anybody suggest a better way? Or more effective mods?
Old 19 April 2003, 07:04 PM
hypoluxa
Scooby Regular

Mike,

For that sort of power increase you need to budget for a turbo. Have a look through the Drivetrain section, quite a few options open to you at varying price levels.

A large/er turbo will also allow you to run a lower RON fuel and still give the power figure you want (with appropriate mapping). Worth bearing in mind with the sort of mileage you are covering.
Old 19 April 2003, 08:25 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For a company car I suggest your nearest option would be a UK WRX Wagon with PPP although it will not make 300 BHP. Warranty and parts friendly and will run safely on 95 RON if you have to.

If you need the 300 BHP you will have to compromise- I would get the JDM STi wagon, stick a Miltek sports cat exhaust system on it and remap it for your minimum octane. I did a UK STi saloon on 95 RON, it went well enough but was truly horrible to map on 95 RON with massive compromises on ignition timing.

You could also consider water injection as a method of sparing octane.
Old 20 April 2003, 11:42 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Watch this space,

we're trying for about 320bhp+ from our new age UK wagon!

Rgds
Nito
Need any help with consumer testing
Old 20 April 2003, 12:27 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Cool

I currently have 299bhp with 292lb/ft on a 01 uk engine.

Over the weekend i put some STI7 injectors in ready for my new turbo once the turbo is bolted on it should be good for 360 - 370 bhp

Scott