ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

OK, hands up - who drives like I do??

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2003, 10:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I am just wondering, we see loads of posts about 500BHP, 0-60 in 2 seconds, 325mph Top Speeds, Mods that have cost more than the car did!

How many actually just drive the car like they want it to last beyond the warranty period?? I drive mine spirited sometimes, but mostly it sits at below 3500RPM - the engine has been only driven by me and I know its had a nice easy running in - I have to say that it is now paying off. It's now driving better than ever with a mpg figure up at 27mpg!! which has been unknown until now!

So, how many are gentle with their cars??? and how many give it a damn good seeing to everytime it actually starts for just one more time??

Pete
Old 06 April 2003, 10:41 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I normally keep it around the same, 3 to 3.5 k on the tach.

Until the oils warmed up, then if there's not much in front of me I'll stretch her legs and take it just over 4 or up to 5, but not always on full throttle (but sometimes )

Only very rarely do I go out and act like a nutter. But it's fun to remind yourself sometimes...

I even usually cruise motorways at 70 or 80...! I find I thrash it more when my friends Celica GT4 is infront of me
Old 06 April 2003, 11:00 PM
j_p_h
Scooby Regular

Same as above really never goes above 3 till oils warmed and dosent go above that for 8 to 10 miles. I'll open it up when its safe mainly at night on my way home as there's some lovely country roads with not a soul on lol. It gets its workout then and boy does it get it only harm i could do if i lost it is to a field.
Old 06 April 2003, 11:01 PM
j_p_h
Scooby Regular

Oh forgot to add it gets the odd 1/4 mile day as well.
Old 06 April 2003, 11:08 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

just mind the clutch on the 1/4 mile - got a horrible smell from mine once a few months back and haven't done a standing start from 5k since
Old 06 April 2003, 11:14 PM
whatsisname
Scooby Regular

Inported mine from japan second-hand five years ago,so no running in history known
Drive it enthusiasticly !!
two clutches but other than that has never let me down
Best car I've owned
Not what you asked I know just my 2p worth
John
Old 06 April 2003, 11:15 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

I always let my cars warm up properley, but after the oil is warm I red line it on every possible acceleration, if conditions allow.
I don't see the point in being restrained, I buy fast cars for a purpose: to enjoy them. You sell them on anyway so what is the point of looking after the engine so much for someone else's benefit?
Old 06 April 2003, 11:16 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

PS Lewis wrote,
"how many give it a damn good seeing to everytime it actually starts"

that'll be me then

Andy
Old 06 April 2003, 11:55 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put me down for give it a good seeing to.

David
Old 07 April 2003, 12:55 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

u buy a big huge powerfull 4wheel drive car and then drive it round like a nonse??

er no, not for me thinks
*shrugs head*
by all means let the thing warm up, but then to ponce about keeping it under 3k revs is no worse then them mothers taking there kids to school in a 4x4 monster truck imo
sort it out!
Old 07 April 2003, 01:09 AM
XT
Scooby Regular

by all means let the thing warm up, but then to ponce about keeping it under 3k revs is no worse then them mothers taking there kids to school in a 4x4 monster truck imo

Let the man who payed for his own car decide what's best for it.......
Old 07 April 2003, 01:17 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Pslewis

Remind me. If i ever buy a car, it would be a very good idea to buy it off you.
Its good you take care of the car but i bet you have some crazy days behind the wheel too?

Ray
Old 07 April 2003, 05:06 AM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

I drive it the way it was meant to be driven. To be honest, I see a lot of Scoobies driven in the way Pete likes too - slowly... Once outside of a built up area, why own one if you're going to drive it that way?

Cheers
Old 07 April 2003, 07:28 AM
swan
Scooby Regular

I drive as conditions allow - generally this means max of 4000rpm (if I'm lucky) to work and back. Kinda pointless red lining it to get to the next robot first. Weekends are however another matter...
Old 07 April 2003, 08:05 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Question

Pete, only 27mpg? I'm getting more than that from my RX-7 try easing off on the loud pedal
Old 07 April 2003, 08:06 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Try using 3rd, 4th and 5th gear too Pete
Old 07 April 2003, 08:25 AM
Many Humbug Returns
Scooby Regular

If you never take it over 3000 revs then you never engage any turbo boost - so why did't all you feather-footed ballet dancer types buy a sport?

Old 07 April 2003, 08:32 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I drive it like I stole it. I paid through the nose for a UK car with warranty so i'm going to use it. So far I've had 1 new engine with reciepts for £8k in the 22B so I feel I'm starting to get my moneys worth now I've also had the wheels refurbed under warranty..a little disspointed there though as they came back an even brighter gold than they left
Under the same principle I am drinking heavily most evenings now to recoup some of the taxes I've paid by having a liver transplant on the NHS.
C
Old 07 April 2003, 08:44 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

always wait 15-20 minutes for it to warm up and getted nicely lubbed, depending on weather and traffic i'm usually hitting the 6000 rpm's in 3/4th gears
Old 07 April 2003, 08:51 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

If I didn't go over 3500rpm I'd only be able to go at 66mph on the motorway
Old 07 April 2003, 09:32 AM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

all such heroes, redlining every gear change!! The power drops off just before you hit the red line so you're not getting the most out of her and for pure acceleration you want to keep her in the main torque zone, not the power band at the top. This means between 3 and 5 k, not 6 and 7k. It's a much more rewarding drive on 'real' roads as you get the full kick from the turbo just starting to spool up every time you shift up gear. It's more relaxing too - do you really want to be on the limit the whole time on a public road? You won't stay on the road for ever driving everywhere like that all your life...
Old 07 April 2003, 09:55 AM
mwp
Scooby Regular

i drive mine like i'm chasing an old fart who's stolen my scoob.
Old 07 April 2003, 10:19 AM
yoza
BANNED

All old people drive like you....

My moto "drive it like you stole it",just don't set it alight when you get out of it
Old 07 April 2003, 10:30 AM
KRM
Scooby Regular

Drive it like a race car, you pay for it like a race car. As long as you understand that, drive your car how you want.

Conditions dictate how I drive - sometimes it won't see more than 3K.... sometimes it will I've had 30mpg out of the car before too. Oh, and mine pulls like a train all the way to the redline
Old 07 April 2003, 12:36 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I reckon DBM got it right. There is little point in winding it up to the red line, max poke is about 6250 anyway and if you hang in for longer than that you are losing out in overall acceleration, and putting much higher stresses on the engine. I suppose it depends on how long you want it to last and how much you respect the car really. If you change up at 5-6K you are right at the high torque RPM as you start to pull in the higher gear and get that lovely Scooby surge.

Good idea to let it warm up properly as so many say too.

Les
Old 07 April 2003, 12:46 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Don't assume that redliners are driving scoobies.
Old 07 April 2003, 01:12 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd hate to buy a car off of some of you lot. How do you know how long you're going to keep a car for? How can you time when it will break to coincide with its departure.

I hear that some people on SN thrash the nuts off their cars before a known sale, just for the hell of it. What if it broke on the day the buyer was coming to collect?

Perhaps that's why I buy new.... Some people don't have any mechanical sympathy. Cars have feelings too and they're not just for xmas.

F
Old 07 April 2003, 01:12 PM
KungFuMonkey
Scooby Regular

i generally tootle about in mine at 65 - 70 mph.

Taking it to work and back (70miles round trip) up the motorway not much point in thraching it.

Besides if you thrash your car every day, your garanteed its going to blow at some point. Even high performance cars arent designed to be thrashed continually, same reason race / rally engines need re-built on a regular basis.

jono
Old 07 April 2003, 01:19 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

I have to admit, I'm from the 'big girls blouse' school of driving. I might go above 6k if it's warm, and conditions permit (like yesterday when an S-Type which was following me up a slip road, glued to my tailpipe); but otherwise, I don't get much chance to floor it with all the traffic congestion.

Never managed above 23mpg since tek 2 was fitted, tho'
Old 07 April 2003, 05:57 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

I don't take life too seriously and I wsn't being aggressive. Surely aggressive is thrashing the nuts off your car all the time.

As leslie says why do it all the time? Only shortens the life of your engine and I don't have the money to buy a new car every few years - I've got this one for the long haul. I will get her going, but only on occasion, not all the time.

Dal of the Flat Four club has "NOTHING TO PROVE" written onthe back of his scooby. Surely everyone knows how quick our cars are (scoobies or otherwise) as do we, so why do we have to cane it everywhere. I like the idea of cruising along casually and using a bit of 'lazy' power, rather than going mad with the right boot all the time.

Why get a car like a scooby if you don't drive it on the limit. Cos it's much faster driving it casually than most cars are driven on the limit!

Quick Reply: OK, hands up - who drives like I do??