Sponsored by:

Important info for car modders...

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2003, 07:16 AM
Doggy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the news:

"Major steps to make will make it illegal to modify a car in any way without getting ISO10403 accreditation for every non standard part after it has been fitted only by a qualified automotive engineer.

These new rules are expected to be in place by the end of the year and anyone with non standard parts, or parts fitted by non qualified persons, will be given six months to return their car to standard or face a fine of £1000 per part.

This will include any performance enhancing modifications and also other areas such as window tints, stickers and anything that could adversely affect the manufactures performance and safety specifications.

An insurance spokesman from the AA said: “Its about time we put an end to all the dangerous and life threatening modifications that these young and inexperienced drivers are doing to their cars. It’s clear that the modifications they do are causing more accidents and thefts and therefore pushing up insurance premiums for other more experienced drivers. We have been pushing for this for a long time and will soon refuse to insure anyone even with minor modifications such as alloy wheels and air filters, if they are not fitted by professionals or do not conform to the new ISO standards. The rest of the insurance industry will also follow suit.”

This extreme change comes after pressure to the government from the public against the ‘boy racers’ that ruin their town centre car parks on a weekly basis.
One local said; “If these new laws come into place they will no longer have anything to show off and will hopefully find something else to do.”

The move has also been encouraged by many police forces across the country. When contacted they released the following statement. “We believe this is about time, we want to make modifying a car as socially unacceptable as drink driving and speeding. There is no need to change the way a car looks of performs, that’s down to the manufacture to develop and get right, not bolt on parts from your local Halfords. Soon we will have the powers to immediately stop and ticket any car that we believe has been altered from factory specifications.

All was not good however; the car industry in the UK employs thousands of people, all of which could be at risk of job losses when these new regulations come into force.
“It’s a farce we had no warning about this what are we supposed to do now, it will cost us thousands of pounds to get even a fraction of our accessories approved” said a spokesman for Ripspeed, one of the UK’s largest aftermarket accessory stores. “We have no idea what the other small outlets will do, they will simply go out of business.”

Online and catalogue retailers will also be widely affected. Demon tweeks added: “We are lucky, motorsport makes up a large part of our business, we shall just have to concentrate on this more, it’s a shame that this had to happen. What will it be next?”

The effects could be felt even more widespread however, There will be drastic changes to everything including what we read as the Editor of Max Power said: “Well its hardly a surprise really, everyone knows it was coming, already in other parts of Europe such a France any kind of engine mod has been banned for years, I expect the EU wants to bring the UK into line once again, but we had to go one further didn’t we”

Modders now have until the end of the year to have their cars checked by a chartered engineer, at an estimated cost of up to £200 per car, or face a £1000 fine per modification.”
Old 01 April 2003, 07:18 AM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Old 01 April 2003, 07:19 AM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Welcome to our every-day struggle!

You have MOT - we have Tüv - something which prevents EVERYTHING!!
Old 01 April 2003, 07:20 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Wonder what the date is today . . . .

Other than that it actually sounds like an excellent idea!!
Old 01 April 2003, 07:26 AM
WRX_BLUES
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oh no! I better get my air freshener professionally installed and certified! This is serious! I'm not even sure if my floor mats are compliant! Guess I'd better put it back to standard then. Heh heh! Nice try Doggy!
Old 01 April 2003, 07:48 AM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I do hope this is a wind up however i have something is going to happen along these lines and if it does well all i can say is the goverment are going too
A. lose a lot of revenue from tax
B. Put alot of people out of work
Old 01 April 2003, 07:51 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I can't believe it. I prepared myself this morning for all kinds of news like this..... and I was shaking my head in disbelief.

"How the hell can this happen?"

Then I look at the calendar
Old 01 April 2003, 07:52 AM
jpmason33
Scooby Regular

mmm,

anyone else realise what day it is today?
Old 01 April 2003, 08:07 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Luckily, I am a Chartered Engineer and will gladly look at all your cars for £200 each to declare them 'fit for purpose'.

Steve
Old 01 April 2003, 08:09 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

Wink

Gossy, WTF?!? Go check the dictionary, you will find the word gullible has your picture next to it (double page spread )
Old 01 April 2003, 08:32 AM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

POC you muppet i know it was a wind up i was trying to keep it going
Old 01 April 2003, 09:03 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Talking

you seem to have selected reverse by mistake Gossy
Old 01 April 2003, 09:43 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

"Blue washer LEDs are just one source of particular attention, due to fire hazard. Many young lads just strap the wiring to the battery with no fusing, so may find their pride and joy burned to the ground.

"They also look utterly naff", finished Mr K Kaniff, RAC spokesman.
Old 01 April 2003, 11:58 AM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

Smile

Does that mean I need an ISO cert for my painted 'wedges' ?

J.
Old 01 April 2003, 12:00 PM
siwrx
Scooby Regular

lmao wouldnt be april 1 would it
Old 01 April 2003, 12:24 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Wink

"Major steps to make will make it illegal to modify a car in any way without getting ISO10403 accreditation for every non standard part after it has been fitted only by a qualified automotive engineer"

*cough* hint *cough*
Old 01 April 2003, 03:00 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

can i have yer license & registration sunny lol
Si