Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPI Check: Outstanding finance!!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2003, 05:00 PM
kimera
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buying a scooby, guy bought from new and got finance on car. HPI shows finance outstanding but if i buy car and he uses money for someat else, i get his debt? what can i do to prevent this, he says hes going to pay off finance but thats no guarantee is it?
Old 30 March 2003, 05:11 PM
malvinas
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Don't buy it is the best advice I can give. the finance company could repo it and you would be left with nothing if he doesn't pay them off. Or left buying the car back for thousands more £££s off them.
Old 30 March 2003, 05:15 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

buy the car less the finance settlement figure, then settle it yourself, or go with him to the dealership to settle.
Old 30 March 2003, 05:16 PM
kimera
Scooby Regular

unless i make the cheque/draft out to the finance company?
Old 30 March 2003, 05:17 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Would definitely not hand over any money until the HPI report shows finance clear. Isn't it illegal to sell a car thats still on finance?
Old 30 March 2003, 05:19 PM
Mr.M
Scooby Regular

True, he infact does not have any right to sell the vehicle without settling the finance first.
Old 30 March 2003, 05:22 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Kimera,

Mines HPI clear

Glad you've found a suitable car. I'll just have to keep mine

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 30 March 2003, 05:25 PM
kimera
Scooby Regular

bet your gutted m8 couldnt bring myself to try to prize it off u no just a little cheaper, my belts been tightened (mrs said)
Old 30 March 2003, 05:26 PM
kimera
Scooby Regular

well how the hell r u supposed to clear finance, if u aint got the cash from the sale ?????
Old 30 March 2003, 05:29 PM
kimera
Scooby Regular

could i just make draft out to finance company or should i ring em, but then they might block sale and im sure hes genuine
Old 30 March 2003, 05:36 PM
malvinas
Scooby Regular

I reckon the advice above is the one- pay him the amount for the car less the outstanding finance.
Old 30 March 2003, 05:38 PM
kimera
Scooby Regular

as if, i dont want his crappy finance deal do i, i want my nice new on at low interest!
Old 30 March 2003, 05:44 PM
malvinas
Scooby Regular

use your new finance to pay off his old finance- that was the plan, personally I would pay cash. Finance is a rip off.
Old 30 March 2003, 06:09 PM
Pogue
Scooby Regular

Mr M, that is total b*lls, don't post if you have no idea what you are talking about, it is perfectly legal to sell a car with finance outstanding.

It becomes illegal if he does not pay up after a short period of time (varies between finance companies)
Old 30 March 2003, 08:10 PM
kimera
Scooby Regular

thanks pogue, but this aint getting it any clearer Suppose i better just call HPI and ask them, then call the finance company and ask them. any1 actually done this? im guessing most second hand nearly new cars have finance attached!
Old 30 March 2003, 08:37 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

The guy you are buying off should be able to get a settlement figure in writing. You could then send a cheque to the finance company yourself and clear the finance - that would take a few days. Another way would be to do a chaps payment - not tried this on someone else finance deal myself. That is done within a few hours. Pay the guy the difference and drive the car away.

I certainly wouldnt walk away from the car if it has finance on it as long as the seller declared it from the outset. Most people dont have the cash. I didnt when I have sold my STI 7 and RS4.

I assume you have viewed the car at the seller house and everything else checks out. So dont worry too much.

Jonathan
Old 30 March 2003, 09:03 PM
kimera
Scooby Regular

yep, everything is tickety boo as far as that goes, home address on log book etc he is definately genuine, no questions. Just thinkin of ways to pay off the cash, maybe i could get him to get a settlement figure then i could pay them over the phone by switch or someat!

[Edited by kimera - 3/30/2003 10:05:45 PM]
Old 30 March 2003, 09:45 PM
Pogue
Scooby Regular

Chins has got it spot on.

Old 30 March 2003, 10:02 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

The accepted method for handling this is very simple.

The seller needs to contact the finance company to get his settlement figure. You then both go the finance companies local office, and you pay the outstanding amount on his account, for which you will receive a receipt of payment. Deduct what you have paid to the finance company from the overall price and go the nearest branch of your bank and transfer the balance into his account. Finance company is then happy, you are happy its been paid, and he's then sure he has his cash, take care of the rest of the paperwork and drive off in your new car.

Its a ***** ache going to the finance company's offices, but you'll both be covered this way...
Old 30 March 2003, 10:39 PM
Mr.M
Scooby Regular

The title of ownership will belong to the credit company until they receive full payment or the return of the goods. Therefore he does not own the goods to sell.

I've just checked a number of HP agreements i have and they all say the same thing.

Old 30 March 2003, 11:45 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

This happened to me and this is how i got around it, i also believe that this is almost foolproof. Feel free to point out any flaws though.

Btw, the finance outstanding on my car exceeded the amount i had agreed to pay for it which complicated things even further.

This is what myself and the seller did following agreeing the price i would pay for the car:

1. Seller contacted finance company and got them to send out a settlement figure in writing which i saw.

2. I had a bankers draught made out to the figure myself and the seller had agreed for the car.

3. Seller also had a bankers cheque made out to cover the difference between the two figures.

4. Both cheques were put in an envelope along with a photocopy of the letter from the finace company stating the settlement figure and also a covering letter from the seller to explain.

5. The seller agreed to let me post the letter to the finance company without his supervision although yours may not feel the same way. Tis probably best if you both see the letter being posted.

6. The seller later received a letter of confirmation of payment of the settlement figure from the finace company which i recieved a copy of.

So there you go! Covers all bases (i think ) and no need to go travelling to offices etc. Now go buy the thing and enjoy it!

[Edited by Carl Davey - 3/31/2003 12:48:03 AM]
Old 31 March 2003, 07:18 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

Theres nothing wrong in selling something with finance outstanding MR.M, if you part ex your car which has finance its kinda the same scenario. I was thinking of selling mine (not anymore) and have finance outstanding. How do you think people are supposed to manage if they dont have the funds
Old 31 March 2003, 08:20 AM
malvinas
Scooby Regular

just buy a car off someone who can actually afford to own it. Why mess around with a car someone had on finance? There are plenty of scoobs flooding the market owned by those who can afford them outright. I always feel a bit suspicious of finance cars . I wonder if they can afford to service them properly.
Old 31 March 2003, 08:34 AM
kimera
Scooby Regular

what a stupid comment, dont you think that 90-95% of all new cars are bought on some sort of finance. Who the hell has 22k lying around!

[Edited by kimera - 3/31/2003 9:34:39 AM]
Old 31 March 2003, 08:39 AM
malvinas
Scooby Regular

not really stupid...there are a lot of people whocan afford to do it outright. 22K a lot of cash??? I made a hell of a lot more than that out of the profit on selling some property in the South East. In any case the intelligent would probably use a remortgage/equity release to fund a car purchase .

Stupid comment or not (not I believe) the fact is there are a lot of scoobs out there for sale with no finance attached. If the whole thing seems like a hassle just buy one of them.
Old 31 March 2003, 08:51 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

the intelligent would probably use a remortgage/equity release to fund a car purchase
But then you're paying for your car over the term of your mortgage?

Old 31 March 2003, 08:54 AM
kimera
Scooby Regular

malvina, not all of us are lucky enough to have that kind of cash lying around, should i say. Yes, it would be better to use a mortgage (virgin 1) or similar. You get the cash at a lower rate and you can take it over a shorter term say <25 years and its secured against house rather than car so wont show up on HPI.
Old 31 March 2003, 08:58 AM
malvinas
Scooby Regular

no you don't pay it off over the term of your mortgage- you merely use it as "gearing" against the cost of the car and make your paymentsas normal. You pay of that portion of the mortage early (over payments etc) and the whole thing costs you a lot less than trditional finance.

I realise that not everyone has the cash (personally I wouldnt spend 22K of my cash on a scoob in any case).You can get a nice one for half that these days if you want a classic. The point is there are many cars not on finance so if its a hassle buy one that isn't.
Old 31 March 2003, 11:04 AM
kimera
Scooby Regular

DEFINATIVE ANSWER (JUST DONE IT)

Finance co have no probs with him selling before payment, only becomes a problem if he doesnt pay balance within period set out in his agreement. He calls finance co and tells em whats happnin, they give him a reference, i call with same ref, pay balance by switch, job done. Should both get a letter confirming account is closed and i pay him difference in cash. Finance company release VRM as secured to them, jobs a good'un. Thanks ALL