ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Tiny scratches on my brand new Scooby after the first wash

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2000, 01:12 AM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

After years of company car ownership (i.e. just take it to the car wash - who gives a ****) I HAND-WASHED my brand new Scooby last weekend for the first time. But to my horror today I notices some tiny sctratches all over the paint work. WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG??? Please let me know...

I used luke-warm water with some car shampoo (Rally by Johnson Wax), a sponge, and chamoix leather to dry it.

Is the problem with the products, or with my "washing technique", or both? Or is the Subaru paint not very good?

I would appreciate some "washing tips" or a demo if you are local to me (Richmond / Kingston).

Many thanks in advance!

PS. Almost forgot - any advice how to clean the inner-side of the wheels? I only managed to get to and clean the outside. I am useless, ain't I?

[This message has been edited by Subarussian (edited 13-03-2000).]
Old 13 March 2000, 01:54 AM
millband
Scooby Regular

Red face

I think the Scooby paintwork is crap. I waxed mine for the first time today (it's not been sunny since I bought it!) and noticed loads of scratches, and paint flaking on the front spoiler. It also seems to mark if you don't get the bird poo off in time too....
Old 13 March 2000, 02:06 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

You could always get the car lacquered whilst it's still in reasonably good condition. Steve McCulloch had his STI V treated this way and he says he hasn't had a stonechip since!

Oh, and isn't it time you were in bed Millband?

Moray
Old 13 March 2000, 02:09 AM
millband
Scooby Regular

Sure is mate. Don't we all have work in the morning or something?
Old 13 March 2000, 08:11 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Subarussian-

The tiny scratches you describe were probably there before you even got the car.

Chances are they were caused in the factory or on route, but most likely cause is when your dealer cleaned and then polished the car before you took delivery.

They wouldn't be visible with a coat of polish/wax whatever, but when you washed the car you probably removed most of the wax that was there and the scratches become visible again.

Its doubtful you caused them if you had a clean sponge and lots of water when you washed it.

Unless you're going to polish it after washing and need the car to be completely dry and clean, I would personally give the chamois a miss. The less physical contact the better.

A good blow dry usually does the trick (but make sure the oil is warm first)

D

As for washing tips:

Have two sponges (at least), both clean. Use a hosepipe for rinsing (but not high pressure washer) if possible as this will rinse off most of the bigger bits of grime better than the old watering can technique.

Use 1 for bodywork, starting at the roof and working down, rinsing whole car this way and each panel before washing.

After washing all bodywork, use the second sponge for wheels, sills, tailpipes, wheel arches etc. Remember which sponge is which and never mix them.

Use the best car shampoo you can afford (see other postings for details)and be prepared to empty your shampoo bucket and refill if the water gets too dirty.

[This message has been edited by Diablo (edited 13-03-2000).]
Old 13 March 2000, 08:27 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd suggest you ring Mark Underwood - the Wax Wizard & a sponsor of this BBS. His number is 0800 074 1608.

He has a great product line with some excellent waxes including a specific Subaru wax (which I use). He is also VERY helpful with hints & tips.

Diablo's tips are good.

[This message has been edited by Nick (edited 13-03-2000).]
Old 13 March 2000, 02:05 PM
xyzpaul
Scooby Regular

Smile

So Mark Underwood is the "Waz Wizard"... Anyone else got any personal details they wish to share?
Old 13 March 2000, 02:19 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

As I discovered the Subaru paint work is the worst I have seen on any car.

Within 2 weeks of getting my car, I was starting to cringe every time I heard a stone hit the car, and the leave a very nice white scratch mark!

Water based paint is crap, and I'm afraid we should all be applying at least one coat of laquer.

Thats what I did after 2 weeks (wish I had it done staight away). As Moray says I have not had a stonechip or scratch since last August!

You dont know the lacquer is on, as its a clear coat, and furthermore, you dont have to polish the car either, as the lacquer gives it a permanent polish! - so get down to your friendly body repair garage and see if you get a good price for the lacquer putting on - believe me its the best money I've ever spent on my Subaru!
Old 13 March 2000, 04:29 PM
rupertu
Scooby Regular

Following on from what Steve wrote - I have just had my MY00 car done with Amazing Glaze - and frankly the stuff is the dog's doo-dahs. Cost £61.06 inc VAT and p & p and a mate who does valet part-time to do the job, paid him £100. It actually shrugs off the dirt now, and as I live half a mile up an unsurfaced track, it needs to.

Mail me if you're interested in where to buy it from.

Rup
Old 13 March 2000, 06:02 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Charlie Brown's car wash £1:50 this is all mine gets. You could go for the £4:95 but who wants wax all over there car.

Bob with the shinny car.

[This message has been edited by bob (edited 13-03-2000).]
Old 13 March 2000, 06:31 PM
IainT
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Subarussian,
yeh I know what you mean, I washed mine the day after I got it and noticed each quarter panel had little white scratches, didn't notice them when I picked it up.
Dealer is having them polished out this week.
Get some Subaru wax from Mark its the dogs danglies!
Old 13 March 2000, 07:18 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Agree the painwork is crap. Used Marks products and all swirls have gone and car looks as good as new now.

Cheers
Chip
Old 13 March 2000, 07:39 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Wink

xyzpaul
Waz? Eh?

Bob
I know you mean it too!
Old 13 March 2000, 07:54 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Subarrussian.
I have now cleaned my new car twice, but have not leathered it off due to worries of scratching it, I have however polished it after each occassion in order to build up a good layer of polish. I haven't noticed (and don't want to) any scratches but I have used lots of bubbly stuff in the water, and lots of water don't be scared about getting a hose pipe ban, use plenty iof water.
Ron
Old 13 March 2000, 09:06 PM
Carl Harvey
Scooby Regular

The finish to my MY99 was the best I have ever seen.

I have a friend that upholsters vintage cars and he said the same and he is used to seeing resprays that have cost over £20000.

However, after the first wash I started to see the small scratches, due to the water based paint being soft.

I polished it 3 times straight of to give it a good build-up.

I am only just starting to see scratches again after 6 months.

I guess it's about time to do it again.
Old 13 March 2000, 09:21 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Subarussian

Get yer digits on the dialer and call me Tuesday 14th on 0402 822544 as I'll be around the M25 tommorrow and can meet you and do you a demo to remove the scratches etc.

Mark
Wizard Of Wax