Looking at New STI uk

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2003, 12:05 PM
shrader
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi

I currently own a Civic Type-R , nice car but not Type-r enough for me ..Im a little dissapointed with the spec . I could upgrade it with LSD & Recaros , Exhausts ect... but have come to realize that its not worth spending £3-4k on it.

Ive now been in a STI UK for a test drive and its nothing short of Ausome..and unlike my CTR Im sure the Scoob will handle like this in the Wet too.

What Im after is some good advice on owning a Scooby as it will be my first 4WD Blower... Ive looked at the PPP upgrade pack to 305BHP and the figures are mental...

Ive also read the article in Autocar with the EVO 8 ( Dont like the look) and the PPP'd up STI. I cant believe that a hot hatch ( my CTR included) could keep up with a Scoob over the B roads..?

TA
Old 27 March 2003, 12:26 PM
gareth60
Scooby Regular

Talking

Depends on how hard you drive. A good driver in a CTR would keep up with a Scooby with a average driver behind the wheel.

I had a "boy racer" in a peugeot thingy try to race me away from the lights yesterday. What you have to remember with a turbo'd 4wd is lag and nothing really happens below 3000 rpm. Saying that, once the turbo came in, I spanked his ****. (he was in the wrong lane and trying to cut in front of me )

I personally wouldn't go back to a two wheel drive car unless I have to.

I'm well pleased with my Sti and PPP.

Hope this helps
Gareth.

PS. It WILL be a lot more to run that your CTR, particually in the Petrol department if you have a lead foot
Old 27 March 2003, 01:36 PM
shrader
Scooby Newbie

Thanks :O) Well If Im on it in the Civic Im only getting low 20's for MPG. I can believe that the STI is that bad!!! not as bad as my mates TVR ...that about 15 + MPG on a Sunny day

Old 27 March 2003, 01:43 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Remember the obvious ....insurance!
Old 27 March 2003, 01:48 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

15+ mpg sounds about right in town, low 20's on a good run (many ppl seem to get 250miles from the 60ltr tank) and it will be considerably thirstier than a ctr (and much more expensive for servicing/parts/insurance etc.
You will be amazed how much it will cost you!
Be warned!

Tony
Old 27 March 2003, 01:51 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Most people average low 20's in their scoobs. Get on the pace and well, erm, fuel consumption will make your mates TVR look good.

Recently, over a nice twisty road, did 66 miles on approx 30 litres of fuel, thats approx 10mpg.
Old 27 March 2003, 01:58 PM
shrader
Scooby Newbie

Hmmm Thanks guys , well Im used the high Insurance for my Civic...Grp 17 I think ...the Scoob might be 20 ? not sure.

Running costs or not , to me a car that will out drag a 911 or TVR is worth the bills. Speaking of bills my mates Chim 4.5 has cost him a Fortune. he gets 210 to a tank ( not sure of the size)

The civic is 50Litre and I go from 200 - 275 depending on the drivin. Ive been asured that the 2003 Scoobs are as good as Honda on the Build quality ? My Test drive did re assure me ...no rattle or squeeks ..it felt 100% solid.

Old 27 March 2003, 02:02 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Group 20, and trying to get insured on an STi is hard work, very hard work IMO.

How old are you? (Insurance related)
Old 27 March 2003, 02:10 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
0-60 in under 5 sec....forget the costs ...just enjoy !
Old 27 March 2003, 03:26 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Smile

I went the other way (Scoob to CTR) purely because of ludicrous servicing, insurance & fuel costs on the Scoob. Not to mention the depreciation of the bugeye which was my option at the time.

AWD is fun, but if you have to think about whether you can afford it, you can't.

IMO of course.
Old 27 March 2003, 03:32 PM
PPPMAT
Scooby Regular

I had a CTR and went for WRX+PPP. Performance felt similar but probably quicker. Have STI now and definitely quicker. Insurance shouldn't be that much more on STI (I'm 25 btw). Running costs are generally quite a bit higher though. Its all worth it (whatelse are you going to spend the money on?)
Old 27 March 2003, 03:42 PM
shrader
Scooby Newbie

Im 28 and used to high Insurance, my attitude is that Im looking at 25k to get the Best I can ... looked at S2000 but the STI is all that and more.

I appreciate that the STI will cost more to run , if its less than a TVR or 911 then in my book thats a bargin.

Ive spent Hours looking at the pros and cons and TBH apart from the MPG I cant see any other downsides.

My local dealer is offering and extra 2 yrs warranty with Unlimited Miles if I upgrade from new. ( 5 years in total) Im reasonably convinced that it will last.

Old 27 March 2003, 03:45 PM
shrader
Scooby Newbie

Does anyone know what the PPP pack for the WRX provides... I know the STI has different Brakes and rear Suspension things .....

Old 27 March 2003, 11:07 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Slight change of tack there, Schrader = change of mind? There's a body of opinion which says that WRX/PPP just shades STi unmodded, but STi/PPP wipes out both. It's clear from what you're saying that STi/PPP is what you need. PPP is basically remapped ECU + gasflow changes (including resonator ) + retention of warranty. You can do as well performance-wise if you know what you're doing, for less money but you'll lose the warranty. Highly recommended in the VFM stakes...... difficult to think of better bang-for-bucks. Yes, it's Gp 20 insurance and heavy on the fuel, tho'

Go for it!

Phil

Phil
Old 27 March 2003, 11:18 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Considering its performance the STi is not expensive to own compared with cars of similar performance. An EVO would almost certainly be more expensive to run. To put things into context, my boss who runs a Boxster paid one grand for a routine service plus change of front brake pads.

D.
Old 28 March 2003, 08:56 AM
shrader
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Guys u have been V helpfull ...back for another test drive then :O)
Old 28 March 2003, 10:27 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

As Phil says, the PPP for the STi comprises revised ECU, Exhaust and Fuel pump, and retain the standard STi brakes and suspension.

I used to have a VTi that I loved, but it was every bit as thirsty as any of my Scoobs when pushed. The real difference is on 'normal' driving, where the VTi was far more economical.

Josh
Old 28 March 2003, 11:22 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Ok here goes my 2 cents worth, currently running a bm, before ordering my scoob I looked at a lot of things new 325's EVO's even thought about a Boxster, then I started to look at the prices, decent spec 325 with sport pack and a few other extras 30K, EVO 27K plus the EVO needs more regular servicing and its more expensive to do this, Boxster a good second hand one 3yr old will still cost about 30K or more, horrendous servicing costs, STi type uk 25K reasonable servicing costs, goes like stink and if you get bored with the power output for about 2.5K you can get it tuned by your dealer and keep your warranty, Scooby wins, unfortunately I still have to wait 3 weeks before I can drive mine.
Old 28 March 2003, 12:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

I went from a grp 16 car to a grp 17 car and my insurance doubled
The simple thing is, is that you cannot take insurance groups to mean its just going to cost a little bit more, it depends on alot of variables and even when i got the quote for the above (going from a gti-6 to the scoob) i was 30 at the time
you will be shocked at how much more you will pay!

Tony
Old 28 March 2003, 12:43 PM
forest172
Scooby Regular

I`m 27 and went from a group 16 clio 172 to a sti8 and it`s only £350 more at £1180. Only prob is the £600 tesco`s want if I PPP it.

My biggest problem is the wife`s only 23 and not many insurer`s will put her on the policy tesco`s will, at a £50 discount!!!

So it looks like I`m stuck with a standard STI8 for now!! (I`ll live with that!)
Old 28 March 2003, 04:02 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

my sti7 ppp averages 20 mpg, thats around town, school run and the odd blast, insurance for me, 32, 6 points and 1 claim is £769 from liverpool victoria, servicing is far cheaper than my last 2 scoobs as only once a year or 10k, thats once a year for me, big service is at 3 year old not 2 like my others, cambelt at 5, where as it was at 4 on the p1, 3 on my my97, that was expensive !
Old 28 March 2003, 05:27 PM
shrader
Scooby Newbie

forest172 Mate, are you happy with going to the STI? As a ex 172 owner going from my CTR is the same sort of jump for me.

My reasons for looking at the 03 STI are that I get everthing I want from a car ( Brakes, Performance, seats , safty ect) and I dont have to tune it ...well not straight away... and even if I go PPP is all warranty.

I get a TVR & S2000 Basher for £25k !! and room for 4 people..

:O)

Old 28 March 2003, 07:34 PM
Ministry Maniac
Scooby Regular

Hi all, new to scoobynet

Have currently got a CTR but would like an STI8. The only thing that bothers me is the MPG but as someone said what else are you going to spend your money on! Insurance wise I was quoted £1250 and I'm 24, it costs me £891 for the CTR so not that much different.

I like the CTR but it was just really a stepping stone to a scoob or similar.

Old 29 March 2003, 09:50 AM
forest172
Scooby Regular

Going from the 172 to the STI8 is superb, yeah the 172 was quick. This is due to it`s light weight which is clearly a problem on the build quality. The doors on my STI shut like on my dads A4, and the interior is all what you could want!

Power wise, waiting for the turbo to cut in first is a little bit of a bind (only for a split second), but oh boy once it`s in there all hell brakes loose and it`s much quicker than my 172. Although it feels very refined power delivery compared to the clio, but just watch the speedo and it`s clear how quick you put the MPH`s on there.

Handling & Braking all I can say is SUPERB, taking my time though to get to know how the car handles, `cause all i`ve ever been used to is front wheel drive cars and yeah it`s different. But feels very sure footed indeed. I honestly believe with 261BHP at your right foot 4WD is the way to go. I toyed with a CTR or a FRS but that much BHP 4WD is the way to go, that was my reason which I told the wife anyway!!!

MPG who cares, my clio did 220 miles on £28 and this returns me 220 miles for £37, BUT IT`s WORTH IT!!!!!!

Old 29 March 2003, 10:39 AM
Ministry Maniac
Scooby Regular

What are the service intervals on the STI8 now? Are they 10000miles/12months or are they closer together than this?

forest172, do you find you get a lot of attention from the local max power brigade or do they tend to leave the Scoob alone? This won't affect my decision to buy a scoob as I am use to it with the CTR, but I am sure that rear wing is like a red rag to a bull!
Old 29 March 2003, 03:46 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

You do get use to driving around the lag, funnily though my classic drives with almost no lag what so ever and feels more like a V8 (a mates quote not mine ). Power from 2,500 all the way to 7,500 rpm (not been brave enough to go to the 8250 limiter )

Not driven an STi8 yet, may pop down the dealers and have a go just for a comparison purposes.
Old 29 March 2003, 04:49 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

MM
10,000/1Yr

Phil