Trackday recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2003, 06:08 PM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Never done one.

Any recommendations as to a good session to go to, unfortunately I didn't have my scoob when EVO ran their early year 'trackday introduction' days.

I also don't own any trackday equipment (such as helmet etc.) so my preference is for a 'taster' session (if one exists) where I can try out the trackday experience without having to shell out lots of £££'s before I know that is it something I will want to do again (although I'm sure I will want to!)

Thanks.
Old 19 March 2003, 06:16 PM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

the Nurburgring in Germany- it was my first ever track day and the best track I've ever been on. You are free to go as fast or slow as you wish and its just like driving onto a multi storey car park- you buy your ticket, put it in the barrier and away you go. Perhaps not the easiest way to start but as long as you are sensible I don't think it is unsafe.
Old 19 March 2003, 06:56 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Bedford is great as a first track day.

Have fun,

David
Old 19 March 2003, 06:58 PM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

Scooby-New: Yeah, really fancy that...can you just turn up and drive after paying for your ticket?

Shark: Bedford, as in the Autodrome? Do they hire Helmets out when you are there?
Old 19 March 2003, 07:08 PM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

yep you just turn up pay 12€ and away you go! Over 20KM of unbelievable track. Do your research before you go- spectate and particpate. The ring is the most complete "track day" you will ever go to and the scariest! I saw some of the most awesome road cars there racing each other too.
Old 19 March 2003, 07:47 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Silverback,
Bedford good tarmac ( old airfields can be harsh on tyres) lots of run off only two armco barriers to worry about( both very easy to avoid) all in all a very nice circuit I seem to remember it was about £50 for the day with £40 refunded on return of Helmet.
Just take it steady for your first one, slow in and faster out 20-30 mins stints you and your car will both get hot and tired. let everything cool for 30-40 mins. Oil, water, petrol and tyre( +25% ish) checks.
Donington is also quite good. Oulton,maybe too many hard thing to hit. IMHO

Scoobynew,
Yes my first trip to the ring May bank Holiday cant wait
Old 19 March 2003, 08:05 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

The nurburgring is NOT a trackday, please dont treat it as one. There are specific days you have access to the circuit, and on those days the road is subject to all German road laws. It is not a place to take a novice track driver to, to find what there car can do, for that use a normal trackday at a UK circuit.

Please read http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/ if you are interested in visiting.
Old 19 March 2003, 08:14 PM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

thats right the 'ring isn't a track day in the normal sense- however it is the ultimate in tracks and was a great place for me to have my first experience- respect the 'ring don't fear it!
Old 19 March 2003, 08:31 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I'm hoping take the Scoob to Castle Combe with a mate (and his Westfield) for my first track day. Anyone driven that track? What's it like for a 1st time out?
Old 19 March 2003, 08:34 PM
met
Scooby Regular

i took my scoob on the evo beginners day thing & it was excelent really good cfm too, i will def be doing some more this year
Old 19 March 2003, 11:49 PM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to try and book one of the Bedford sessions in a few weeks time, certainly before I venture any where near the 'ring!

I think EVO are going to try and get some more introductory trackdays orgainsed, so I think I'm going to try and go for one of those as well.
Old 20 March 2003, 12:22 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Fatman,
Castle Coombe ain't bad just be careful coming past pit exit, you climb up bank to slight lefthander into an unsighted hairpin right. The car goes very light and braking/cornering can go very badly wrong.
So the same as any new circiut take it easy and try not get sucked into racing and going beyond you or your cars capibility. most importantly you drove the car there it is always nice to drive it back home remember to enjoy the day

Tony
Old 20 March 2003, 12:40 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think the Jonathon Palmer track (Bedford) is an excellent track to start on. Not the Bedford airfield. As mentioned before there is a small section of armco, but nothing else really to hit Large grassy run off areas, if it does go all wrong If you do a SIDC day there are usually instructor like Rob Mac, who is a very good instructor and will assist you to do four wheel power slides, etc.

The comments on Castle Combe are correct, the hump before the corner while your hard on the brakes do make the car go very light, so you need to be concentrating....

The main thing to remember is don't go faster than you feel comfortable with!! Start off slow and you will be surprised how quickly you find the limits of the car

First time I did a Jonathon Palmer driving experience day (few years ago at the Airfield in Bedford, the old site) I drove an Impreza STi (first time in an Impreza) with bold tyres in the wet on concreat. Rob sat next to me smiling, I was loving it and driving right on the limit. Rob said "Do you fancy going sideways" I said "I do" he leant over flicked the steering and we were completely sideways in a four wheel power slide. When I finished the session I decided that I wanted an Impreza

Cheers Phill C
Old 20 March 2003, 08:56 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

of course Jonathan Palmer has stated on here SIDC/Subaru's are not welcome at his facility. He tends to swear a lot at the mention of the word Subaru too. allegedly.
Old 20 March 2003, 09:16 PM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

Really?

All I'll have is an un-molested (well maybe PPP'd) WRX, surely that won't be in any danger of causing problems?
Old 20 March 2003, 10:35 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I was at the Beford Autodrome a few weeks ago. 3 or 4 scoobs there, they weren't asked to leave or given any grief.

Best thing about bedford is going 100mph through a bend and losing the back and spinning with tyre smoke everywhere (you could see and smell it all the more with the top down ) and ended up on the grass all nice and safe Exhilarating so I did it again

Only one corner to worry about with large banking/armco but I played it safe on that corner as there are more and better corners to play with!

I wanna go again but am awaiting a suitable date/price/organiser etc.
Old 21 March 2003, 12:33 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Draco,

I have assumed that we, SIDC are all banned so won't bother to apply to go

Tony
Old 21 March 2003, 10:25 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice Phil/Tony. I've really looking forward to doing my first track day. I'm hoping that if this and a couple more UK track days go well, to go visit the 'Ring later this summer. We'll see... One stage at a time!

Yes, I did read the comments about the "Bedford Incident". Shame... it sounds like an ideal track for novices. My Scoob's not heavily modded (Scobysport centre decat/BB) but I've absolutely no idea if it'd pass a noise test on track. I don't think the car's excessively loud, but I think my neighbours do.
Old 21 March 2003, 10:41 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

So what happened with SIDC and Jonathon Palmer ??

Cheers Phill