Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You Can Drive the Prodrive ATD car this friday!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2003, 11:26 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi All

Damian Harty (chief vehicle dynamics engineer at prodrive) has given away 2 places to drive the ATD Scooby at prodrive's test track this friday.

One place went to Edcase, and the other to Carl.

Carl, cannot make it, and has gracefully asked us to auction his place for charity. Damian would like the charity to be Cancer Research.

So... Can we start the bidding at £100?

Bidding will close (unless circumstances mean it would be more beneficial to extend them) at 10:00am this Wednesday (ScoobyNet time), so any posted bids prior to that time will be considered.

You will need to be available to come along on Friday - probably morning, to Fen End, near Warwick.

All the best

Simon
Old 17 March 2003, 11:32 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bid 110.
Old 17 March 2003, 11:34 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Simon,

I'll start the bidding at £100
Old 17 March 2003, 11:49 AM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

any particular conditions ? is it a private track?
Old 17 March 2003, 01:26 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Hi Chaps

It's a private track. Tarmac based on an airfield.

All the best

Simon
Old 17 March 2003, 01:30 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Its at the Prodrive Live facility

Old 17 March 2003, 02:34 PM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

Old 17 March 2003, 02:35 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

£150
Old 17 March 2003, 02:44 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Wink

I bid £...... oh, no, wait!

Just posting to click 'notify'
Old 17 March 2003, 02:55 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Would be nice if whoever gets it could take a digital camera and post up a report for us. Perhaps an article in True Grip, if the lucky winner is a SIDC member?
Old 17 March 2003, 02:56 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Carl, speak to John. Already doing it, providing its ok with Prodrive.

ed
Old 17 March 2003, 03:00 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

[Edited by P20SPD - 3/17/2003 3:01:14 PM]
Old 17 March 2003, 04:20 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Damn. Being estranged and a student, I can't really afford more than 110 at the moment. I'd love to do it as it involves my finals project directly. Oh well, if the other guys are a no go, count me in..

[Edited by Katana - 3/17/2003 4:21:16 PM]
Old 17 March 2003, 06:48 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

ttt
Old 17 March 2003, 08:17 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Group buy any1?
Si
Old 18 March 2003, 12:18 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Back to the top...
Old 18 March 2003, 01:56 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Simon, might be a good idea locking this thread to the top of general until the deadline?

I'm guessing this is gonna be like Ebay with lots of sporadic bidding in the last few minutes. If anyone from London wins, you get a free lift there and back thrown in

ed
Old 18 March 2003, 02:32 PM
CLANDER
Scooby Regular

I am thinking about bidding as happen to have this Friday off work, just awaiting the last minute bidders!

I realise this is one hell of an opportunity, but do you think it is better suited to an experienced driver who would know what the hell is happening to the car? I haven't even done a rally school drive before so wondered if Prodrive would get fed up with me driving like a pansy! I've read Simon's initial report from a few weeks back and I don't understand half of it!

Please don't blast me!
Chris.
Old 18 March 2003, 03:11 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Question

Can we please have a definate end of bid date and time. Having a fuzzy one isnt in the slightest bit helpfull when you have to clear time off with your boss. They tend to want to know when you can make a decision!

Can you give more info on how long in the car and how free to really drive it to the limit we will be given. I dont want to bid on something and then find out it was a 5 minute tootle, if i am going to bid i want to be able to nail it and really find out what it can do.
Old 18 March 2003, 04:34 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

John

This is a simple case (which we are very lucky to be offered in the first place) of being able to drive a development car that you would otherwise not even be able to look at.

I would *imagine* that Damian will allow the person who does this to drive it to the point that he feels comfortable that they are in control. I am not going to insult him by placing demands on him for an itinerary in order for someone to be able to assess value for money on a charitable thing such as this.

If this is not suitable for you, I suggest you don't bid and let someone who will genuinely enjoy the experience and be happy to give the money.

This was originally offered to carl free of charge. Carl has been generous enough to offer his place to another scoobynet member in return for a donation to charity. It is not a simple business transaction.

I'm trying hard to be sure this does not come across as an attack John. Just trying to make it as clear as possible. Please let's keep this thread positive so that we can raise as much money as possible for charity and allow someone to have a really positive experience out of it.

---

In response to another question re : should a "good" driver do this? The ATD system is designed for the average driver and to make a car more controllable. Plus, in my experience, people who think they are not "good drivers" tend to be a lot better than those that think they are god!!

All the best

Simon
Old 18 March 2003, 04:44 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

can you please answer my questions, i just want a rough idea on what i may be buying. Is this going to be a 5 minute, i sat in a prototype car, or are we getting a proper go at it? I didnt ask for a detailed itinery.

You didnt answer my question on when the deadline WILL be either.

Thanks
John

Old 18 March 2003, 05:04 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Hi John

Honestly, mate, I'm not trying to be awkward.

You're not *buying* anything. You are making a donation to charity. Nobody will profit.

I don't know how long you will get in the car.

Apologies for forgetting about the deadline question. I would think, that the deadline will be as stated, but if some unforseen circumstances mean it has to be extended, I wanted to reserve that from the outset just in-case.

All the best

Simon
Old 18 March 2003, 06:10 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

I can see John's point though £200 is £200 even though its for charity, you need to know what your gonna get for your money. If its only gonna be 5 minutes fine......at least people know.
Old 18 March 2003, 06:22 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Unfortunately I don't have that information. Damian is away from his phone.. probably gone home for the day.

A number of people have bid already on the information that was given.

This was not something that was originally set up as being a "paid for" thing or even a charity thing.. it has just transpired that carl is giving up his place, and has offered it up for charity. Damian would like any money to go to Cancer Research. That's just how it all happened.

It's a little dis-heartening that this thread has come to this kind of discussion. It *could* make Damian wish he hadn't bothered.

I am pretty sure whoever gets this will have a stunning time. They will get to see Prodrive's test facility, meet Damian Harty, be driven in and ACTUALLY DRIVE the prodrive ATD test car. That may be for 5 minutes, may be for half and hour, I really don't know. But it would be a shame to spoil it and make people wish they had just said "forget it... if you can't make it, nobody else will be able to".

Carl earnt his "go" on merit, by asking outstanding questions in the Damian Harty thread. This is just another way that Damian is willing to offer a "go" to someone else.

If I had all the information, I would let you know. Unfortunately I don't, and I respect the people who have bid already as they clearly feel happy about the money they will be giving to charity and also about the fact that they are going to get to do something very few people are able to do.

The bottom line is. We have the information that has already been posted in this thread to hand. We don't have any more. There is a chance we MIGHT have more before 10:00am tomorrow, but I would doubt it.

If the experience described so far is enough of a "special thing" that you would like to do it, and you can afford / are willing to give money to charity, then go for it, and I will be thrilled to see that person here on Friday. If not, wait until you have the opportunity to buy an experience you will be able to quantify 100% contracturaly. It won't however be a drive of a one-off test car, developed by the motorsport arm of the marque we are enthusiastic about.

Just have fun, enjoy giving the money to charity, and enjoy a potential once in a lifetime opportunity. Then respect and admire carl's generousity, and Damian's progressive attitude and willingness to support us as a community.

All the best

Simon
Old 18 March 2003, 06:32 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Come on guys, show us your money!!

People pay £100's for just a few laps in a Ferrari. But this car is unique, a one off prototype of a device that could well revolutionise performance cars in the next few years.

As far as I know, very, very few people have even seen the car let alone driven it. So cough up
Old 18 March 2003, 06:41 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yup, I paid £170 to drive the 355 at Goodwood. The first time I *ahem* provoked the rear end I was told off for wearing out the tyres Turns out the car is someones road car that he lets them use to earn back some of its depreciation. I don't expect Prodrive has such concerns.

Passenger laps were awesome though, and I expect passengering Damian, regardless of his self-deprecating remarks on his skills, will be worth the price alone. I personally wouldn't sell my place for love nor money, it's a pretty special opportunity.

Ed
Old 18 March 2003, 06:49 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Simon, this is a simple personal request to judge whether it is worthwhile for me personally to make a decent bid on. Sitting in a development car and taking a look at it isnt all that interesting for me personally, i have done that kind of thing a hundred times over with race/rally cars.

If i can really drive it hard, then that would be something very special, for me, and would be worthwhile paying for. There is no deap and meaningful agenda other than that. If you cant answer the questions then fine, thats all you had to say, there was no need to start going into a drama about keeping the thread a positive thing, i was just asking a simple question for my benefit to help me make a decision, £160 or whatever is a lot of money for me, so it has to be worthwhile. I hope you can see that.
Old 18 March 2003, 07:01 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

I can see that mate.

I don't have the information you want. Sorry.

If you are happy to go for it on the information we have, then please bid away, otherwise it may just not be for you.

All the best

Simon
Old 18 March 2003, 07:12 PM
londonpaul
Scooby Regular

I would wet myself to do this but (i) I'm in Japan and (ii) I'm ashamed of my crap driving
Old 18 March 2003, 07:28 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

It's a little dis-heartening that this thread has come to this kind of discussion. It *could* make Damian wish he hadn't bothered.
It's starting to make me wish I hadn't bothered
Some people bid over £100 to support SDB's world record attempt, and they didn't even get to sit in the car....let alone drive it.

[Edited by carl - 3/18/2003 7:28:43 PM]

Quick Reply: You Can Drive the Prodrive ATD car this friday!!!!