ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Formula 1 Countdown.......

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2000, 04:32 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

My hibernating interest in F1 is awakening again after the winter.

Seems like a more interesting season is in store with new boy Button for us Brits to get behind, although I worry about that BMW engine which is apparently underpowerd and overweight.

I reckon Ferrari or, rather Schumi, will do it this year, for the drivers, with the Maccas the constructors.

One thing i won`t be doing this year is attending Silverstone, after 4 years on the trot i just can`t face the crap conditions, the traffic and the rip off prices anymore.

Last year I also went to Monaco which was a much more civilsed event and you could get much nearer the cars as well.The flights are more dear this year as its in June rather than early May or whatever and I think EasyJet have wised up to the GP also. Last year the flights were a bargain if you booked ealy on the net.

I might drive down this year instead.

I `d be interested in other members thoughts on the coming season.

Here`s to the scream of a V10....

Adrian
Old 07 March 2000, 05:16 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I must say that I, too, am looking forward to the season. However, your comments with regards to Monaco have given me an idea. How possible is it to organise a driving trip there to watch the Grand Prix? Is this a feasible task? I think it would be an awesome experience, for me at least.
Cem
Old 07 March 2000, 05:46 PM
Philip Thurlow
Scooby Regular

I am hoping to go to the Austrian GP - great scenery and ohh yes sir suits you sir mountain passes and ooh yes them harpins sir ! ooh - now that would be a destination for a scooby trip
Old 07 March 2000, 06:41 PM
dumpsonscoobs
Scooby Regular

If Jaguar are running the Cosworth engine does that mean that I will still be looked down upon by you snobby scoob drivers for having a blue oval?
Surely we have more class than your Hyundai replicas?

Cant wait for the outcome of the fisrt grandprix - will our boy coulthard finally have an answer to Hakkinen, doubt it!
Old 07 March 2000, 07:00 PM
Philip Thurlow
Scooby Regular

I heard sommat funny on the radio tonight on the way home - it said that Johnny Herbet has claimed that he is going to be quicker that good old playboy eddie yeah right !
oh a quick tip - dont eat your pancakes when typing - all the keyes get all sticky - how many have you had ?
Old 07 March 2000, 07:23 PM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

I heard that subaru are entering a car for the next season as well. Its driven by Stef and has the obligatory sheep dog in the passenger seat to aid after market sales to like minded individuals.

The entertainment factor will be high.

Quite

StevenRW
Old 07 March 2000, 07:27 PM
Philip Thurlow
Scooby Regular

My sheepdog called Monty would like to sign up for the above job wouldnt you Mont ?
*woof wooof* awww he's begging now - come on please let him have the job
Old 07 March 2000, 07:33 PM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

hell have to roll around in mud first. You know, its an image thing. Marketing. Relating to the customers, wants and needs. The estate version isn't for those with more dogs as u may have thought, its for those who are married. Its not like a subaru driver would give priority to the wife before the sheep dogs?

StevenRW
Old 07 March 2000, 07:41 PM
Philip Thurlow
Scooby Regular

I can see another posting in the style of a trunk monkey coming along soon ! hehehe
Old 07 March 2000, 07:42 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

cant wait for the season to get up and running. As regards to david coulthard, i have to admit it, it was me that wrecked his career. I kicked his *** in a kart race at silverstone at the end of 95 after he had just signed for McLaren. He has been pants ever since.

The boring sod wouln't even shake my hand afterwards
Old 07 March 2000, 07:42 PM
dumpsonscoobs
Scooby Regular

From the adverts Scoobs like nothing better than a big freezer in the back. Good mod for Stef to keep him cool under pressure instead of getting up close and personal with walls.
Good luck with the paint match
Old 07 March 2000, 10:06 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Cem

I would be a nice drive down to Monaco but probably pretty awful once we were there in terms of parking and traffic.I` ve a friend who has a flat overlooking the Loewes hairpin
part of the circuit, he has underground parking for his cars only. Things aren`t too easy if you dont have Monagesque plates I understand. If you do the cops and traffic authorities let you do what you like withinn reason, otherwise they`re not too keen.

It s still worth thinking about though, and possibly a trip to Spa too: I ve got to seee Eau rouge in the flesh so to speak, it s got such a rep and I love it when Jacques tries it flat every qualifying!

Adrian

Old 07 March 2000, 10:12 PM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

spa sounds excellent. I like the idea of the hungaroring as a circuit for viewing too.

StevenRW
Old 08 March 2000, 09:39 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

I think that Spa is one of the best circuits to spectate at - I've been four times. Seeing the drivers go through Eau Rouge during qualifying is simply awesome. Grandstand ticket prices are pretty steep, but then aren't they all?. I'm thinking quite seriously about going back again this year.... If I can wangle the free tickets again

Go Ralf and Jensen!

Old 08 March 2000, 09:49 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

How can anyone think that Coulthard stands a chance when the man is simply rubbish? (I know he is better than me before anyone adds that).

Apparently, the new ferrari is streets ahead of last year and is officially half a second slower than the mclarens. In ferrari talk that means they are either in par or quicker.

I think Michael is going to finally win in a ferrari.

ps. I know most people hate the man for cheating but can anyone honestly say that he is not without doubt the greatest living F1 driver.
Old 08 March 2000, 10:14 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hmmmm Simply Rubbish?

So, like, passing Schumacher at Sepang last year is simply rubbish?

I DONT want to start another who is better than who debate, but lets not start making sweeping statements now people.

(And yes, I'm sure he's better than you too )

D
Old 08 March 2000, 10:53 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
i am sure david is a much, much better driver than me, i bloody hope so or he is buggered.
He is a very sore loser though, i was totally chuffed to beat him and was very disapointed in his reaction, especialy considering it was a fun event.
My statement was meant in jest by the way.
the one thing that strikes me about david is i can't remember him ever doing something exceptional, in his pass in malasia he had absolutely nothing to lose, if he had crashed with shuey, McLaren would have loved it.
As for his tacticks in japan, bloking shuey whilst being overtaken when a few laps down, he lost all the tiny respect i had left for him. It was not the same situation as shuey slowing mika down in malasia, that was a legitimate thing to do as it was for a racing possition.
Old 08 March 2000, 11:05 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I dont see it as a who is better than who debate. The man overtakes someone ewho is the best in the world once, and that make him worthy. I think not.

As far as I am concerned, many F1 drivers in the same car would have outperformed him on most occasions, he is just arrogant enough to think that cos he is one of the four of the top two teams he obviously has the right to think he can mix it with them. Rubbish.

What made me laugh.....

After the run in with schumacher, there was a private meeting in which Schuey slagged him down to the ground. He then came out of the meeting, went crying to the press telling them exactly what schumacher had said about him (quite rude) and that he was going to sue him for slander and libel. Odd that, as the only one who had publicly slagged off Coulthard by mouth and on paper was Coulthard himself. Schumacher would not have been that ignorant.
Old 08 March 2000, 01:27 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Bernie has sold 37.5% of his F1 business for a cool 1 billion american dollars this week.