Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh No! 1 mile in new STI8 then back to garage!

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2003, 04:38 PM
Andy Gough
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I collected my new STI8 this morning. Straight away we heard a metallic rattle coming from the left hand side rear parcel shelf area.

Took it straight back to the dealer who agreed that it was so loud the radio couldn't hide it!

Three and a half hours later, it was still in the workshop while they tried to identify the source.

I had to leave it and come home in the car I had just part ex-ed for the Scooby.

What could it be - they have had the rear parcel shelf to bits, the seats out etc.

I'm a bit pi**ed off, as you can imagine.

Sympathy please.
Old 08 March 2003, 04:39 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

Gutted for you m8 Don't know what it could be though.
Old 08 March 2003, 04:44 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

Stick a Firestorm on it mate. Noise gone then !

Hope they fix it soon for you, must be very frustrating

Old 08 March 2003, 04:53 PM
Andy Gough
Scooby Regular

I've just spokento the dealer. They think its the two torsion springs that makes the bootlid swing open. I noticed that the lid is 'lazy' when released and has to be helped into the fully open position.

Do bootlids fitted with the big rear spoiler open fully or not?

Anyway it looks like Monday night before I get it back at the earliest. Marvellous! There goes my weekend of running it in.
Old 08 March 2003, 04:58 PM
philgr
Scooby Regular

My STi8 Boot lid does not open fully it has to be lifted to the fully open and held there,
I tried to put some stuff in yesterday and nearly cracked my head when the lid came down on me ;(

Phil G
WCSR
Old 08 March 2003, 05:28 PM
Tboner
Scooby Regular

No problem with Mine at all since January !

Which dealer , there PDI and test does not seem very clever they must have test driven the car after it had its PDI and 4 wheel alignment done. ?
Old 08 March 2003, 05:46 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

My money's on a washer in the boot lid.
Is the spoiler after market? If so, it's really easy to lose a washer in the two metal layers making up the boot lid. Once lost, they can fall down the side so they are in the vertical bit (assuming boot closed).
If not, it's probably the seatbelts. Mine have rattled since new but the stereo/exhaust does a grand job of drowning it out.

If you're the type of guy that is easily irritated by a rattle or two, perhaps you should have bought German

Paul
Old 08 March 2003, 06:00 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Must admit the boot lid on my classic is scarey, seems to be on a very strong spring. Takes about 0.0001 seconds to reach the top, very quick . Mind due its not ally but is very very light.
Old 08 March 2003, 07:02 PM
Andy Gough
Scooby Regular

If they disconnect the two torsion bars the rattle stops.

I can accept the odd rattle, but this is a serious constant RATTLE.

Even the dealer said he can't understand how it got thru PDI. The guy that carried out the PDI is in for a kicking come Monday.

The Dealer, Robinsons of Rochdale(I'm dealing with Mathew, son of the owner) said it's terrible. He has offered to do the first service completely FOC, and do a PPP @ better than cost. I didn't even have to ask, so he must feel bad, given how cheeky most dealers can be.

How much is 'cost', and what is the labour content, cos I don't want to be paying for that, do I?

Is this a record for the shortest time between taking delivery and back to the workshop for a couple of days? Looking like at least Monday night, poss. Tuesday at the moment.

Miffed off. You bet.
Old 08 March 2003, 07:17 PM
TomGti-6
Scooby Newbie

sorry to hear about your props mate.

only 999 miles to go braking it in
Old 08 March 2003, 07:20 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Andy these things happen but for me it would be how the dealer, deals with it which is the important thing. Things do go wrong and get missed, only human but it sounds like they are going to sort it and are trying to make it up. At the end of the day you will forget the problems and enjoy the car and have a few bits cheaper .

I always seem to have problems buying cars, insurance, private plates, tax discs, registration documents, alarms, ice, trackers, waiting for bits to come in and be fitted etc etc etc.

I just nod when the dealer says, it will be ready Friday as I know something is bound to crop up. Seems happen whichever dealer I have brought off in the past. Must say when I brought my first scoob it was the best buying experienced I had.

Old 08 March 2003, 08:22 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Smile

Andy

Your first service, you only pay the labour charge (usually about £50), and it's little more than an oil change.
As for PPP, I have no idea what it costs the dealer(£1200 maybe?) but I can't see it taking much more than an hours labour to fit it.
Still, anything for nothing is a bonus and I hope this is the last trouble you have with your STI

Paul