Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Buying a Impreza WRX post Import - Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2003, 06:06 PM
jamieyazoo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to buy a Silver Imreza WRX 5dr Hatch. M reg 1994 60,000 miles. Was an import by its owner. A few unusual things, and no offence intended to P. at all, he has been exceptionally helpful, just wondered if anyone had any advice.

Car has no previous Service history, but all history in UK, but not at Subaru. Milometer has been altered and signed over to Miles. Okay, no biggy, just need paper work.

Car has an STi front and light bonnet, which is not standard or available till later. I take it this is a standard Jap Mod? Has mod down pipe, big exhaust. These were on when he bought it, boost guage added later.

Price is 6k, as he needs it and thats all I can afford!

Am I possibly biting off more than chew?

Due to arrange AA/RAC inspection (condition of loan).

Insurance are being a bit shirty but hoping to sort that out tommorow.

I do drive a lot of miles though, aprox 70 a day.

I think the cars amazing, but is it practical? Did I say that? I mean affordable. Are Imports easy to resell if I get into fuel cost trouble?

Help most apreciated.
Old 09 February 2003, 06:10 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

It has no service history as most imports come over with no service history so thats nothing different.

Insurance, check out some of the insurance topics in the insurance forum. Try Tesco but you need to fit a tracker.

Sounds like a nice car
Old 09 February 2003, 06:19 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

try www.elephant.co.uk
Old 09 February 2003, 07:06 PM
jamieyazoo
Scooby Newbie

Interior looked like M age, but milage is a factor. Exterior is good. Engine bay was so,so. Said he'd fixed a power steering leak, but could still smell burn off, but said had receipt of repair. Also says came with dead hard suspension and fitted standard to cope with scottish equivalent of "roads".

Does have Toad Tracker and Thatcham Cat 1 installed though! Bonus!

Worry is STi front end. And the sticker added to the back! But he was quick to say it is not as it seems....

Am I being daft and looking at a car that has been imported with xxx KM and then had a new Miles from o added? However it did have a poor MPH sticker over the kmh bit of the dash?

So at the end of the day, it shifts like stink, its only 6k, compared with younger or similar UK at 8k to bad 7k cars.

Is it likely to be worth anything at 120000 miles on an M in 2006?
I could buy an Jag Xj6 for this money!
Old 09 February 2003, 09:22 PM
Bullet Boy
Scooby Regular

Then the rest of the money keeping it on the road! The car sounds nice, get it checked and if mechanically and structually sound, it sounds like a nice car. It comes with a few nice extras too and a good price. A WRX is great fun,far quicker and more grounded than a Jag!.

[Edited by Bullet Boy - 2/9/2003 9:25:06 PM]
Old 09 February 2003, 10:53 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Dont bother, there are some proper ones about, if theres any doubt then dont, for the last few years ive bought off dealers, any probs then go back and give em grief.
Old 09 February 2003, 11:21 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

I'd be tempted to shop around. Sounds like a nice car but maybe a bit up on price though. Also check on the aluminium bonnets cos they may be lighter but also dent easier ( if thats what you meant by light bonnet!).

But as long as you get it inspected by AA/RAC or a good mechanic then youve done as much as you can towards making sure it sa pukka car.

They aren't cheap to run, but are well worth it believe me!

A Jag! Ugh what a horrid thought! Like Driving a couch except a couch handles better!

Seriously, good luck with your scoob hunting, hope you get a good un.

Take care,

Cal
Old 10 February 2003, 08:50 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

I bought an imported '94 WRX with 78,000kms on the clock.

I checked the VIN plate against the list on the SIDC FAQ - http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm.

There was also some heavy flooding in Japan about 3 years ago and a lot of damp cars headed overseas - so I checked our local list at http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/vehicle_safe...t_car/vin.html.
There may be a similar list maintained in the UK.

Also had the vehicle AA checked - specifically asked for a compression test report (...'we don't usually do those, sir ...').

Rang the AA Inspector after the check and asked for his 'off the record' comments on the vehicle ... and comments on the asking price.

Checked over the general condition of the vehicle - did it seem well looked after, or thrashed? It had a turbo timer fitted so from that I assumed the previous owner knew how to look after the engine.

Anyway, had the vehicle now for 18 months and still runs well (50,000 kms later).
Old 10 February 2003, 12:59 PM
jamieyazoo
Scooby Newbie

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think its a goer and await RAC inspection.

VIN checks against Jap production run does not differentiate between Vin as to weather this was an STi or not. How can I tell?
Old 10 February 2003, 02:52 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

If it gas a Jap aftermarket exhaust on it. They are not stainless can start blowing at that age. So get that checked out.

Heat shields also also rattle.

Powersteering reseviours are of poor design and can leak. That may be the cause of the smell. Worth replacing with a later version.

Has it had a 4pot brake upgrade. If not hang out for one that has. The origional two pots are a weak point and you will want to upgrade. best way to do this on a budget £600-700ish is fit second hand STI 4 pot calipers with Pagid Blue pads and Grooved discs.

The coolant hose that comes out of the radiator at the left top can get cracks in it on cars of this age.

A must - Make sure it has had the right oil and petrol put in it regularly.

The coolant reseviour at the top can also be a bit problematic/leaky and get brittle.

I am sure that 93/94WRX has a closed deck bock, which is good (correct me if I am wrong on this anyone!)

You will really get through tyres. Fit Goodyear F1s or Toyos they are defo the best for the Scoob. So find out where you can get a good deal on these.

Best wishes
Steve

Personaly I would buy an enthusiats car which has had the brake and handling upgrades done to it already.

After all that Go for it as they are great cars.

Old 02 September 2003, 06:17 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

A bit hard to say as i dont know the car, i wouldnt pay 6k for a 95 5dr import, most uk 95s would have done over 100k now so at 60k it should look near new inside, ive just looked at and walked away from a 5dr 94 UK at £3500 with supposedly 50,000 looked really well on the exterior with a 99 front end??? but no way had it done 50k, more like 150+ looking at wear on interior, if they had advertised at 150k then it would be different
an import would be quicker tho
its a buyers market = offer 5K

[Edited by LeeMac - 2/9/2003 6:21:49 PM]