Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Scooby owners as bad as the GTI-R people?

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2003, 10:06 AM
nickg123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been looking to sell my Clio Dimma to get a GTI-R, having been on the GTI-R owners club i have to say i'm really really put off - they seem to be very opinionated about their cars, and have called me a "****" for advertising my car on their site for sale or part-ex for a GTI-R.

Anyway, just wondered why Subaru owners aren't like this, whenever i've been on this site - i've had nothing but good advice and help!

Pat on the back to you all - this site is a pleasant place to visit ;-)
Old 05 February 2003, 10:17 AM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I think they must be the ***** for saying it.
Does it not make you want to go for a Subaru instead?
Old 05 February 2003, 10:24 AM
jamin
Scooby Regular

I read your post nick and you didn't deserve to be called a tw8t at all, I thought it was out of order especially as I have seen other cars being sold on there from time to time.
We're not all bad...honestly
Ben
(GTIROC member)
Old 05 February 2003, 10:31 AM
nickg123
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the support Jamin - it just put me off a bit certainly about the owners club as i said in my post - i've never seen people act like that in any owners club i've ever been in!?! Just sad really that there are people like that!
Old 05 February 2003, 10:41 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Talking

i know alot of Gtir/scoobie/lancer etc owners and all are good guys but as in all walks of life some peeps take it all TOO seriously... im sure u just met the worst of the bunch as they are always the most vocal... it can get pretty bad here too

good luck with your choice...
Old 05 February 2003, 10:45 AM
LadyCruzer
Scooby Regular

Hey Nick

Ive seen this kind of attitude on here, on LOADS of VW club forums and now on the GTiR forums... ive written a little reply to ur post in the for sale section of the R boards too!
Old 05 February 2003, 10:49 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nick,
Buy A Subaru mate, I promise you , you won't regret it.
Cheers
Colin
Old 05 February 2003, 10:52 AM
briitts
Scooby Newbie

Ineed, as I said on the GTIROC forum calling you a **** was out of order, and I am sure the poster will aplogoies in due course.

The tiolet comment was said in jest, as its obvious to anyone that your car is quite special. BUT its a Renualt, and I have had bad times with these makes! LOL, it was a Reno 5 mind you.
Old 05 February 2003, 11:03 AM
LadyCruzer
Scooby Regular

*cough* Nicks had one of those too *cough*
Old 05 February 2003, 11:04 AM
nickg123
Scooby Regular

*cough* and it blew up too *cough* lol - seriously though, i've had 2 Clio 16v's and never had a problem with either!
Old 05 February 2003, 11:10 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You'll find there will always be a group of people that are opinionated about their cars.

I've seen it with Subarus, Evos, Skylines, GTIRs and the Veedubs.

Although like with all these things, you'll also find people willing to share and offer advice and help.

Although I'm no longer a Subaru owner, I still use this board and go to the Surrey Meets and I like to think I'm welcome!!! Of course I get the odd comment about owning a mk2 Golf now, but what the hell!!!
Old 05 February 2003, 12:48 PM
RA Jaay
Scooby Regular

Yep you will find this attitude on here and the Evo site and MkIV site etc. The majority of peeps on these Forums are very **** about their cars and nothing else compares, so joining these Forums can leave you without a head. There are however, people who will join up and just rant on about how there m8s Cossie thrashed a scoob by 100000000000 mph in the town centre, these are the peeps that should get the rough treatment.

I started off with Vauxhalls and Vw, Vauxhall dont get well received on here for numerous reasons, Ive worked my way upto a scoob and I plan to go beyond but you wont cath me forgetting my mechanical roots so to speak, i'd leave all that Elitest Snobbery to the silver Spoon weilding sphinctors.
Old 05 February 2003, 01:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Takes all sorts. There are some on here who would get all snooty if you were trying to sell the Clio on here.

Same thing on th GTi-R board I guess.

There's a lot of nice people on both boards, just seems that most of the not so nice ones stick in our memories.

I've certainly met a few very opinionated scooby and RS owners and it annoys me, as I love all kinds of nice cars.
Old 05 February 2003, 01:27 PM
petey
Scooby Regular

yep a ride around in a scooby and you get flashed up by every other scooby on the road! wikid community spirit
Old 05 February 2003, 03:40 PM
dave_gt
Scooby Regular

I am a new member but have read the message boards for a while to get a feel for what the cars may be like to own as I might be buying one soon. I've found it to be helpful and not in the least arrogant in the "our cars are better than anyone elses" way. A similar atmosphere is apparent on the Nissan 200SX message board. Best way to be I think.
Old 05 February 2003, 03:54 PM
petey
Scooby Regular

damn right

Old 05 February 2003, 05:23 PM
Mad4it
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nick, dont buy either car, buy a GTTurbo. Much more reliable, and quicker.
Old 06 February 2003, 10:12 AM
LadyCruzer
Scooby Regular

U cant try and be serious about things like that mate... i mean, hes had an R5 and hes already said it blew up lol

Nick - just keep thinking Pulsar mate!
Old 06 February 2003, 10:24 AM
Mad4it
Scooby Regular

A car is only as reliable as the person that looks after it, and the place in where the car has been rebuilt, or had modified parts fitted.

Some cars respond better to being modified than others.

Renault 5 GTTurbo's are very good cars as long as they are in the right hands. Unfortunately, the GTTurbo scene is tarnished with the brush that attracts young boy racers/ trainee mechanics, who turn up the boost, and wonder why the car has blown a head gasket.

There are a lot of good and careful GTTurbo owners out there, including someone who has a 357bhp GTTurbo 1.4 turbo, and uses it every day, and having been in it, can say that it would take an extremely quick Scoob/GTiR to keep up with it.
Old 06 February 2003, 02:06 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

A car is only as reliable as the person that looks after it, and the place in where the car has been rebuilt, or had modified parts fitted.
well siad Mad!!!
Old 08 February 2003, 06:22 PM
GINGA
Scooby Regular

Nick
I would just like to point out that Jon(the person who called you a ****)doesn't even own a gtir anymore(any only did so for a few months anyway),and had no right to say what he did,why he did it who knows? and I'm sorry some of the others jumped on the band wagon its not normally like that on there,made even worse by the fact that you were actually planning on buying a gtir and was hoping someone would do a px with you.I hope it hasn't changed your mind about getting one but it wouldn't suprise me if it did as its not what you'd expect and doesn't look good for the future when something like that happens.

Old 08 February 2003, 07:37 PM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

All clubs have the odd person who says the wrong thing on their forum, and its up to their moderators to address this if required, and we do, but most comments like this can be just a wind up. As a we have nothing but praise in the GTIROC from most users, I wouldn't take it to heart, most of us are willing to help with information and advice.
Old 08 February 2003, 08:08 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Must admit I have been playing on the GTIROC and they seem a friendly bunch no adverse comments just a bit of banter . Must admit there are always people who dont agree or wont listen to valid arguments, normally in the pub rather than ion the net . Its not worth worrying about IMHO.

[Edited by chrisp - 2/8/2003 8:11:58 PM]
Old 02 May 2003, 11:16 AM
briitts
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

You own a MkII Golf!

Thats a cool car, much better than the lumps of metal that were made after that. Defo the best Golf, especially the 16V.

Still, could be worse at least you dont own a Ford Ka

[Edited by briitts - 2/5/2003 11:22:03 AM]