Someones just hit my car!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2003, 09:41 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

..and failed to stop [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Only a very light scratch to the rear off-side bumper but thats not the point...the cvnt knew he'd made contact as he looked across in an apologetic manner as he went past. If I hadnt been in a filter lane I would have gone after him, but its probably a good thing I didnt get hold of him...
I got his reg and as I'm in the motor-trade I have HPi'd his car, i could track his address via contacts with the finance company he owes money for the car to, but again I'm not sure how i'd react face to face..

I'm fvcking seething..gonna get the valeter from work to see if she can mend my bumper with a bit of polish and elbow grease..but its the principle of the thing..

..hope his *** falls off - ****** [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05 February 2003, 09:46 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 05 February 2003, 09:48 AM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that Richard !
Old 05 February 2003, 09:48 AM
Colin P
Scooby Regular

Calm down for a couple of days, then decide on your revenge tactics.
There's always a way when the mist has cleared.

Colin
Old 05 February 2003, 09:50 AM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

i bumped a parked car on monday - i am paying for the ladies car and mine to be repaired - gonna cost a few quid.(grand plus)

i could easily have bu6gered off too, but i made sure i found the lady who was in her house oblivious to all.
she was fine about it and grateful that i was honest.

by far the best policy.

track this git down and make him pay!

weava
Old 05 February 2003, 09:51 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I think I would just send him a letter then Rich or get his number from BT and call him. That way if you lose your rag it wont end up in an assault case
Old 05 February 2003, 09:52 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

.....exactly, it's the principle of the thing..... I'd find him and then either get him to stump up the cash or threaten to take it further. ***** like that shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

"He looked apologetic" - I'm sure he was....more like "please don't get my reg and claim insurance"

Sorry to hear about this Richard - if it was me in your position, I'd find out who he was and get in touch....friendly like of course!
Old 05 February 2003, 09:53 AM
Blackbird
Scooby Newbie

I agree with needing to take the time to calm down, but he's a b###ard, you have to go after him. Odds are that such a dishonourable tw#t probably hasn't got insurance, MoT etc, etc
Old 05 February 2003, 09:55 AM
TolTec
Scooby Regular

If you find him try being polite, at least at first anyway, you never know it might work. If he had stopped just think of the traffic jam that might of been caused inconveniencing many people for the sake of a minor incident.

He was still a prat for damaging your car and I am sure I would have seen red too.

I hope you get the car sorted out Ok and well done for not ripping his throat out!
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

I'd call the police and tell them what happened, and tell them that the other guy didn't stop. Failing to stop is an offence, and there is always the worry that the other guy calls them and claims you didn't stop.

A while ago someone very kindly veered out of their (oncoming) lane and knocked my wing mirror off. I called the police to report it, as they didn't stop, but because I didn't have witnesses or a registration, they couldn't do anything. However, I wanted to make sure that I had at least made an effort to report it in case the other driver reported it and there was any comeback on me.

Hope you get it sorted out.
pbee
Scooby Regular

you could always send him a nice carefully worded letter, explaining if he didnt get in touch you will take the matter further with the police / solicitor.

explain to him how much it will cost to put right and the threat of police / solicitor / small claims court will put the shivers down his spine and he will cough up.
Old 05 February 2003, 10:01 AM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Angry

I'd definitely call the police, you just never know what the other guy might do! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

AJ
Old 05 February 2003, 10:16 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

..there are plenty of ways to skin a cat.. he's going to have insurance because it was a new X reg Golf..

Looked at the bumper with the valeter and she thinks it'll be OK

Still not the point though.. I'm half tempted to report his car stolen on HPi just to cause him significant hassles over the next week or two..
Old 05 February 2003, 10:19 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Annoying when people are so blatantly inconsiderate but it is only a
light scratch
and it'll polish out

He's probably that stupid, he didn't realise he'd even made contact with your car [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Still, at least your mate didn't blow your engine up whilst working on your car and leave you with a bill for £3,567.85 [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Hate to think how you'd react to that one if you are flippin your lid over a
light scratch

It ain't worth all the hassle, just forget it mate and hope to stumble across this plonker's car when it's parked somewhere
Old 05 February 2003, 10:22 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

SiPie - thats not really the point though, is it?
Old 05 February 2003, 10:28 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Why not just report him to the police and get him done for leaving the scene of an accident and dangerous driving - they were quite keen when a similar thing happened to me.
Old 05 February 2003, 10:36 AM
skottmdk
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

I would calm down mate, how do you know he did not get your reg number and is trying to contact you so apologise and offer to pay for the cost of the damage to your car??

No point in giving him grief when he may be an honest guy.

Wait a bit.

Scott
Old 05 February 2003, 10:58 AM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

cannot help but think that your comment that because he was in a x reg golf he was insured?!?!?!?!?!how do you work that out??????needs reporting simple as that..he should have stopped...and you should report it or your as bad as him...
Old 05 February 2003, 11:13 AM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

mate, dont bother doing the reported stolen on HPi cos that will make you look a little silly.

Just call the old bill and report him for failing to stop at the scene of an accident, and also call your insurance company and put in a claim, that should put his premium up nicely when he comes to renew!

Just my opinion so dont flame me.

Thanks

Dan
Old 05 February 2003, 11:16 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Why not just report him to the police and get him done for leaving the scene of an accident and dangerous driving - they were quite keen when a similar thing happened to me.
...which these days is a rarity in itself....[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Rich,

Tell the cops and try and convince them to do something about it m8! (and then claim off his insurance (assuming he has some)).

Matt.
Old 05 February 2003, 11:20 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Bummer, what a **** for not stopping!

Hope you get it sorted!
Old 05 February 2003, 11:21 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

seems to be taking the p**s a bit by not stopping if he knew he'd touched your car.

git
Old 05 February 2003, 11:39 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Deep breath, Richard, and count to ten.....

Is the cost of repair worth even the minimal hassle of solicitors' letters/small claims court? Sounds like not, to be honest!! Have you a witness?? Are you prepared to put up with the cost and rather greater hassle of a contested claim?? Have you any feel for the scale of damage to his car, albeit self-inflicted?

Technically, I'm sure you should report the incident for self-protection..... but not if the red mist continues to suggest direct action on a personal basis Can't see the Police putting too much effort into the "leaving the scene" aspect given that (apparently) there was minimal damage, of which none to human beings.

Direct Action/personal visit??? You know it doesn't make sense!

IF you've reported the incident to police, then consider a letter holding him responsible, containing your estimate of the repair cost, advising him to pass your letter to his insurance company before you identify and contact them (remember, the cost of repair is likely to be less than his excess) and inviting him settle the account when received. You would properly include the details of your own policy. Which takes you back into the "what if he resists" territory.

Some time ago, I put my towbar ball (at 2mph while parking) into the under-bumper valance plate of a classic Merc E-Class, putting in a minor dent but not even breaking the paintwork. I, and the aggrieved party, did the honest thing, and I got such a letter, which I passed to my insurance company. And never heard from the other side again - why? - 'cos it just wasn't worth their while to pursue even an honest party for such minor damage.

No comfort, I know, but 'fraid that's the best course here, however personally aggrieved you feel

Sorry!

Phil
Old 05 February 2003, 11:52 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

All reported to the feds.. gotta wait and see now..
Old 05 February 2003, 12:45 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Angry

Had the same problem with my car being hit and the driver not stopping but my car was unanttended at the time.

Resulting damage of 7k just for parts, 9.9k inc labour and paint to get it back on the road! And no-one to get revenge on.

The front wing, bonnet and wheel, bumper and suspension is fooked. There is also a large rip in the side. Windscreen shattered. Air con unit destroyed, lights smashed, steering wheel and dashboard both deployed airbags.

I'd love to know what hit it. Juggernaut maybe...?

So far teh insurance co have decided to write it off twice and repair it twice as they can't put a value on it. Still I sold the car yesterday for 14k. Lost 4k on it from the smash and had to claim of my own insurance. ****!
Old 05 February 2003, 12:59 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

A bloke from work got six points and a substantial fine for clipping someones wing mirror and not stopping.

You have done the right thing by reporting it, hopefully they will take similar action. Chap from work deserved it anyway as he drives like an idiot.
Old 05 February 2003, 01:14 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Rich,
what a ******* git! Prob a good thing you did not go after him, but he would have shat himself when you got out of the car.

Hope the valeter can sort it for you.

Old 05 February 2003, 01:28 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] b@stardo!
Old 05 February 2003, 01:46 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

just report it to the police and get some pictures as evidence, then write him a letter if advising of th damage if it can't be polished out. Simple and straightforward.

Old 05 February 2003, 01:52 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Sorry to hear this mate!

Atleast it was minor and can be sorted

Quick Reply: Someones just hit my car!!